Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EasyGo public chargers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

eagerv wrote: »
    Great to see, but I often leave my car there for 2 to 14 days. Wonder how that would work?

Does the Clayton allow parking if your flying and not staying there? That's a bit mad because they could be occupied for days which would be unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Does the Clayton allow parking if your flying and not staying there? That's a bit mad because they could be occupied for days which would be unusual.

Haven't left the car there for last year or so for obvious reasons, but prior to that often did when flying away. Often cheaper than the long term airport car parks and car under cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Haven't left the car there for last year or so for obvious reasons, but prior to that often did when flying away. Often cheaper than the long term airport car parks and car under cover.

Good to know for future reference. Have to hope people won't batter them, or whatever the ev equivalent of ICE-ing is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭cannco253

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/daa-tenders-for-eight-year-425m-upgrade-of-dublin-airport-1.4502650

“Along with this, DAA wants to upgrade Dublin Airport’s environmental systems, install new electrical charging points for vehicles and equipment operated by ground handling companies, add public electric vehicle charging points and upgrade airfield lighting systems to energy efficient LED fittings.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

4x 22kW AC units gone into the Clayton Hotel near Dublin airport.
    Great to see, but I often leave my car there for 2 to 14 days. Wonder how that would work?

They should work like most other chargers & I'd say there's a good chance you'd have a full battery when you got back, after 14 days :P.

Jokes aside, yeah, they'd need valet parking of some sort to move cars once charged or to move cars to the chargers at a predetermined time, in advance of the traveller arriving back.
    Probably cost prohibitive & another insurance headache, so they'll just go with "there are chargers on the wall so we're green".

I'm sure they'll figure out a way of upping the utilisation & monetising them in future, but 22kW at hotels isn't an ideal choice IMO. Banks of cheap as chips 7kW units, free for overnighting guests - great. 50kW DC for people stopping in for meals, meetings, afternoon tea, using the gym or pool - great. 22kW falls between two stools.

Not knocking them, the more the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭markpb

Kramer wrote: »
    but 22kW at hotels isn't an ideal choice IMO. Banks of cheap as chips 7kW units, free for overnighting guests - great. 50kW DC for people stopping in for meals, meetings, afternoon tea, using the gym or pool - great. 22kW falls between two stools.

Every car should have a 16.5 or 22kW AC charger. Then we could put 22kW chargers in all the places you mentioned and 150kW chargers on inter-urban routes. 50kW chargers are rubbish. They’re too fast to allow you to go for a proper meal (at least with the eCars 45 minute overstay charge) and too slow to allow you to sit and wait when you’re mid journey.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

markpb wrote: »
    Every car should have a 16.5 or 22kW AC charger. Then we could put 22kW chargers in all the places you mentioned and 150kW chargers on inter-urban routes. 50kW chargers are rubbish. They’re too fast to allow you to go for a proper meal (at least with the eCars 45 minute overstay charge) and too slow to allow you to sit and wait when you’re mid journey.

With modern cars, the 50kW charger should be treated as a 1 hour charger, the overstay charge should be lifted on them where there is an alternative or HPC available. For a location like a hotel, yeah 22 7kW charge points is a better use than 7 22kW ones.

• Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

liamog wrote: »
    With modern cars, the 50kW charger should be treated as a 1 hour charger, the overstay charge should be lifted on them where there is an alternative or HPC available. For a location like a hotel, yeah 22 7kW charge points is a better use than 7 22kW ones.

Anywhere that's overnight parking has no need to provide more power than you can get at your own home. 7kW.

50kW DC as you say is more of a 1 hour charger in 2021, but until we have more units I don't see ecars removing that overstay fee. My car on 50kW for an hour is about 60% battery. In certain scenarios I'd be happy to leave it charge for an hour or more on DC (grabbing lunch with the family at a smaller towns DC unit) but with the overstay fee I feel limited to 45 minutes. 50kW is a fast slow charger to me, and the 45 minute fee renders them a bit useless (I say a bit, because I could just pay for it).

