Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EasyGo public chargers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,824 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

zg3409 wrote: »
    It says CCS in use on the app right now, they might not be aware of issues or they might keep resetting it.

In the comments I briefly read last night while there people said they had informed EasyGo several times of this issue. No fix.

Can't say I'm suprised. I've rang them a few times and left numerous messages through the online app that my dongle is faulty. No response, no fix. Extremely poor customer service (in so far as you can call me a customer - I've never paid them a cent - but that's beside the point)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭loopymum

I reported a site that didn't have the two 22kws working a few times on the app or contact. No response and chargers still not working. Rang about a week later and they reset them while I was on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭innrain

innrain wrote: »
    .... when noticed they overcharged me for today 's session. I hope it is just a fluke.

I got a reply acknowledging their mistake and that they will refund me. Today I charged for free it seems; so all is good. It will be nice if DCU will paint/mark that spot as it says loading bay and vans are stopping there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,760 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

EasyGo partnering with EIR to transform 180 old Telephone boxes into DC chargers...

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1207/1182799-180-telephone-boxes-to-be-turned-into-car-charge-points/
    Car charging network provider, EasyGo has formed a partnership with telecoms company, Eir to replace 180 telephone kiosks around the country with electric vehicle rapid charge points.

EasyGo claim that the DC Rapid Chargers, developed by Australia based plug and charge company, Tritium, will add 100 kilometres of range to an electric vehicle in less than 20 minutes.

"100 kilometres of charge would cost less than €5. The important thing for electric vehicle driving is that people can charge at home at the night rate, but they have the comfort of knowing that they can charge when they're out and about and return and not have that 'range anxiety'", Gerry Cash, Director of EasyGo explained.

'Range anxiety' refers to the 21st century phenomenon of a driver fearing that they will run out of power before getting to a charge point, exacerbated by the relative absence of charging infrastructure, particularly in rural areas.

"If you live rurally, you're not going to jump on a Luas or get on a bus at the bottom of the road. That's why it's important that, if we're going to transition for petrol or diesel to electric, you're going to have to be able to charge cars in rural locations," Mr Cash said.

Great move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Great idea indeed. Hopefully they leave the phone boxes in place for a bit of shelter!

And use the existing phone lines to install sensors/cameras to deter ICEing..

Sensor detects a car parked, waits 5 minutes and if no charging session starts, the cameras snap the scene (with reg visible), and it's sent off for human review... The human sees a daysul Passatt parked there, a fine is issued for blocking EV bay, the human sees Mary, 76, Model X plugged in, but faffing about with an card/card, does not issue fine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭zg3409

And use the existing phone lines to install sensors/cameras to deter ICEing..

Sensor detects a car parked, waits 5 minutes and if no charging session starts, the cameras snap the scene (with reg visible), and it's sent off for human review... The human sees a daysul Passatt parked there, a fine is issued for blocking EV bay, the human sees Mary, 76, Model X plugged in, but faffing about with an card/card, does not issue fine...

I suspect they will remove cabinet, old ESB power cable and phone line and install new 50kW+ capable ESB supply. I expect the deal is to reduce planning problems. They say they are going to work with local authorities, presumably to reserve and mark nearby parking spaces. They mention rural areas, but I suspect the only financially viable sites will be in large towns or next to national routes. For the site works involved I don't know why they bothered with Eir unless Eir are subsidising the rollout and promoting the network. I would gave thought it was more work to remove a phone box, than install a charging point on a clear bit of footpath in a prime location. With a fiver per customerper 30 minute session I can't see anyone getting rich quick when the charger alone is 20,000 euro+ with a lifespan of say Max 15 years.

EasyGo also look to be on a mission to install 50kW DC chargers in SuperValu's

https://twitter.com/Easygo_ie/status/1337395196905082881?s=20

They say they have more planned...

Are you watching ESB/Tesco??

Eo9h1YUXEAMMTK1?format=jpg&name=large

Now that I'd use, especially if I had no home charging.
    You'd get enough charge in the 45-60 mins of shopping to do a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Pricing :

EasyGo DC Tariff 35 for PrePay Users | €0.24 | €0.35 per kW + VAT

€5 overstay fee after 1 hour

• Moderators Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

The boarder of West corks no EVs land has moved slightly more West. Excellent! Bravo easygo

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kevin Forde

Brilliant. Have to register the i3 in Skibbereen NCT centre tomorrow, so can now top up in Clon on the way home.

