Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Vostro 2000

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Return it, use some rubbing (small amount) alcohol to clean off the thermnal paste. The new one will come with thermal paste applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

Yip, got onto amazon, and got refund. However .... its 2-4 weeks for a new one to be dispatched! So, on the hunt for a different cooler please?

No, cpu didn't come with cooler - this is probably why my previous install years ago was easier, as it was literally a click and push :-)

alowe wrote: »
    Yip, got onto amazon, and got refund. However .... its 2-4 weeks for a new one to be dispatched! So, on the hunt for a different cooler please?

No, cpu didn't come with cooler - this is probably why my previous install years ago was easier, as it was literally a click and push :-)

If you're anywhere near Dublin 5 or Harcourt St I think I've a stock AMD cooler if you want it.

If you're anywhere near Dublin 5 or Harcourt St I think I've a stock AMD cooler if you want it.

Thanks, but I don't mind waiting for one.

So question again ... choice of Arctic Freezer A13 X (which is supposedly compatible with amd) - arrive next week,

Or Arctic Freezer 34 (arrive week after)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MFVG2BY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A17AS5ETPMZ9A1&psc=1

What is the benefit of one over the other in realistic terms if not overclocking. Will the cheaper one do just as good a job for the next few years and not risk any issues?

Thanks, but I don't mind waiting for one.

So question again ... choice of Arctic Freezer A13 X (which is supposedly compatible with amd) - arrive next week,

Or Arctic Freezer 34 (arrive week after)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MFVG2BY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A17AS5ETPMZ9A1&psc=1

What is the benefit of one over the other in realistic terms if not overclocking. Will the cheaper one do just as good a job for the next few years and not risk any issues?

I think the a13x is just the AMD one of the one you have so should be grand.

• Advertisement

Ok scratch below - got monitor working, but its very tempermental ... it keeps restarting (goes to no signal, then goes back and shows me the motherboard). Do I need to flash a bios? Everytime I touch something, the screen goes then back (it is properly screwed in). I have mouse and keyboard in, and usb with windows on it.

Any help ... again ... greatly appreciated :-)

"So I got my new fan, and have it installed. Connected up all i could, turned on, and got fans and lights .... but nothing to monitor. I couldn't find anywhere for the power vga cable? (does it need this, as i'll be using the onboard graphics). As I don't have a CD drive, do I need something to install the drivers that came on a cd with the motherboard? I had my usb stick with windows, but obviously nothing.

Where do I go from here please???? Do I need an external cd drive? (and me doth thinks if anyone is close, I think i'd happily pass over this to finish :-( )"

The cables from the PSU for GPUs don't need to be connected inside as you're using onboard graphics.

Don't worry about the CD you'll be able to download the drivers once you have windows installed from a USB key.

Are you getting any lights on the motherboard? Usually they have diagnostic lights.

The cables from the PSU for GPUs don't need to be connected inside as you're using onboard graphics.

Don't worry about the CD you'll be able to download the drivers once you have windows installed from a USB key.

Are you getting any lights on the motherboard? Usually they have diagnostic lights.

Have managed to progress to windows is actually installing. There was an awful lot of restarting though - which i'd never encountered before. It seems like it I breathed in the direction of the pc, it restarted. Hopefully after window installs, it'll be a bit more stable. At least it recognises the cpu, ram and ssd! (haven't put in anything else yet...)

Thank you, and will update when no doubt I encounter the next problem!

Ok ... Could there be an issue with the power supply? Its a BeQuiet 300W. I am using my own plug for it, as it only came with a european one. While trying to install windows, it is constantly restarting.... Which is now leading me to believe, something up with the power :-(

Could be, 300W is a pretty weak PSU but then the machine shouldn't be pulling that much power with no discrete GPU.

Windows does restart a bit when installing but not every couple of minutes or so.

In answer to the question it could possibly be a power problem :( More likely a faulty PSU than underpowered though.