22kW AC (I can use 11kW) are only useful to me if I'm stopping for a few hours. Rugby match or a browse around town for a few hours etc, unfortunately they're typically occupied by cars which have long since charged (commuters etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zg3409

I see a report from easygo when you use an easygo fob or app at an esb charger, particularly 22kW AC chargers then esb mistakenly are applying an overstay fine after 45 minutes, which they should not have. Easygo and esb are aware of the problem and presumably those that have been overcharged in the past will be refunded. So if you used your easygo fob or app to start an esb 22kW charger check your fees history

I thought EasyGo had an overstay fee at IKEA (I remember it being 2 hours) but the app says there's no overstay now. Same deal with Decathalon. Can anyone confirm that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Yeah. Seems the same was true for decathlon too. Used them today for 2 and a half hours, 28kWh, €8. Flawless service, and really quick to handshake and initiate charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LarryBarry

Hi anybody help - Have easy go app setup & funds in it. Using iOS & trying to use the app on an ESB charger I keep getting a rejected error

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

What's the story with charging at Lidl? I know it's 2 hours free but what happens after the 2 hours? Do they cut you off or do you get billed for any kWh used over 2hrs? I know that any Lidl I've been to only allow 2 hours parking so I assume there's a fine form Lidl as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭innrain

There were reports of connectivity issues between ecars and easygo. Use ecars website to start an ad-hoc charging session if you don't want to create an account with ecars.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bkeane

Easygo don't charge you for overstaying. However if Lidl have clampers to cover a car park, they could clamp you if you overstay.

Right so not really enforced by easygo then... Good to know

Yes. The charger does not stop, so in theory you can stay all day. Particular stores have strict clamping, others less so. They can move the beggars from the doors at some, so it's less of an issue. So look for beggars when you abandon!

In terms of overstay fee on AC ESB chargers after 45 minutes, easygo said on Facebook that they hope it to be resolved in the coming weeks and that it may indeed be unintended by ESB. Here is hoping.

I asked easygo today by email if they can auto top up my account (like ESB do) when my credit is low as twice at easygo chargers my charging stopped mid charge due to low credit. You need to realise, try to figure out why, top up, go to Banks app to verify, go back to easygo app and click continue, all while you are not charging

In DCU main campus the touch to pay reader is not "yet" working, but the charger is ok on app and fob. I find that site is very quiet at weekends while other nearby ESB sites are often in use even at midnight.

Yes. The charger does not stop, so in theory you can stay all day. Particular stores have strict clamping, others less so. They can move the beggars from the doors at some, so it's less of an issue. So look for beggars when you abandon!

Just to be clear, my intention is not to abandon, my concern was if I'd overstayed by a minute or 2 what would likely happen, I live across the road from a lidl with these chargers and I'm a regular customer of the store so fully intend to avail of the 2hrs free charge but no more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭innrain

And also you need to have the credit topped before you start the session. If you add funds later while the car charges, the charger still stops when the initial amount is reached. I worked out I need to have around 20 quid when I start a charge to make sure it does not stop due to low credit.

Personally I value my time more and with a home charger on night rate I don't bother to public charge if I don't need to even if it is free. That said I tend to prefer free chargers if I need them. You should factor in the hassle of starting and stopping a charge, going home and back, and then the moral issue of possibly depriving some that needs a charge not getting one. For my max 7kW EV I would save 1.40 euro approx per 2 hours charging. I sometimes just test the chargers to ensure they are working for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,155 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's funny, when looking for chargers I generally pick the paid ones. They are less likely to be hogged by locals etc.

As an example, I had to wait in Rathfarnham for 2 hours over the weekend so I parked and plugged in at the chargepoint charger in the shopping center. I picked that over Nutgrove as Nutgrove is free to use and likely overrun with locals

I tend to prefer paid easygo 50kW chargers over ESB 50kW chargers, mainly as they are less busy and more likely to be not in use. They cost a bit more but the 2 X 50kW in kinnegad are often both not in use, even though I don't like supermacs. The one at DCU main campus is great as all nearby 50kW ESB units tend to be very busy, possibly the busiest in the country. Kinnegad is also a good distance for my EV in terms of range, with back up options before and after if they are busy or broke or blocked. The free circle k 50kW in Athlone is my first port of call, but there is lots of backup options nearby. (it's broken at the minute). It's a great motorway services. It's a pity Easygo don't have 50kW chargers at more key sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,155 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes if I'm looking for DC my priority is

• Multiple units per site
    • Paid
    • Backup available

The kinnegad location is only 20 minutes from my current house so I dont really use it for charging but on the few times I have, it's been in use on the other side too.

What do they cost more? Is it 5c per unit? So on a 62kWh battery it would cost €2.48 to go from 0-80%? I wouldn't be public charging too often but once a month it wouldn't be bad

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

It is overrun with locals, and the usual 4x4 style of car with the hybrid battery!

Easygo have a start charge fee, but it looks to be 40c vs 30c on ESB. Prices vary depending on touch to pay easygo or account type with esb etc. I tend to charge at home on night rate so the odd public charge fees do not add up to much.

So 10c extra a unit... Saucy enough at 40c as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No really , what’s your day unit charge ?

now add on the cost of the charger, billing system, maintenance, rent etc.

seems fair enough

Advertisement