Brilliant. Have to register the i3 in Skibbereen NCT centre tomorrow, so can now top up in Clon on the way home.

Report back and let us know how you got on using it.

And if you are on Plugshare, maybe check in, and also add a few photo's....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've tried to use chargers like that one in the photo a lot as there is a good few around me, they are terribly unreliable and broken on a consistent basis

jhegarty wrote: »
    Pricing :

EasyGo DC Tariff 35 for PrePay Users | €0.24 | €0.35 per kW + VAT

€5 overstay fee after 1 hour

0.35c per kW * 50kW = €17.5 per session?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

ELM327 wrote: »
    0.35c per kW * 50kW = €17.5 per session?

I think the €0.24 is a connect fee.

So € 17.85 but it will take over the hour to get 50 Kw , so factor the overstay if you need the full amount.

jhegarty wrote: »
    I think the €0.24 is a connect fee.

So € 17.85 but it will take over the hour to get 50 Kw , so factor the overstay if you need the full amount.

Sorry. I was being facetious.
    .35 per kW vs .35 vs kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kevin Forde

Report back and let us know how you got on using it.

And if you are on Plugshare, maybe check in, and also add a few photo's....

EasyGo 50kW Clonakilty today - both spaces ICEd on arrival (they are not painted) but one had an occupant who moved the car for me. I had 52% on arrival and CCS only delivered 30-35kW (33kWh i3). Otherwise grand. Photo added to Plugshare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Kramer

Why are Easygo showing ex. VAT prices? They sell to consumers, are not
    an exclusively "commercial" or "trade only" provider.
    They are the only provider doing this too - I wonder why?
    The CPCC say the law is, prices displayed to consumers must include VAT :confused:.

Their website also proclaims them to be:

"Ireland's Largest EV Charging Network".

On what criteria are they basing this? ECars probably have more AC & DC points, as far as I am aware. Tesla likely have more DC points too, as do Ionity. Even Tesla likely have more destination chargers, albeit often only 7kW.

Easygo chargers also say "probably", in ghosted font, to qualify the claim below, of being Ireland's "Best" Car Charging Network.

So they are probably the best, but definitely the largest network.

How does that work?

:confused:.

Kramer wrote: »
    Why are Easygo showing ex. VAT prices? They sell to consumers, are not
    an exclusively "commercial" or "trade only" provider.
    They are the only provider doing this too - I wonder why?
    The CPCC say the law is, prices displayed to consumers must include VAT :confused:.

Their website also proclaims them to be:

"Ireland's Largest EV Charging Network".

On what criteria are they basing this? ECars probably have more AC & DC points, as far as I am aware. Tesla likely have more DC points too, as do Ionity. Even Tesla likely have more destination chargers, albeit often only 7kW.

Easygo chargers also say "probably", in ghosted font, to qualify the claim below, of being Ireland's "Best" Car Charging Network.

So they are probably the best, but definitely the largest network.

How does that work?

Marketing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭zg3409

Kramer wrote: »
    How does that work?

Its network is used by more than 7,000 Irish EV drivers that can find, use, and pay for charging at more than 1,200 charge-points around the country.

Their network includes ESB...due to roaming agreement, and ionity.
    ESB also includes a good few Nissan dealer Chademo.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1207/1182799-180-telephone-boxes-to-be-turned-into-car-charge-points/
    The new DC charging units will join EasyGo’s existing national network of 1,200 charging units, which are used by more than 7,000 Irish EV drivers

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/machines/eir-easygo-convert-phone-boxes-ev-charging-points

Easy go have a good few company only chargers listed on their app too.

They have a good few lidl in ROI and NI.

They have public AC in the likes of Ennis.

I asked them to add a filter option for easygo, as their app is covered in dots, most of which are ESB.
    The latest app version has a filter for roaming chargers and you can see the easygo only sites.

