Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardsies Decide : Greatest FIFA World Cup Goal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Owen 13
    Platt 10

Stojkovic 7

We have only 3 groups left to do and we will get them done tonight. Wonder are any of you waiting on any goal in particular!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Omackeral wrote: »
    We have only 3 groups left to do and we will get them done tonight. Wonder are any of you waiting on any goal in particular!?

Beckham v Columbia is one for me.

Rodríguez in 2014 is another

• Registered Users Posts: 86,701 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Owen
    Dragan
    Platt

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The other Stojkovic goal from that game!

Dat first touch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,716 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Arghus wrote: »
    The other Stojkovic goal from that game!

Dat first touch!

LOVE those sorts of goals, where it's just supreme ball control rather than pace or power. Always think of this Elmander one too in the same sort of vein.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    LOVE those sorts of goals, where it's just supreme ball control rather than pace or power. Always think of this Elmander one too in the same sort of vein.

Or literally any goal scored by Dennis Bergkamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Omackeral wrote: »

I missed the start of the whole game so don't know what I might missed.

But Maradona 2.0 and Van Persie's header are missing to my mind. If they were voted for at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Pele in 58?

I was going to nominate Maradona v Belgium; don't know if anyone else did

Group N going live in 15 minutes

• Advertisement

James Rodriguez (Colombia vs Uruguay, 2014)

VS

Diego Maradona (Argentina vs England, 1986)

VS

Carlos Tevez (Argentina vs Mexico, 2010)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Rodriguez - unreal strike, sweet as a button and in off the bar too.
    Maradona - amazing run and gets the finish off even as he is fouled
    Tevez - Unlucky draw here, but way below the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,716 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Lovely goal from Tevez, but he's been paired with two of the great goals here.

1. Maradona - Sure what's to be said that hasn't been said a million times. Unbelievable strength, speed, control, determination, and presence of mind in just about every aspect of this goal. Special.

2. James - Great technique to catch it and snap a shot off with such power so close to his body. Peach of a goal. As a bonus, I love how long the ball is continuously off the ground for, between the chip in, being headed out, back in, chested, volleyed and sailing into the goal. Who'd have thought that just 6 years later this young man would be scaling such illustrious heights as signing for Everton.

3. Tevez - Lovely goal still, another great thunderbastard effort. I like it more than a few similar goals, but he's in hard company here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

1st I will give to Maradona: he takes the ball for his own half and he is in full control the whole time
    2nd to James: that chest control to stop the ball and shot straight away, top class stuff.
    3rd to Tevez. A great finish but very unlucky to be in this group with 2 other goals that could possibly go a long way.

First is Maradona - I don't think any explanation is required.

Second is Rodriguez. The ball is coming at an awkward height to begin with, great chest control. The fluid movement of the turn and the strike. Love how he waits for it to drop and hits it low. No panic, total control. And it goes in off the crossbar.

Tevez is a fantastic strike, but it's not a patch on the the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

1. Maradona. Obviously. I prefer Bergkamp vs Argentina 98 but this is probably the favourite to win.

2. James. Great goal, not much to say! And woodwork gets style points.

3. Tevez. Good goal. Not winning vs these other two though.

10 minutes to go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

1) James Rodriguez, great strike
    2) Maradona, different class...but maybe suffers from being a bit over repeated at this stage.
    3) Tevez, very good as well but not as good as the other two.

Maradona 16
    Rodriguez 14

Tevez 6

Stay tuned for our penultimate group match!

• Advertisement

Fabio Grosso (Italy vs Germany, 2006)

VS

Marco Tardelli (Italy vs West Germany, 1982)

VS

David Beckham (England vs Colombia, 1998)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVFtOBfInqA

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Hmmm...

Beckham - fabulous freekick from miles out

Grosso - decent move and a great finish

Tardelli - Sniff of offside in the build up maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

All good but not great goals, so I'm going importance.

Tardelli - that celebration, decent buildup too. And in a final too.

