Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gravel tyre recommendations

Options
  • 07-09-2020 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭

I've been running the stock tyres that came on my bike, 700x40 Vee Rubber Speedster tyres (no idea)

I had intended to use them till they wore out, but three spills on a particularly mucky and horrible mile and s half stretch have me considering a change.

I've been looking at the Panaracer Gravel King SK, in either 38 or 43, but thought I'd throw it out to other boardsies and see what recommendations, suggestions etc. came back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Have the panaracer sks in 38 and am very happy. No punctures yet. Don't have a huge amount of experience with tires but I know some others have posted positively about them too.

Actually about to take them off to see again what bike is like with the 30s it came with. Kind of think they're ****e tires so I'm wasting my time and should really ride a good tire of a similar size instead but just want to see what it rolls like with a smaller tire and what the actual limitations are.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

These are popular at the moment and I find them good myself

https://www.wtb.com/products/resolute

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

You won't go wrong with gravel kings or wtb gravel tyres, I have the riddler and very happy with them although will probably swap for the byways at some point as they're more of a 50/50 tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

Hadn't seen those, but the Riddlers were also on my radar, toss up between those and the gravel king

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

I've been running Gravel Kings, albeit not the SKs but the slightly more slick ones and only 32mm at that, for about 18 months now. Having given them a good going over on some fairly rough tracks in France last year, they've been excellent. Decent grip on the road for the most part though can be a little bit sketchy cornering in the wet. Not sure how many km I have on them, but probably somewhere between 2-3000, and there's still a lot of life left in them. Assuming the SKs are of similar quality, which I believe them to be, they're highly recommended

• Advertisement

Do you have a link or name for those tyres and how do you find them on the road, I'm in the market for something thinner and faster?

a148pro wrote: »
    Do you have a link or name for those tyres and how do you find them on the road, I'm in the market for something thinner and faster?

Probably these?

https://road.cc/content/review/panaracer-gravelking-32-tyre-254221?amp

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

I’m running both the gravel king SK ones in 38mm and the slick one (Light thread) in 35mm on two different wheel sets . No punctures yet . The slick ones are faster on the road but off road the grip is poor in any mud they would be fine for light trails though
    If it’s mainly road use the slick ones but if you intend doing some gravel I’d go with SK . They actually roll alright on road .

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Shawlbe G one clinchers. No punctures in 2 years through 2 seasons of cx @25psi and thousands of km on gravel @40psi. Very reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

• Advertisement
Advertisement