Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Land Rover Defender VRT query

Options
  • 07-09-2020 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

I want to import an ex-military Land Rover Defender Wolf soft top 2.5 litre diesel 300TDi from the UK.

The model I'm looking at has two front seats and two foldable benches in the back. I am happy to remove the benches if necessary to make it a two seater for Vehicle Registration Tax purposes.

Does anyone know if Revenue will accept this as a commercial vehicle and are there any other issues I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

I want to import an ex-military Land Rover Defender Wolf soft top 2.5 litre diesel 300TDi from the UK.

The model I'm looking at has two front seats and two foldable benches in the back. I am happy to remove the benches if necessary to make it a two seater for Vehicle Registration Tax purposes.

Does anyone know if Revenue will accept this as a commercial vehicle and are there any other issues I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.[/quote

What year is it? If it’s a 1990 or older then you’ll only be paying classic vrt. If it’s newer do the rear benches have seat belts? If not then remove the benches for the VRT and it should be fine to registered as a commercial. You might need VAT number to tax it as a commercial

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Won't the Log Book/Vehicle Registration Certificate/V5 state whether it's classed as a private or commercial 'jeep' :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

Thanks for the replies. Asking these questions for my son. ðŸ˜

I’m not sure our system will agree with the UK classifications. Is it as simple as that?

I think this is more of a military spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Thanks for the replies. Asking these questions for my son. ðŸ˜

I’m not sure our system will agree with the UK classifications. Is it as simple as that?

I think this is more of a military spec.

Just wondering if your son followed through with this as am looking at similar in the UK.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

Revenue said they go on what’s stated on the UK VC5. He has sent them a scan of a potential purchase and asked for their opinion. It states two seats.
    All vehicles are subject to inspection so it’s hard to get a definitive answer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement