Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide : Greatest FIFA World Cup Goal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Arghus wrote: »
    I'm going to go with Ronaldinho here. Seaman's positioning was off, but he couldn't have expected Ronaldinho to even think about going for it from there, let alone doing it. And I think Ronaldinho totally meant it - look at how he looks up and how he shapes to strike the ball.

That Cambiasso goal is a brilliant team goal, but it's also wildly overrated. 26 passes, but about 20 are just recycling possession. The final few passes are very nifty, but it's still overrated in my book.
    Great minds ;)
    Only saw yours after typing mine

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

5 minutes to go here...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

it's a draw at the moment, right?

I will vote for Ronaldinho as well.
    Althogh Seaman is out of position, look at that trajectory of the ball, and where the ball meets the net. I'm not sure Seaman would have stopped it even if he was in the right position.

Ronaldinho 4-3 Cambiasso

Great win from 3-0 down :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ah crap, Boards froze on me just before I could get my vote in for Cambiasso. :(

From 0-3 down to 4-3, that's one hell of a comeback! The next match arguably has two of the best ever in it in my opinion and it's really hard to predict who is gonna come through it. Will be up in just a little while though because there seems to be a few 503 errors corrupting boards at the minute...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I am genuinely shocked by that

I am genuinely shocked by that

Are we back online properly!?
    500px-SMPTE_Color_Bars.svg.png

• Advertisement

Next bout coming up momentarily and it's a doozy...

Diego Maradona (Argentina vs England, 1986)

VS

Dennis Bergkamp (Netherlands vs Argentina, 1998)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Ouch

Maradona's goal is glorious - the spin to get away from two or three at the start, and the way he keeps close control despite the ball bobbling on the ****e pitch all the way through.

Yet I can't help think that the tackles - Fenwick's in particular - are pathetic.

Bergkamp's goal is also absolute quality - and it doesn't have that drawback. What the Argentina do wrong? They were unpinned by greatness; England gave greatness a helping hand.

So I'm going for Bergkamp here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Christ Omackeral. Why you do us like this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Bergkamp. I just think it's one of the most perfect goals ever scored. Second possibly to THAT goal against Newcastle:

That is a great draw

Bergkamp for me. It just has more to it. The control from the long ball is immaculate, the second touch takes the pıss and the finish is perfect

Maradona's is obviously great too, but the defence isn't great and really he should have passed earlier :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Maradona....has to be

Shame because its too early for bergkamps to be gone

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Indeed a tough one.

Bergkamp for me too. The control to stop a 30-40 meter ball and the finish with the opposite spin. World class.

Jimmy McGees commentary of Maradonas goal summed it up...

Different class.......DIFFERENT CLASS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Bergkamp for me too.

If I think of the best goals from my childhood that's right up there. I wasn't old enough to see Maradona in 86 and as great a goal as it is it just doesn't bring back happy memories like Bergkamp's one!

The goal Necro linked above is my favourite ever goal and I was a diehard United fan back then!

Just an amazing player!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I don't think there would be any complaints if this was the final. But just like a proper World Cup, you often get two big hitters in an early round (Dutch v West Germany 1990, Spain v France 2006)

I'm gonna have to go with Bergkamp, it was just sublime

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

With a heavy heart, because I do love that Bergkamp goal, I think I'll have to go Maradona.

His skill to make space for himself is genius, different class some might say, and then his close control at speed is Superhuman. The tackling isn't top drawer, but I think Maradona makes them look pathetic - it's a combination of his control, his pace and his ability to wrong foot defenders with slight changes in movement. And then the final wrong footing of the keeper. Such sustained brilliance.

Bergkamp's goal might be technically flawless, but I just think there's more superlative skills in the Maradona effort: anticipation, speed, touch, control, decision making, distance covered with the ball. It's too good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Maradona goal is generally regarded as greatest goal ever. It has to win this competition outright. It was pure genius.

Bergkamps is perfection to me.

Maradona s is obviously great but sloppy defending definitely helped him out somewhat.

Bergkamp for me

Ah here....maradonas goal has to win this whole competition...its the greatest goal of all time...plus he knocked out the english...what more do ye want!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

It’s ridiculous to see so many on previous page picking bergkamp. Yes it’s a great goal but it’s up against maradona goal that is the most watched goal in history. Some people just wanna argue and protest over anything.

10 minutes remain

It’s ridiculous to see so many on previous page picking bergkamp. Yes it’s a great goal but it’s up against maradona goal that is the most watched goal in history. Some people just wanna argue and protest over anything.
    And yet you've not given a single reason. Just wanna argue and protest?

The integrity of this competition is at stake if maradonas goal doesnt go through....

• Advertisement

Imagine the gall of people to have a differing opinion

Advertisement