Grosso - that was extra time in a semi final, lovely reverse from Pirlo into him, and slammed home.

Beckham - good goal but a free kick needs to be special to get my vote here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Tardelli - such an iconic celebration to go with a quality goal and in the final!

Grosso - again a cracking goal and he was channelling his inner Tardelli with the celebration I think!

Beckham - quality free kick but just not all that memorable for me

I'm going to have to give number one to Grosso. I did select it, so I'm hopelessly biased.

Technically there's load to admire in it. Pirlo delaying the pass and drawing all the defenders and then slipping in Grosso. Grosso has time to take a touch, but just sweeps it in first time past Lehmann's despairing dive - there's a certain inevitability to it, like fate; of course Grosso was going to strike it immaculately first time, there was never going to be any other outcome.

I usually try to analyse the goals without really paying regard to the context of the games in which they were scored. It's the most objective way to look at the relative quality of the goals overall, but, I dunno, I can't look at that Grosso goal in a bottle, divorced from the game that surrounded it.

That was one of the tensest games of football I've ever watched, of such high quality and the stakes felt so heavy - a game where you can really sense its epic quality as its unfolding. Two high quality teams slugging it out for 90 minutes with no outcome, then looking like it's going to be the full 120 minutes. And then in the 119th minute Pirlo finally, unexpectedly, unpicks the lock and Grosso strikes with such brutal and decisive impact. Game over. Done. A climax of drama. The tension exploded in a single second. You see it in Grosso's face, the commentators words. Fuck that's proper goosebumps shit. It's the drama of football at its very best: that single unexpected moment that changes everything. Vote Grosso.

Tardelli is second - he also runs off like a madman.

Beckham's is a very good free kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Arghus wrote: »
    I'm going to have to give number one to Grosso. I did select it, so I'm hopelessly biased.

Technically there's load to admire in it. Pirlo delaying the pass and drawing all the defenders and then slipping in Grosso. Grosso has time to take a touch, but just sweeps it in first time past Lehmann's despairing dive - there's a certain inevitability to it, like fate; of course Grosso was going to strike it immaculately first time, there was never going to be any other outcome.

I usually try to analyse the goals without really paying regard to the context of the games in which they were scored. It's the most objective way to look at the relative quality of the goals overall, but, I dunno, I can't look at that Grosso goal in a bottle, divorced from the game that surrounded it.

That was one of the tensest games of football I've ever watched, of such high quality and the stakes felt so heavy - a game where you can really sense its epic quality as its unfolding. Two high quality teams slugging it out for 90 minutes with no outcome, then looking like it's going to be the full 120 minutes. And then in the 119th minute Pirlo finally, unexpectedly, unpicks the lock and Grosso strikes with such brutal and decisive impact. Game over. Done. A climax of drama. The tension exploded in a single second. You see it in Grosso's face, the commentators words. Fuck that's proper goosebumps shit. It's the drama of football at it's very best: that single unexpected moment that changes everything. Vote Grosso.

Tardelli is second - he also runs off like a madman.

Beckham's is a very good free kick.

Man, that's some serious justification. I really enjoyed reading that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Grosso

Beckham

Tardellli

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

All good but not great goals, so I'm going importance.

Tardelli - that celebration, decent buildup too. And in a final too.

Grosso - that was extra time in a semi final, lovely reverse from Pirlo into him, and slammed home.

Beckham - good goal but a free kick needs to be special to get my vote here.

Couldnt agree more that theu are good goal but nothing to place them on a greatest goal of all time

Grossi
    Beckham
    Tardelli

But Im uninspired by them as a whole. They aint no bowl of special K

Grosso 9
    Tardelli 9

Beckham 6

• Advertisement

Ji-Sung Park (South Korea vs Portugal, 2002)

VS

Robin Van Persie (Netherlands vs Spain, 2014)

VS

Arie Haan (Netherlands vs Italy, 1978)

Advertisement