• Advertisement

I'm going to take out the PSU from my working pc and see if that helps.

When I turn it on, goto the bios/system screen - don't touch anything - it restarts after about 10 seconds. Its very frustrating, as I can't do anything ... it gets so far, then restarts. Fingers crossed its the psu.

I'm assuming the cpu is fine with this motherboard (a possible reason from googling) - but seeing as that cost me the most chunk of money, really don't want to change it. Its temp is staying at 35degrees Celsius, which I presume is ok.....

35C idle is fine. They can get upwards of 80C under load.

I've changed power supplies - was looking good for a while, but then no :-(

I took out the ssd, and now using a sata hd, still no joy.

I'm at a loss.....

Could possibly be a short, any issues with getting it all built?

All the fans are spinning I take it? CPU cooler is snugly mounted?

Yip fans working, lights showing. Only thing left is to change out the ram for a different one.

Build was fine, apart from the cpu cooler, but snug and not moving now. I didn't turn on till all in place. Solid power supply - although was into plug board (but so was monitor, and plug board works perfect).

Tired now so giving it a break - will disconnect and start again. I did watch a lot of yourtubes to make sure I plugged the right cables into the right places.

Is there a chance the CPU isn't compatible with the motherboard? Although all shows up correct and good on system screen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

I would not upgrade vostro what is it 2013 machine I would also up your budget
    I would build new
    New everything as dell a nd hp make upgrading hard try this I don't know if it works

https://www.neverware.com/

Yip fans working, lights showing. Only thing left is to change out the ram for a different one.

Build was fine, apart from the cpu cooler, but snug and not moving now. I didn't turn on till all in place. Solid power supply - although was into plug board (but so was monitor, and plug board works perfect).

Tired now so giving it a break - will disconnect and start again. I did watch a lot of yourtubes to make sure I plugged the right cables into the right places.

Is there a chance the CPU isn't compatible with the motherboard? Although all shows up correct and good on system screen

I'd be very suprised if it showed up and then caused random restarts. My next port of call would be removing one of the RAM sticks or changing them out if that's an option.

So this is where i've goto this evening --- still no joy.
    (1) Completely disassembled, and updated the bios using the bios button. Reconnected, and the bios has updated.
    (2) Changed the hard drive - no joy
    (3) Changed the ram (which I finally found one the same - although I only have 4gb) - same.
    (4) then I thought maybe its something shorting in the case - so took out everything - so now all I have is a motherboard, cpu with fan on top, power supply to motherboard, and cpu power - vga monitor plugged in and keyboard, and then ended up having to put in the power little lead, as don't have a power button on the board.... and still no. It randomly restarts.

In the bios menu, when I try to go into hardware monitor, it restarts before I can click on anything in there ....

Where do I go from here? Anything to help my sanity is greatly appreciated.....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Might be worth reseating the cpu and making sure there's no bent pins etc

Might be worth reseating the cpu and making sure there's no bent pins etc

Did that. Took it off for flashing the bios via the button.

I'm thinking the motherboard might be flawed looking at other sites.....so may go for a return and see if that fixes it.

• Advertisement

A belated update .... after trying everything, and swapping out every component I could, I returned the motherboard, got a new one - and all working perfect.

With hindsight .... Definately glad to have purchased most components off amazon, as it was easy to return / exchange. The case is a bit big for me, and i've to figure out how to turn off the led's - but it is very spacious, and gives a lot of air through it, so from a working perspective, its a good case.

I don't know if i'll build again in 7 years when I may upgrade, as the stress of trying to figure out that it wasn't me, but rather a bad component that made it not work caused a few more grey hairs. However, the guidance and help found here was invaluable, and thank you to all who helped.

:-)

+1 on the Amazon recomendation. I've been building machines for over twenty years, not that I haven't still go loads to learn! However I find more often than not something needs to be returned due to a fault/compatibility/just not performing as I expect and Amazon make that a doddle.

Delighted to hear you're up and running.

Advertisement