Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Startup Issues

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Anyone know how one returns to Amazon if I had to use parcel motel for delivery (don't ship to Ireland, something that's becoming a lot more common with amazon).

I'd say open the Amazon support chat and talk to a rep. Tell them the board doesn't work, and they should give you all the steps needed to get it replaced. They might post the replacement to you immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I had problems with greeting my car back for the nct due today, and then this happening, I knew it wouldn't be a good day. I put the old mb in, put in 1x8gb ram (from my pc, I took his 4x4gb), left the gpu disconnected and it feckin booted. No picture however, but instead of powering off and on over and over, it sounded like it would in a normal power on. The power button turns it off immediately though, whereas I'm pretty sure the power button needs to be held down to power off any other time.

Its still fecked, but by jesus I nearly lost it when it stayed powered on.

Edit: connected the gpu, tried again and its working... ram would hardly cause the initial issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

I had problems with greeting my car back for the nct due today, and then this happening, I knew it wouldn't be a good day. I put the old mb in, put in 1x8gb ram (from my pc, I took his 4x4gb), left the gpu disconnected and it feckin booted. No picture however, but instead of powering off and on over and over, it sounded like it would in a normal power on. The power button turns it off immediately though, whereas I'm pretty sure the power button needs to be held down to power off any other time.

Its still fecked, but by jesus I nearly lost it when it stayed powered on.
    all seem looking wrong direction as classic symptoms of HD failure -- hence never reach boot
    as bios fails to register HD.
    simple if using linux as replace HD or boot with "live distro" then attempt to mount old to
    attempt save data off old hd.
    i can always be mistaken but been there with attempting to add failed HD to mb in linux.
    along with adding a failed HD to existing linux and given kernel failure and no boot.
    if you windows well lash in repair disk or a boot disk and try repair.
    if windows do yourself a favour and download and try pclinux os from distrowatch
    it will run well on your stated hardware (hd aside).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

She's not running Linux, Win10 Pro, and no HD, using only a 1tb ssd. I'm in it now, is there anything I could/should run yo show possible problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

She's not running Linux, Win10 Pro, and no HD, using only a 1tb ssd. I'm in it now, is there anything I could/should run yo show possible problems?
    "in it now " what you mean - ssd can be more trouble than HD - still need to get bios "setup" so need to remove ssd and see
    what bios does with no drive attached. maybe a setting change for ssd as first boot device. can be a litle awkward
    as i know some boards with "old" ide and sata and raid would not boot and see sata if ide drive attached.
    look at "linux forums" as far as ssd is concerned and you will see common issues with the workarounds.
    some boards have bios locked cache which needs a swap of pins to clear before bios will act.
    win10 i thought most had accepted win took a lot out of win7 and 8 so loss of "useability" for the gain
    of touchscreen.that also goes for changes in bios's.
    dont need to use linux to benefit from knowledge in "linux forums", open and free access to experience
    and knowledge of users across the planet.
    A point to note different linux distrobutions like slackware\linux mint etc. have had issues with ssd so
    linux not perfect in all cases but more stable and usable than win.

• Advertisement
Advertisement