Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

specialized diverge gravel tyres

Options
  • 08-09-2020 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

I recently purchased this specialized diverge gravel bike, my first "road bike"

https://www.specialized.com/ie/en/diverge-base-carbon/p/175287?color=290947-175287&searchText=96220-7144

It comes with some nice tyres - Pathfinder Sport, 700x38mm, but I was hoping I could squeeze more speed out of it. I feel the resistance curve is fairly high with these. Someone recommended me the gatorskins, but those seem to be maxing at 700x28. Is it feasible to go from 700x38 to 700x28 in the current wheel?

Also, any recommendations you think might help me squeeze more performance out of this bike would be highly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

gagomes wrote: »
    I recently purchased this specialized diverge gravel bike, my first "road bike"

https://www.specialized.com/ie/en/diverge-base-carbon/p/175287?color=290947-175287&searchText=96220-7144

It comes with some nice tyres - Pathfinder Sport, 700x38mm, but I was hoping I could squeeze more speed out of it. I feel the resistance curve is fairly high with these. Someone recommended me the gatorskins, but those seem to be maxing at 700x28. Is it feasible to go from 700x38 to 700x28 in the current wheel?

Also, any recommendations you think might help me squeeze more performance out of this bike would be highly appreciated :)

It depends what sorts of riding you do, but I'd look at getting a second possibly lighter wheelset and putting road tires on it (I haven't used Gatorskins but they are not always well regarded).

That way you can keep the current tires for gravel use and have a second set to swap quickly for road use. A friend of mine has a Diverge and uses this setup with GP5000s I think. You then have one bike which can keep up on a 28kmh group ride, or tackle a lot of offroad

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Second set good idea. WTB exposure or schwalbe depending on what you do. The exposure are plenty fast come in 30 and 34 depending on your roads ok for easy gravel eg canal. The schwalbe are more road orientated but great for bad broken tarmac

Advertisement