Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EasyGo public chargers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭cannco253

They really need to fix the app to notify users of when their balance is low, a right pita when it happens.

I’ve been on to them a few times about it but little to no feedback. App hasn’t been updated in 5 months (4.04)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zg3409

"Featured" article (paid) discussing chargers at hotels provided by easygo and benefits to hotels. Again easygo is looking for installs at hotels and mentioning 50kW chargers at hotels. I really enjoyed a 50kW charge at a hotel in past along with good toilets and good food from hotel.

https://www.hotelandrestauranttimes.ie/2022/07/19/electric-vehicle-charging-the-key-to-attracting-more-guests/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'd argue that if you are no longer charging for free you are now a customer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭cannco253

“MAYO County Council is close to agreeing a deal with Irish company EasyGo for the installation of Electric Vehicle (EV) chargers around the county.

Currently there are just four fast chargers in place but this will increase to 19 with 15 new 50KW EV charge points.

The company will also install another six AC chargers in other locations where the ESB power isn't strong enough to support the fast chargers (DC).”

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Great to see EasyGo installing a DC only charger with an AC socket located nearby, finally an operator installing a destination charger that I actually agree with.

• Advertisement

Agreed and 75kW peak and the ability to charge 2 cars at once but one needs to be chademo, other CCS and they need to physically be able to both park in reach of the charger. I hope the site is open 24/7 and I hope it gets enough business to prove that there is demand. I would have preferred a second 50kW+ unit or at least groundworks for such. It also looks like ground is painted funny expecting only one car on 75kW charger and parked in centre. Why they can't mount them like petrol pumps I will never understand.

Easygo need to up their game now and start rolling out hubs at key locations, even if it's just one 50+kW charger but with ducting for many more. It would signal that they are serious and intend playing in the big boys game. They also have one in NI at a Lidl so they could have the reach.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Not a fan of load balancing on these style chargers, I don't like the idea that my charging time is affected by whether or not somebody plugs in next to me.

Until we see wide deployment of the kempower style distributed systems I'd prefer to see 2 75kW chargers instead of 1 load balancing 150kW. I think charging predictably is more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hotels only need AC as guests will be parked up over night.

DC chargers are more expensive and will be blocked by a user over night and possibly much of the day before. A drink or three with dinner and they can’t move it

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dsandson

Yet Tesla apparently do a good job of using hotels for some of their Supercharger stations. They have facilities on offer (toilets, food and drink) are generally well lit with plenty of users around so are excellent for personal security.

Yes overnight guests are best suited to slow AC units but hotels can have a part to play with charger hubs for those en-route, and gain additional customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭innrain

A combination AC/DC works. I prefer a lunch in a hotel to some grub in a service station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Not being funny, but I wonder should they be advertised as 2x 75kW and with max capacity of 150kW when sole-occupied. That way the received rate is clearly understood and you can plan for the longer duration, rather than the inverse.

I think I saw it in Bjorn video once, he was using a similar delta charger as to the new 150kW/200kW eCars have deployed. By the default the user was given half the charging capacity but could press an extra button to charge at double the rate. If eCars used a similar system then at least the person starting the charge would know they weren't going to slow down based on the actions of someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

For sure, that's better than arriving at a "150kW site" and only getting half that. Clear information is the key here.

I hit the load balancing issue with a 150kW eCars charger recently.... didn't get beyond 88kW as another car was on site pulling 50kW!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We should take what the give us folks, beggars can't be choosers

The easygo 75kW units are 75kW max, and with 2 cars you presumably get half depending on the way load sharing is handled.

Load sharing is a reality, even Tesla does this and with very high power most cars only peak top power for a few minutes anyway.

It is confusing and many users expect to get the power stated even when their car may not be able to accept that power level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,691 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

And with eCars you pay a higher premium for those higher power u it’s, despite getting half the advertised speed if you happen to be sharing the charger with a Leaf…

Official launch of easygo chargers in Finglas. Note mention of car club, hopefully they will stay on AC or have dedicated reserved charger and spaces. It looks like one side of AC may be reserved car club spot.

One DC charger now a "hub"...

At least load sharing with a leaf on a 150kW unit you're still getting 100kW

No your not, the charger is split into 2x 75kW modules.... So even if the opposite side is only pulling 25kW (approaching high SoC%), the other side is always limited to 75kW

You have to give credit to EasyGo. They are quietly going about their business installing more and more AC & DC chargers... so kudos to them.

I'd even go as far as to say they are installing units at a faster rate than eCars... (even only counting DC chargers as eCars dont do dedicated AC anymore)

• Advertisement

Indeed. eCars for the win........