As for the vat thing, their prices are confusing as they list exVat and including VAT prices and changed the overstay fee from ler minute to a fixed fee which nay or nay not include vat. They also have an activation fee after first 3 minutes and kWh is confusing to many anyway so most won't really know how much its going to cost until after the event.

Some chargers they listed as free, but they were no longer free such as roaming partners ESB and ionity.

They have touch to pay by credit card now, and the price varies depending on account type, no account and activation fee is much higher. I don't know what happens when you touch your credit card to pay but I'm sure its not free.

Their network includes ESB...due to roaming agreement, and ionity.
    ESB also includes a good few Nissan dealer Chademo.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/machines/eir-easygo-convert-phone-boxes-ev-charging-points

Easy go have a good few company only chargers listed on their app too.

They have a good few lidl in ROI and NI.

They have public AC in the likes of Ennis.

I asked them to add a filter option for easygo, as their app is covered in dots, most of which are ESB.
    The latest app version has a filter for roaming chargers and you can see the easygo only sites.

As for the vat thing, their prices are confusing as they list exVat and including VAT prices and changed the overstay fee from ler minute to a fixed fee which nay or nay not include vat. They also have an activation fee after first 3 minutes and kWh is confusing to many anyway so most won't really know how much its going to cost until after the event.

Some chargers they listed as free, but they were no longer free such as roaming partners ESB and ionity.

They have touch to pay by credit card now, and the price varies depending on account type, no account and activation fee is much higher. I don't know what happens when you touch your credit card to pay but I'm sure its not free.

They were free for a long time too :D
    I'd say I "spent" (ie free) over €100 worth of charging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Laviski

They were free for a long time too :D
    I'd say I "spent" (ie free) over €100 worth of charging.

Same here,
    Easily.......
    Despite the previous argument someone saying we would be back charged.

Laviski wrote: »
    Same here,
    Easily.......
    Despite the previous argument someone saying we would be back charged.

That would have been me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭innrain

I saw a comment from one of the directors on FB saying that the access fee for the credit card payment is 1.5 quid but also "Contactless payment will be operational from February." my feeling is that is ex VAT as well

€1.50?! wow

€1.50?! wow

Yes, I have already signed up months ago. I just naively assumed you could pay by contactless without penalty.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Easy go have announced that they are fitting 75kw tritium chargers in 2021.

They can load share. Haven't said if it's going to be ccs and chademo or dual ccs.

https://www.facebook.com/177696959661158/posts/866308144133366/

Edit, they have said that it can be dual ccs or one of both..

Presumably if its single charger per site it will be one of each, and if theres two, the second would be dual CCS?

• Advertisement

Presumably if its single charger per site it will be one of each, and if theres two, the second would be dual CCS?

Or just screw the leaf owners...

But I agree, it's only fair to have one of each.

Easygo are a private enterprise, so I suggest they probably want everyone to charge and pay them. I think therefore the 1+1 and 2+0 CCS/Chad split makes sense.

Doesnt affect me as I can charge on either CCS or Chad (but would prefer CCS as chad is limited to ~45kW)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Yeah that's the feedback I left on their FB post.
    If installing 1 charger, then 1xCCS, 1xCHAdeMO and if installing 2, the 2nd should be dual CCS. I also said they shouldn't do load splitting like eCars, it should be first come first served, not 2nd to arrive slows down the first. If I'm plugged in and expecting my car to charge for 30 mins, it shouldn't turn to 1 hour because someone else turned up.

Easygo are a private enterprise, so I suggest they probably want everyone to charge and pay them. I think therefore the 1+1 and 2+0 CCS/Chad split makes sense.

Doesnt affect me as I can charge on either CCS or Chad (but would prefer CCS as chad is limited to ~45kW)

Is your S not limited to same level on CCS when using a 50kW charger, pretty the S is (cell voltage)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

slave1 wrote: »
    Is your S not limited to same level on CCS when using a 50kW charger, pretty the S is (cell voltage)

I wouldn't say that the car is limited in that case as it's maxing out the charger capability, the EasyGo post is talking about 75kW chargers.

