Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most lights on ceiling circuit will not work

Options
  • 07-09-2020 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Last week, we turned on the light in one of the upstairs bedrooms. Was a decorative chandelier type light with three bulbs. Was a bang and all lights in the chandelier went out, as did all the other lights on the same circuit. The fuse on the fuseboard tripped. After resetting the fuse and replacing the blown bulb, I’m still having problems. Only some of the upstairs now work. The others sometimes flicker, or else don’t come on at all. When I move some of them to another circuit they work fine. Some of the lights which are not working are the sunken LED type lights, but others are the more standard LED bulbs.

Any idea what the problem might be? I haven’t noticed any loose connections on the other bulbs. The lights on the circuit which are working are all in adjacent rooms to each other, and the lights which are giving trouble are also in adjacent rooms to each other too.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Dtwhite123 wrote: »
    Last week, we turned on the light in one of the upstairs bedrooms. Was a decorative chandelier type light with three bulbs. Was a bang and all lights in the chandelier went out, as did all the other lights on the same circuit. The fuse on the fuseboard tripped. After resetting the fuse and replacing the blown bulb, I’m still having problems. Only some of the upstairs now work. The others sometimes flicker, or else don’t come on at all. When I move some of them to another circuit they work fine. Some of the lights which are not working are the sunken LED type lights, but others are the more standard LED bulbs.

Any idea what the problem might be? I haven’t noticed any loose connections on the other bulbs. The lights on the circuit which are working are all in adjacent rooms to each other, and the lights which are giving trouble are also in adjacent rooms to each other too.

Thanks!

Check the switch for the chandelier. Are the feeds looped at the switches or the light fittings in your house?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dtwhite123

aido79 wrote: »
    Check the switch for the chandelier. Are the feeds looped at the switches or the light fittings in your house?

I don't know enough about electrics to answer this unfortuantely! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Dtwhite123 wrote: »
    I don't know enough about electrics to answer this unfortuantely! :o
    Then you need to call in a sparks if you can't spot any obvious loose connection in the switch or ceiling rose.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dtwhite123

Then you need to call in a sparks if you can't spot any obvious loose connection in the switch or ceiling rose.

Grand - thanks - that's probably the most prudent route

• Advertisement
Advertisement