Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide : Greatest FIFA World Cup Goal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

1. Maradona. I’ve seen this finish and celebration dozens of times. I did not remember the build up being so slick. Also bonus points for me being coked up whilst doing it

2. Oliseh. Remember going nuts watching this goal. I understand the “screamers have a touch of fluke to them” argument but this was such a pure hit.

3. Oh I Ran the pitch: nice run and goal. But he miscontrols to wrong foot the last defender and I’m not wild about goals where players just run for ages whilst the defence backs off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Omackeral wrote: »
    Cambiasso 17
    Edmilson 13
    Gotze 13

Missed it just happy the right goal won.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

1. Al Owairan
    2. Maradona
    3. Oliseh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I think we all know what's getting my no. 1 here:

1. Maradona: the intricate little passes, the positioning, the placement. Just otherworldly good. The man is a god.

2. Al Owairan

3. Oliseh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

MrKingsley wrote: »
    1. Maradona. I’ve seen this finish and celebration dozens of times. I did not remember the build up being so slick. Also bonus points for me being coked up whilst doing it

2. Oliseh. Remember going nuts watching this goal. I understand the “screamers have a touch of fluke to them” argument but this was such a pure hit.

3. Oh I Ran the pitch: nice run and goal. But he miscontrols to wrong foot the last defender and I’m not wild about goals where players just run for ages whilst the defence backs off

The "screamers have a touch of fluke to them" is normally my argument but I still love that hit! I concur with Mr Kingsley on all three here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Maradona 24
    Al Owairan 18

Oliseh 12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Baggly wrote: »
    Only one winner, but.

*pretends to search notes*

Who won it again, Skyline?

You don't even have a real elephant.

Phonies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

The elephant was in here all along

*points to heart*

Philip Lahm (Germany vs Costa Rica, 2006)

VS

Alessandro Del Piero (Italy vs France, 2006)

VS

Daniel Amokachi (Nigeria vs Greece, 1994)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Del Piero - the run and backheeled assist before the net busting shot

Other two more or less even but I'll go

Lahm - love the top corner rockets.
    Amokachi - some strike in fairness

• Advertisement

Lahm first, great way to start a tournament. Just like Tshabalabalabalaba

Del Piero, extra time to seal it, good counter.

Amokachi is a good goal but they're all good and this has less importance I think.

The elephant was in here all along

*points to heart*

Sentiment is all the elephant side have!

We have a goat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

Lahm
    Amokachi
    Del Piero

Sorry no time for explanation!

1. Del Piero: Context, counter and that finish. I am an absolute sucker for those finishes.

2: this is tight but Amokachi(sp): great finish and holds offs/beats a couple beforehand

3: lahm: Beautiful strike (the second best in that game mind) but unfortunately it was just that. A strike

All three of these would’ve mopped the floor with all 3 in the schillaci group unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

1. Del Piero - the standout. Pure Italian football, every Italian player in their own half at the start of the move, then a lightning break and devastating finish. Lovely hold up from Gilardino, and little reverse pass for Del Piero - and seriously, what a finish. You expect that one to be rolled low into the far bottom corner, rather than an absolute peach into the top corner. So hard, but he made it look so easy.

2. Amokachi - really close between this and Lahm. This one juuuust edges it after a lot of consideration, particularly for the time of the match. You can see that Amokachi is pulling out the last bit of energy he has after 90 minutes to drive into that opening space, and just puts his foot through it with everything he has. Great finish at the end of a driving run.

3. Lahm - love that it flies perfectly into the very very top corner. Literally couldn't have been better positioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

1. Del Piero
    2. Amokachi
    3. Lahm

5 minutes left in this group.

Sentiment is all the elephant side have!

That and the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Del Piero
    Lamb
    Daniel

Del Piero all the way - the run and shot are just class.

Other two can take or leave.

• Advertisement

Other two can take or leave.

Luckily for me this didn't matter as the gulf was too great but that could've given me a dilemma and that would make you Elephant scum. Results coming up.

Del Piero 19
    Lahm 14

Amokachi 13

Group M kicks off at 18:00HRS

Dragan Stojkovic (Yugoslavia vs Spain, 1990)

VS

Michael Owen (England vs Argentina, 1998)

VS

David Platt (England vs Belgium, 1990)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Hm. I don't know about free kicks. I mean, it was a decent effort, but lots of free kicks get scored and they can all be samey.

That leaves it between two England goals though... The Platt volley is great technique while turning through almost 360 degrees and still keeping an eye on the ball. I think Owen's goal has more to admire though - the first touch, holding off his man while changing direction to beat the second, and commentary from the great Brian Moore.

So Owen, Platt, Stojkovic for me.

1. Owen. Easy decision for me. A great dribble and unbelievable finish. Plus it confirmed he was a legitimate forward on a massive stage.

2. Platt. Supreme technique.

3. Stojkovic: A free kick would want to be out of this world to make me put it above open play brilliance. (Beckham v Columbia is what I have in mind and hope to god it is making an appearance)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Feels like an easy enough round.

1. Owen - What an introduction to the world stage! The first touch on the run, the pace to rip through the defence, the positioning to move the keeper and open the space, and then the perfect finish into the space he'd created. Owen at his best was lightning over the ground, but gained a few yards even further with his speed of thought.

2. Platt - Some technique. He's turning the whole time to track the ball, and still nails the contact beautifully with total awareness of where the goal is. Impeccable timing both with the goal, and the time in the match.

3. Stojkovic - Great free kick, but we've seen tonnes of them down through the years. He scored a better goal in the same game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Stojkovic, great curl and power and he just walked up to it
    Platt, good pass, great footwork to get in position
    Owen, good first touch, pace and finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The early kick off today caught me out.

I'll vote Owen for the first place. The pass by Beckham is nice. Owens first touch to allow him to take into his stride is probably my favourite part of the goal. The sudden burst of pace to wrong foot the defender and then the lofted finish. Great goal.

Platt for second - really difficult skill to take it like that first time.

The Stojkovic free kick is third. Though there's not much between it and David Platt. Love the delayed nonchalant pissing about before it's struck. And there's a wicked curl on it, but Platt's finish just edges it for me.

• Advertisement

5 minutes remaining in Group M

Advertisement