Ah 75, on phone so didn’t scroll back, bit strange 75, 50 to 100 seems more logical.
    Anyhow, progress on any front is to be welcomed

Chademo is limited to 120a by the adapter, CCS is limited to around 250a by the car (currently nerfed, will be gone with the next software update, new limit expected to be >350a - or 150kW).

120a gives a max of around 45kW, CCS gives a max of around 100kW.

On a 50kW post, CCS is 1-2kW faster at the peak. On a 75+ kW, then of course CCS is faster.

Grand, doing my two week charge of my S right now and would love to see those rates, 7degrees outside temp and short run to charger means I peak at 33kW/89A/375v

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭JohnC.

When Chad is all but gone, can the units EasyGO use easily have that side replaced with a second CCS?

• Advertisement

JohnC. wrote: »
    When Chad is all but gone, can the units EasyGO use easily have that side replaced with a second CCS?

That's what they are reporting for the new units in the FB post.

liamog wrote: »
    That's what they are reporting for the new units in the FB post.

The units will prob be end of life by the time chademo is gone. Well be at least 15 - 20 years - new leafs are still selling.

JohnC. wrote: »

Yes

graememk wrote: »
    The units will prob be end of life by the time chademo is gone. Well be at least 15 - 20 years - new leafs are still selling.

New leafs are still selling, but of the current EVs on the road, there are more CCS cars than Chademo already, and all new EVs (except leaf) are CCS and outselling Chademo exponetially

liamog wrote: »
    Yeah that's the feedback I left on their FB post.
    If installing 1 charger, then 1xCCS, 1xCHAdeMO and if installing 2, the 2nd should be dual CCS. I also said they shouldn't do load splitting like eCars, it should be first come first served, not 2nd to arrive slows down the first. If I'm plugged in and expecting my car to charge for 30 mins, it shouldn't turn to 1 hour because someone else turned up.

If no load splitting, what's the point in having dual CCS? I get your point about not having your charging speed curtailed, but if the unit can deliver 75kW, and you're using 70kW, it's a bit **** on the second car to only get 5kW on a DC fast charger. The unit may as well not be available. I like the idea of utilising as much power as the unit can pump out, but it needs to be usable/useful for all who use it.

If easy go end up saying "we can charge 2 cars at once" we'll be slating them because it's load sharing and a phoney dual car charger. If easy go only allow 1 car to use it at a time, we'll be complaining that they could be servicing 2 cars. No win situation for them.

If 2 cars plug into the 75kW unit, car B should at least get 15-20kW out of it, otherwise what's the point!! You could be waiting 20+ minutes for car A to ramp down below 75kW before car B can start getting anything out of it!! In that case just make them single plug units..

Car A ramps down to 55kW when car B plugs in, and then as it tapers below 55kW, the excess goes to car B if it can still take it.

How about the "tesla V2 SuC" option.
    75kW but with minimum sharing. IE if a second car pulls in they get a minimum amount (say 25kW) and it increases as the other car tails off.

This is what Tesla do at V2 shared stalls. 150kW split, and the second car gets a min 30kW which rises as the other tails off.
    Good news if you're charging beside a kona, as they taper at 55%, bad news if youre beside an etron, which doesnt taper below 50kW at all.

EDIT: What andy said above.

• Advertisement

Just put in another charger FFS and be done with this load sharing crap, I don't want to hook up, go for grub and find I've been throttled by a Leaf (no snob, we have a Leaf)

Just put in another charger FFS and be done with this load sharing crap, I don't want to hook up, go for grub and find I've been throttled by a Leaf (no snob, we have a Leaf)

In an ideal world they'd have multiple chargers, but that doubles the expense and doesn't double the revenue. Maybe if a unit shows high usage they could add more, but I suspect where easy go will put these they'll be once off units.

In an ideal world they'd have multiple chargers, but that doubles the expense and doesn't double the revenue. Maybe if a unit shows high usage they could add more, but I suspect where easy go will put these they'll be once off units.

1 unit is better than 0 units.

The math checks out.

We’ve suffered years of 1 unit, broken/ice’d, inaccessible or occupied all of which lead to single point of failure when you need a charge.
    We’re doomed if we continue with single charger strategy and not move on from eCars failings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement