Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Startup Issues

Options
  • 07-09-2020 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. A few years back, I built this for the brother, all going well since up to last week, when he goes to turn on the PC it makes the startup whirr, then powers off and keeps going in a loop like that. Need to disconnect the power cable to get it to stop. Nothing comes up on screen at any point, it's like it powers down again before the BIOS, so can't get in to anything to test safe mode, etc.

Build:

Intel Xeon E3-1230v2, boxed, LGA1155
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost EditionWindforce 2X, 2GB GDDR5, VGA, 2x DVI, HDMI
    Cooler Master N300, ATX-Midi-Tower, schwarz, ohne Netzteil
    LiteOn iHAS124-04 schwarz SATA
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s (replaced with Samsung 1Tb SSD)
    8GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL9
    be quiet! Pure Power L7 530 Watt
    ASRock Z77 Pro4, Sockel 1155, ATX

On advice from a friend, I've swapped out the PSU and reseated the ram, but the same issue persists. He reckons it could be the MB. Anyone any advice or suggestions? And if it's the MB, would a straight swap be the best (if it can be found, quick Google is only giving me refurbs), or would you recommend an upgrade that doesn't cost more than €200?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£91.98 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£62.93 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£54.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £209.89
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-07 20:00 BST+0100

Only issue is you'd have to buy from somewhere that will flash that Motherboard for compatibility with the CPU. Oh and It's over budget but just giving you a point of reference to check against the refurbished motherboard cost.

Edit: I see a couple of cheaper boards to bring it down a bit. Shop around to find one flashed, or flashable by the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I had that MB,is there not an LED indicator that gives you an error code on boot? I could have sworn there was.

If not there's definitely a speaker header on the board,should get error code based on amount of beeps the speaker makes.

EDIT: So just had a look at my old manual,chasis speaker header labelled 19 on the MB layout page. No LED readout,i must have been thinking the Extreme 4 which did have the LED error code

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor (£91.98 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£62.93 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£54.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £209.89
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-07 20:00 BST+0100

Only issue is you'd have to buy from somewhere that will flash that Motherboard for compatibility with the CPU. Oh and It's over budget but just giving you a point of reference to check against the refurbished motherboard cost.

Edit: I see a couple of cheaper boards to bring it down a bit. Shop around to find one flashed, or flashable by the seller.

This day all.b450 come with ryzen 3000 compatible bioses anyway. This MB is horrible thought, I'd get ASRock pro4 instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Can you try memory and gpu in another computer have you reset cmos battery
    Does the fan run
    Remove any new hardware
    Any beep codes you might need sound card

CPUs never go bad
    Did you put new paste on when you put cpu back
    Can you pick up cheap motherboard used
    Before that check power supply

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/motherboard-shutting-down-shortly-after-power-up.213984/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Better Motherboard. Still not great but we're working to a budget here and Hardware Unboxed gave it a sorta thumbs up back in the day.

• Advertisement

Id defo do more investigating and make sure its the motherboard before dropping any money on a 7 Yr old motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

A320M with M2, Ryzen 3100 + 16GB DDR4 is close to €200 new and it's a decent upgrade, with a new platform, and much newer features.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sound for everything folks. I'll try and convince him to up his budget and maybe bring it a bit more up to date, probably for the best anyway, but in the meantime...

Here's a link to what happens. No LED I believe on the MB, and no beeps. Just spins and cuts out mid-spin, repeat.

https://youtu.be/w-kAFMsMRFY

Edit: Sorry for the delayed responses, I'm at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Before you dismantle anything, can you try a different GPU?
    AFAIK, the Xeon has no integrated graphics, so you need a separate discrete card.

Hmm, I could try taking the HD 7850 from mine and put it in his. CPU has its own HDMI connector, would that mean I could try booting without the GPU and it should work?

• Advertisement

Hmm, I could try taking the HD 7850 from mine and put it in his. CPU has its own HDMI connector, would that mean I could try booting without the GPU and it should work?

The motherboard has an HDMI connector, but the CPU doesn't have the circuit to power that.

Ah got ya. I'll try that tomorrow so. Thanks!

You would have to attach the below to the header on the board to hear the beeps.

Might just be better off upgrading if he has the cash

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Ah got ya. I'll try that tomorrow so. Thanks!

I'd take the cpu if you eventually sell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭pah

Hi all. A few years back, I built this for the brother, all going well since up to last week, when he goes to turn on the PC it makes the startup whirr, then powers off and keeps going in a loop like that. Need to disconnect the power cable to get it to stop. Nothing comes up on screen at any point, it's like it powers down again before the BIOS, so can't get in to anything to test safe mode, etc.

Build:

Intel Xeon E3-1230v2, boxed, LGA1155
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost EditionWindforce 2X, 2GB GDDR5, VGA, 2x DVI, HDMI
    Cooler Master N300, ATX-Midi-Tower, schwarz, ohne Netzteil
    LiteOn iHAS124-04 schwarz SATA
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s (replaced with Samsung 1Tb SSD)
    8GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL9
    be quiet! Pure Power L7 530 Watt
    ASRock Z77 Pro4, Sockel 1155, ATX

On advice from a friend, I've swapped out the PSU and reseated the ram, but the same issue persists. He reckons it could be the MB. Anyone any advice or suggestions? And if it's the MB, would a straight swap be the best (if it can be found, quick Google is only giving me refurbs), or would you recommend an upgrade that doesn't cost more than €200?

Very similar issues with 2 different machines in the last few years for friends. Ended up being the mobo on both occasions. Straight swap with a replacement from eBay was the easiest fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Funny enough I've got a couple of computers given to me to look at last week with the same issue, no beeps no lights no codes just spins up fans for a second then off and repeats.

Tried everything bar new motherboard or new cpu...

ones a h77 pro4-m and the second is an intel mobo still lga1155 doing similar

Maybe there was a self destruct button someone pressed :)

I hope not, my own is a ASRock Z77 Pro3! Strange issue though. Didn't get a chance to try the GPU today, and I'm "working" now.

Finally got around to swapping the gpus, no difference. When I first tried it, I only got a flashing power button, wiggling a few cables and it started boot but ended the same, powering off within a second or two, no beeps (but dont have that speaker attachment) and no picture.

Seems to be pointing towards MB. Anyone got any good suggestions for a replacement that'll work with the rest of the setup above? Preferably from 150-300, especially if other parts will need an upgrade too.

Thanks again folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£130.62 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£84.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Team T-FORCE DARK Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£57.34 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2 GB Video Card (Purchased For £0.00)
    Case: Cooler Master N300 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For £0.00)
    Power Supply: be quiet! 530 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
    Total: £272.94
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-13 23:11 BST+0100

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£130.62 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£84.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Team T-FORCE DARK Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£57.34 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2 GB Video Card (Purchased For £0.00)
    Case: Cooler Master N300 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For £0.00)
    Power Supply: be quiet! 530 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
    Total: £272.94
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-13 23:11 BST+0100

Thanks for that. Brother only got back to me now. Would I need to replace the cpu and ram? Also, quite cheap, I was expecting more tbh!

Would these be an improvement?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I sorted out the first pc with a straight swap of the same motherboard from ebay, around 45 euro.

Second board on the way to fix the other, but 115 euro as it was a better motherboard.

Just in case you were still wondering if it was the motherboard or psu / ram etc causing it I think you're safe to assume it's his motherboard as well.

Thanks for that. Brother only got back to me now. Would I need to replace the cpu and ram? Also, quite cheap, I was expecting more tbh!

Would these be an improvement?

That's CPU, RAM & motherboard in that list.

You wouldn't be able to use any of those parts from the older build as they're completely incompatible (Intel LGA1155 socket, DDR3 RAM).

However the following parts can be reused:
    GTX 650 Ti (GPU)
    CoolerMaster N300 (case)
    DVD drive
    SSD drive(s)
    be quiet 530W (PSU)

It is a much-improved CPU, however you'll be bottlenecked by the GPU in games.

Awesome. He doesn't game, its mainly for music production, lots of VSTs, etc, so I believe the ram and cpu are more important. He'll have the money Tuesday so I'll go with that. Thanks for the help. I can build them, I'm just useless at picking compatible parts!

Parts are en route. Just reading up on replacing motherboards, will this be a simple swap or will it require a fresh install? Typically, he had only 1 drive, so I'm unsure if he'll lose that.

Clarified with a mate that should be simple swap, so hopefully that'll be good.

Anyone have any recommendations for different RAM? Have the CPU and MB, still no dispatch on the RAM and no update since purchased. Might need to cancel and order something else from somewhere else. This is where I fall down with picking parts, there's so many DDR4 3200 types out there, I've no idea which would be best/suitable.

TEAMGROUP MODULO MEMORIA RAM DDR4 16GB(2X8G) PC3200 DARK Z

Corsair Vengeance LPX or Crucial Ballistix.

3200 CL16 or 3000 CL15

65-70 euro from most vendors.

Ended up getting the Crucial Ballistix on Thursday, should be delivered Monday and hopefully all sorted then! Thanks! Got a crash course on RAM and while quite simple, I think it'll do me going forward.

Alright, all parts here. Put it all together, connected up the cables and nada. Nothing happening when I push the power button. Double checked all cables and as far as I can tell they're all in right. The only thing throwing me is the second power cables (if I'm calling that right). Have the 24pin connected, and then I have 2 cables that look like they go together, CPU1 P4 and CPU2 P8. Whether I connect both, one, the other or neither, there's no change.

Any ideas?

Alright, all parts here. Put it all together, connected up the cables and nada. Nothing happening when I push the power button. Double checked all cables and as far as I can tell they're all in right. The only thing throwing me is the second power cables (if I'm calling that right). Have the 24pin connected, and then I have 2 cables that look like they go together, CPU1 P4 and CPU2 P8. Whether I connect both, one, the other or neither, there's no change.

Any ideas?

You don't get anything at all lighting up on the motherboard?
    If so, maybe check that the PSU is plugged into the wall, and the little button at the back is in the ON position.

After that, I would do the paper clip test for the PSU. If that works, I would disconnect as much as possible and try just PSU with motherboard/CPU/one-RAM-stick. As long as you are able to POST, you can keep adding things (e.g. all the RAM, then GPU, and so on).

The point is to detect at which point things stop working.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the advice. I searched the house and couldn't find a single paperclip, so I removed the psu from my own and put it into his. Still nothing (reconnected mine and works fine). I double checked the cables are correct and they should be. Nothing happening when pressing the power button, as if its not plugged in.

A mate reckons its a DOA motherboard. When it was delivered (from Amazon) there was no outside amazon box, just the box the mb came in, and there was a hole in it. I reckon it might have been damaged in transit. Anyone know how one returns to Amazon if I had to use parcel motel for delivery (don't ship to Ireland, something that's becoming a lot more common with amazon).

Advertisement