Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Engineering

• 07-09-2020 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭

My son started back in 5th year and is doing Engineering for the Leaving Cert.

He didn't do Metal Work for the Junior Cert but did do Wood Work and got a B in it

He came home from school this evening and said his Engineering teacher said there is a strong link between Metal Work in the Junior Cert and Engineering and is wondering should he change subjects?

Anyone any views on this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Pistachio19

Just asked my son who did metalwork for JC and Engineering for LC. He said the practical work from JC would stand to you for doing Engineering. He reckons the theory is different. He also did woodwork for JC and doesn't think it would help towards Engineering. From his point of view (if you're willing to take the view of a teen) a person could well manage LC Engineering without having done metal work for the JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

Tomjim wrote: »

He didn't do Metal Work for the Junior Cert but did do Wood Work and got a B in it

He came home from school this evening and said his Engineering teacher said there is a strong link between Metal Work in the Junior Cert and Engineering and is wondering should he change subjects?

Anyone any views on this

I’ve taught both....the practical skills learned in Jc metalwork are pretty easy to pick up....I often had better results from those taking the subject up first time for senior cycle....if he’s interested allow him to proceed....it’s a great subject for removing the pressure on the terminal written exam

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

I was the same as your son. Had to get approval from the principal as I didn't do metal work for the junior cycle. Got an A in higher level Engineering, served my apprenticeship as a mechanical fitter and obtained a degree in mechanical engineering. Metalwork is basically just filing and hack sawing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Throwaway89

Tomjim wrote: »

Anyone any views on this

Hi TomJim,

I took the same route as your son - woodwork for JC which I really enjoyed and then onto engineering for LC. My reasoning was that I wanted to do engineering in college.

I think it's a load of sh*te from the teacher to be honest - if it's what your son wants to do then leave him off - it's the teacher’s job to teach him.

There's probably a small advantage doing metalwork for the JC and then going into engineering - but nothing major. The skills from woodwork do still crossover as with any practical subjects. It's not like your son is coming from French into Engineering.

Advertisement