Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide : Greatest FIFA World Cup Goal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Gemill for me too

Loved the Cameroon story in Italia 90 and they were robbed against England but Gemill's goal is way better

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

10 minutes remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Omackeral wrote: »
    10 minutes remaining.
    tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Archie Gemmil

Thats not even millas best goal at that WC...poor selection

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Gemill 6 - 0 Milla

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,705 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Del Piero if not too late to vote

Gemil.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Del Piero if not too late to vote

That was 2 matches ago :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Really enjoy watching these goals again, even if I've seen them all before. The greatest goals get better the harder you look at them.

Sublime vs Ridiculous coming up...

• Advertisement

Roberto Baggio (Italy vs Czechoslovakia, 1990)

VS

Tim Cahill (Australia vs Netherlands, 2014)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Tim Cahill all day! Baggio goal suffers from poor defending, Cahill's goal has ridiculous technique, off the bar only adds to the aesthetic

Baggio's goal would win a few one on ones and usually I think single hit goals aren't as impressive as intricate goals, but I have to go with Cahill here.

There's such purity in his connection with the ball, power in the shot itself and precision in how it crashes in off the bar.

A player connecting with meaty volley onto a dropping ball is one of the most fundamentally satisfying sights in football, and they don't get much sweeter than Cahill's goal there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Cahill all day for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Cahill

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Tim Cahill. Incredible volley that should go a long way in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Roberto Baggio

Tippy-tappy one-two, forceful run like a tip-toeing rhino on the rampage, balletic dummy that sends the defender into orbit, smashing the onion net with the composure of a great Italian chef; more poetic than an operatic opus from Pavarotti! The divine ponytail left a trail of divs and donkeys in his wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Baggio, as its a great goal and not getting near enough love on this thread

Baggio and his tippy toeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Great match up this.

Cahill for me though. Full volleys are great and crossbars are even better. Such a sweet strike and a big goal for Australia.

Shame because I love baggios as well but Cahills is another level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,705 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Baggio 3 - 7 Cahill

A great battle in the middle of that bout with a resurgence from the Italian but that thunderbastard from Cahill had too much in the end. Coming up is a battle of the South American powerhouses with two completly different types of goals. Interested to get your thoughts on this next match-up...

Ronaldinho (Brazil vs England, 2002)

VS

Estaban Cambiasso (Argentina vs Serbia, 2006)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Cambiasso. I still think Seaman's dodgy positioning is a large factor in that goal by Ronaldinho and I'll not hear anything to dissuade me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Cambiasso hands down for me. Unbelievable move with almost everyone involved.

Never really rated Ronaldinhos all that highly. I’d have it as bad goal keeping more so than anything exceptional from him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Cambiasso. Crap keeping from Seaman caused the other one, so not a classic for me.

I'm going to go with Ronaldinho here. Seaman's positioning was off, but he couldn't have expected Ronaldinho to even think about going for it from there, let alone doing it. And I think Ronaldinho totally meant it - look at how he looks up and how he shapes to strike the ball.

That Cambiasso goal is a brilliant team goal, but it's also wildly overrated. 26 passes, but about 20 are just recycling possession. The final few passes are very nifty, but it's still overrated in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Ronaldinho for the sheer audacity of trying it.
    Seeing the keeper off his line, and then executing that kick, over that distance, with that accuracy

For the other one, quantity of passes does not make quality. Most of the passes in the build up are just knocking it round the halfway line unchallenged, I could do that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

That Argentina goal never did it for me, so Ronaldhino.

Advertisement