Basically it's a 150kW charger when only the CCS side is being used, but once a car plugs into the other side, it immediately becomes a 75kW charger.. and regardless of whether you are getting 150kW or 75kW, you are paying the premium price above the standard pricing for 50kW units.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

The EasyGo plans in Mayo looks great, hopefully they'll do the same in a few other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭innrain

Offaly is an offaly long way away for a lot of folk, so fast chargers here is a big win....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

The EasyGo network is today used by more than 30,000 Irish EV drivers

I assume they're conflating eCars charge points to arrive at that "30,000" drivers using their network?

Tritium’s world-first, next-generation simultaneous DC Rapid Charger

Big into the marketing........Ireland's biggest........world-first........next-gen......

Are they just 75kW DC units with the capacity to charge two cars simultaneously? If one is CHAdeMO & they represent 10% of EVs (& dwindling), it's in effect, just a single 75kW DC.

If they are on main streets, where phone kiosks ubiquitously were, parking will likely be restricted to one car anyway or if two spaces are marked, just one will likely be suitable given charge port locations.

It's progress & they are a private company so fair dues, but we really need multiple unit hubs with 150kW DC chargers (min 75/75 split). I can also see charges for these becoming very expensive, into the future.

The new EV chargers to be installed in Offaly will be in the following locations:

● Tullamore

● Edenderry

● Birr

● Kilmalogue, Portarlington

● Clara

● Banagher

● Ferbane

● Daingean

● Kilcormac

● Shinrone

● Rhode

That's a good group of places but I presume they will be mostly single chargers and hard to rely on in case they are in use, blocked or broken, but great to see more sites that could grow based on demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

EasyGo, Ireland’s largest car charging network provider, has announced that it will invest more than €600,000 in the installation of thirteen new fast electric vehicle (EV) charging stations in county Tipperary.

This installation is performed in partnership with eir, Ireland’s leading telecommunications provider, and Tipperary County Council.

ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Advertise with Tipperary Live

eir and EasyGo have joined forces to develop new charging points across the country, to accommodate the growing number of EVs on our roads.

This unique partnership creates an opportunity to transform a service that once provided vital public access to telephones into supports for the future of low-carbon transportation.

According to the Society of the Irish Motor Industry, about one out of every seven cars sold in Ireland so far this year are fully electric, with the rate of adoption growing quickly.

Adding these chargers, in easily accessible town centre locations, will increase the appeal of EVs for drivers, greatly extending the accessibility of charging points and thus the range of the vehicles.

Transport accounts for one third of Ireland’s energy-related CO2 emissions so increased adoption of EVs is a key aspect of Ireland's Climate Action Plan.

The EasyGo network is today used by more than 30,000 Irish EV drivers who can avail of charging at more than 2,400 charge-points nationally.

Marcus O’Connor, Director of Services for Roads, Transportation and Infrastructure, said that “Tipperary County Council is delighted to collaborate with EasyGo and eir in the provision of EV charging stations and to continue leading on the reduction of CO2 emissions”.

Oliver Loomes, CEO eir, said that “Radical transformation is required to meet the challenge of climate change. At eir, we are committed to playing our part in the creation of a greener, more sustainable Ireland. In order for Ireland to move to electric vehicles, we must have the required infrastructure in place, not just in cities, but across all of the country. We are proud to partner with EasyGo and Tipperary County Council to assist in the installation of EV charging points across Tipperary. We are in discussion with other Local Authorities across the country about similar programmes and, wherever possible, we will replace unused eir payphone kiosks with rapid EV charging units and we will continue to assist in making the transition to EV ownership more viable.”

EasyGo founder and technical director Chris Kelly expressed his delight at this agreement: “EasyGo is on a mission to decarbonise transport, and our partnership with eir can go a long way to achieving that.

“To include 13 locations in Tipperary will be a great improvement of infrastructure in the county, and we are grateful for the active engagement from the leadership and wider team at Tipperary County Council.”

The locations where new EV chargers are to be installed in Tipperary have been chosen based on population centres, a county-wide distribution and are expected to be: Ballina; Borrisokane; Cahir; Carrick-on-Suir; Cashel; Clonmel; Fethard; Nenagh; Newport; Roscrea; Templemore; Thurles and Tipperary Town.

These installations mark the continuation of the rollout of this programme national.

Throughout this programme, EasyGo and eir will utilise Tritium’s world first, next-generation simultaneous DC Rapid Chargers, adding up to 100km range to an Electric Vehicle in just 15 minutes.

———-

a nice batch of DC chargers through out Tipp would be good.

Easygo have now installed their third DC charger on the Limerick-Cork corridor at Lidl in Mallow to complement Dano's centra in Mallow and Lidl in Charleville, this time last year we had no DC charging on this corridor which connects our 2nd and 3rd largest cities as ESB were too busy building awkwardly laid out hubs* in random places

*hub is what ESB call a station that can DC charge 3 cars simultaneously

• Advertisement

Up to 100km in 15 minutes, at an average of 17kWh/100km that would suggest 17kWh in 15 minutes or 68kW(h in 1 hr)... Presumably they are the 75kW units then?

Advertisement