Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EasyGo public chargers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

Mill lane is live but there are lots of other planned sites in castlebar Easygo do tend to main spaces eventually. They may do all at once when all the planned sites are ready.

It may still be there (never trust hotel staff)

It's very near the main door and showing online on easygo app. There are other chargers elsewhere. That said it could be gone but showing online as it's powered up somewhere else.

I did put a comment on plugshare app a while ago it's likely to be already gone or will be removed shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I believe the new chargers are in the car park on the left on the way up to the hotel. We were there several months ago and they had just started the works for them.

Yes it's a non easygo site now but old easygo unit may still be near main door.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Yeah she used the ePower ones, €0.59 a kWh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I see zero usage on it in the last 30 days. Guess it's gone

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Update: driving past today I see the spaces have just been painted bright green. Hopefully it will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

SPOF are just painful!

Arrived in bandon at just over 20%, the charger had shown up as available on chargepoint app.

So annoying. Had to go to Easygo Clonakilty when i actually wanted to go to Timoleague.

The easygo charger at SV is so slow. It never went over 31kw.shoot me now. I have ioniq 28kw which can hit up to 69kw speed. Painful. It took 25 mins to get up to 52%. Just awful. 124 kw charged.

Had to leave to meet someone. So had to come back as i needed to do another 160km after that & only charger on my route was bandon.

Went back to change & the bloody charger stopped at 80% & i didn't notice that for 10 mins. Only noticed when I went to check the app when I expected it to be charged. Back to the car&tried to restart. Noticed i had only 2 euro credit so i topped it up & had to restart..

SPOF & **** speeds are so painful. Also expensive, will be avoiding if possible at all. 70c kw & 24c connection fee each time.

22.9 kw cost me 16.84. Each kw cost me 0.735371179039301

49.46mins charging time which is ridiclous& its outrageously expensive for those terrible speeds.

Not to mention the faffing with disconnecting & reconnecting & topping up as easygo don't have autotop up. Well over an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Easygo are indeed rubbish. Need more competition and reliability

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

They're not brilliant, but they've always been the underdogs and don't have the levels of investment that ESB or Ionity or Tesla have so they can't really build up the bigger sites

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Mayo is littered with them now. Fair play for that at least.

I believe slow easy go charges is just due to the supply on site. They don't get their own supply, so they're already load sharing with the other equipment on site - SuperValu and all is power requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,546 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yeah they seem to pick a county, and go all in and install as many as they can…. (Mayo a good example, and didn’t they install a few in Carlow & Kilkenny too?)

I guess they don’t have the means to work with multiple councils at the same time so installing on a per county basis is probably fine….

They’ll never get lightning speeds as mentioned above re power sharing with host sites, but if they get enough of these units installed, it might just take enough pressure off any HOC’s in the vicinity.

I noticed though the charger in Lidl Clonshaugh is still not working despite being installed in December…. So I can only presume this is an ESBN issue? But then again that Lidl is brand new so surely the right spec grid connection was done at time of construction!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,125 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I guess they are focussing on the counties that Ionity/eCars are ignoring. The "west" is a bit of a wasteland in terms of charging infrastructure so that makes sense for them, I presume. It also means they will have less competition and can get better utilisation rates for their investment.

Also, I think they said on one of their podcasts a year or two ago that they limit their grid connections as the costs go up massively once you go over a particular threshold (cant remember the figures now) so they will generally only have the slower end of the DC charging speeds.... money talks here.

If you want high speed charging infrastructure you are talking 10s of millions, so very deep pockets required, which is easy for Ionity since they are industry funded. EasyGo can realistically only serve the 50kW market unless someone writes them a big cheque!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭veryangryman

50kw market is fine for most given the cost of EVs that can handle the more powerful chargers capabilities.

I think they just need to goto a bank. The returns are almost guaranteed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Precisely this...

Clonakilty has always had 31 kW type speeds from day 1.....

I don't know why it was never fixed.

I assume its down to whatever agreement is in place with the site owners.

The Clonakilty unit was supposed to originally be part of a wider deal that was supposed to be in place with Musgraves (who own Supervalu and Centra).

However I know that in Dublin ESB eCars are getting into Supervalu and Centra type places....

Is this down to who owns the car park - ie the carpark might not be owned by the people who run the Supervalu or Centra.

Or did either Easygo or Musgraves (or both) call off their deal.

This is further complicated by the fact that Supervalu and Centra are franchise type operations.

So the Supervalu in Clonakilty is Scallys Supermarket and is or was owned by the Scally family.....

Kinnegad was down over the weekend but is now fixed according to Easygo.

Was circuit breaker issues apparently

Am I and Plugshare correct in thinking that Bandon is actually ESB eCars.....

Not that this excuses Easygo failings in anyway of course.

Bandon is ecars and was down but for some reason chargepoint shows it as available.

the 31kw in clonakilty was abysmal as was them automatically stopping the charge at 80 percent

I'm pretty sure scallys own that carpark, orignally Scallys said they were going to put in 10 chargers but didn't specify what chargers.

I could have left with someone else but that would have meant leaving the car blocking the charger, I had a quick look at the Clonakilty Hotel at the destination tesla chargers but they were iced and I couldn't see any lights on them either, I thing the hotel has been taken over for refugees or ukranians.

If the site owner doesn't upgrade their supply, then you're at the mercy of the load being pulled at the time.

SuperValu and centra (Musgrave's) deal is an odd one for exactly why you say. They're franchises, so it's not up to Musgrave's. Dunno what the deal actually entailed it meant for the shops.

I know centra in glasson, Westmeath has had their supply upgraded specifically because they installed the 75kW unit. Pity for them if other easyGo units are painting them all with the same slow charging brush. Might hurt usage.

Apart from Clonakilty it's been a long time since I heard of the loadsharing issue on Easygo....

Danos Centra in Mallow had power issues at the very start but that site actually got sorted power wise

• Advertisement

Most easygo 50kW units automatically stop at 80%. You need to press the 100% button when you start charging. This is intended to encourage moving on and not staying until 100% on DC chargers. They also have overstay after 60 min (I think). Overstay used to be per minute but was moved to a fixed amount for some reason.

Easygo has complained about cost of grid upgrades and stated 75kW would be their max power until it made financial sense.

I think they are attempting to partner with hotels, chains of hotels, chains of supermarkets and chains of councils, eir phone boxes, as it's easier than dealing with individual site owners and councils may want nothing except a photo for the papers.

Hotels etc may want kick backs and they may be spread all over the country away from main roads.

You can see ePower put in a DC charger at an airport hotel in Dublin as demand in the area is crazy with taxis 24/7/365.

I do wonder them installing somewhat obsolete 50kW units and single units per site. As a user I want 2+ units per site with at least 50kW not 30kW and I would think a full 75kW would be my minimum. If I were them I would only install hubs at prime national routes. I would do a deal with supermacs kinnegad and make that site the go to location on that route. They may already be too late with other hub type sites already under construction nearby. They really need to pick a few sites that already have massive supplies or that can be upgraded relatively cheaply, and concentrate on these.

In terms of chargers sitting there not powered up for months lidl Wicklow town 50kW unit took 6 months to be powered up from when the charger was on site. This was part of a "new" store so any supply upgrades may have been ordered a year in advance. ESB networks staff have been in trouble for allegedly taking ages and taking bribes to skip the wait.

I think they're basically being forced out of the motorway routes since the service stations are launching their own networks

I agree they're aiming for hotels and supermarkets, but they'll really need to up their game to survive. I'd also be wary of using an SPOF site and would detour or pay extra to have the security of something like Ionity or Tesla

I have never seen that button! Where is it? All I saw was start and stop button, admittedly I have only used 2 easygo dc chargers so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭innrain

If it is the Tritium 50kW, button number 3 with the mention that is max or 80%, default is 80%

Birr ofally looks to be 75kW and sharing capable, not yet powered on

Looks like one of the phone box conversions (judging by the Eir logo on the side)

Probably Ireland's best charging network? 🤔

They're not the worst, I'll give them that, but I don't think they're the best either

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I really wish EasyGo would get round to integrating their service with MSP and data providers. They're still missing from the manufacturer charging providers and aren't integrated with Zap-map.

73c vs 56c for same charger but using easygo app. That's a 17c mark up

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭mr chips

I have guests from England staying for a couple of days before they head off to explore Donegal. They're driving a Leaf 62kWh and have an EasyGo tag, which they're planning to use as their main method of charging while there. They're not rushing anywhere, so have decent range from full (they reckon around 200 miles), but obviously will need to charge once or twice during the trip.

From a quick scan through some of this thread, it seems that EasyGo charging rates/availability etc don't seem to be that consistent, so I'd be grateful to hear from anybody with general tips/advice on using these which would help their trip to go more smoothly. 🙂

• Advertisement

The EasyGo app should work for all Ecars chargers as well, although the price isn't ideal

They could get the Ecars app, apparently there's an option to start a charger without an account but it seems to be well hidden

Another option my be to sign up for a free account for Elli Drive Free

Again the prices aren't the best but it does work for Ecars (most of the time) and some other networks, and doesn't require any money to sign up

In general, Donegal isn't great for charging, the screenshot below shows the currently available Chademo chargers, almost all are Ecars single 50kW units

Personally if they're doing a day trip around the county then it's probably best to find a 50kW near wher they're going to have lunch and charge for the full 45 mins to soak up and many electrons as possible

The Leaf62 will just plod along at 50kW or below most of the time so there's no point in looking for more powerful chargers

Advertisement