Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A feline behavious query please

• 08-09-2020 7:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

This phenomenon is not new but it has intensified of late.

WHY do cats so often sit down in front of their owners, back to us, when we are walking?

I don't mean the submission roll over on the back stuff! See Oliver who is a past master at this..

Just sitting down suddenly with their back to us?

This week I was berrying along a wide boreen, not a narrow path, with three of the cats. Tonto always wraps round my ankles in sheer adoration and love, but then the other two repeatedly just stopped , back to me, as I was walking. Started to wash...They could have done that to the side!

Any insights welcome..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

I need a copy of the classic book by Desmond Morris "Cat Watching" Graces7 - I was just wondering today why my bully ex-feral was lying upside down like your cat in the photo, right beside my newest arrival bullied cat....
    Have you heard of this book? He also wrote Man Watching - back in 1980's I think - its huge, full of amazing photos and a fabulous read

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I would opt for one of John Bradshaw's cat behaviour books for a great general, accessible, entertaining, and thoroughly educational read on up-to-date cat behaviour science.
    Morris's stuff was great in its time, but a lot of his dog and cat stuff pre-dated a huge amount of research into the behaviour of both species, and as such can be a little outdated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Esmae does the same to me, she’ll sit on my foot, the fake one, and start a full on grooming session, at a cross walk, while I’m chatting, so on so on, point is not sure it’s feline specific. I’d be interested to know though too. I’d heard it meant they just loved us and they are comfortable in your presence or that space. Nice to have you back Graces7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

em_cat wrote: »
    Esmae does the same to me, she’ll sit on my foot, the fake one, and start a full on grooming session, at a cross walk, while I’m chatting, so on so on, point is not sure it’s feline specific. I’d be interested to know though too. I’d heard it meant they just loved us and they are comfortable in your presence or that space. Nice to have you back Graces7.

Fascinating! I understand them doing it if we are standing still etc. It is that they deliberately obstruct my walking. Just walk ahead then stop suddenly with their back to me. Not even looking at me. Humped backs.. I keep saying" You will have me over! And then where will we be!"

Tonto is "worse" as he wraps around my ankles, and totally immobilises me, but I understand that as he was deprived totally of affection and contact as well as food. And he is a very tactile little cat.

I was just out after berries to the back field, alone. By the time I decided it was too rough out there, there was a cat behind every clump of rushes.. LOVE them!

And thanks; struggling health wise these days. Old age is catching up with me...

Just realised we are here FOUR YEARS today. Well, three of us are! The most unusual move and journey ever! I remember most. having been a little concerned as to how Scallywag ( dog) would react to the water/boat but she did me proud, running up the gangplank as to the manner born. The crew were most impressed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

aonb wrote: »
    I need a copy of the classic book by Desmond Morris "Cat Watching" Graces7 - I was just wondering today why my bully ex-feral was lying upside down like your cat in the photo, right beside my newest arrival bullied cat....
    Have you heard of this book? He also wrote Man Watching - back in 1980's I think - its huge, full of amazing photos and a fabulous read

Oliver has always done that. It means "I SUBMIT. I am not going to argue or fight. Do with me as you please. Just love me!" He was a street stray and that will be how he survived out there. He is more secure now so does it a lot less. A peace making move. Maybe more to the new cat than meets the eye! But also bullies can get lonely. Oh and Oliver bullies Jacob.

And no; I have no access to books . So we learn as we live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

My dog does that to me on the stairs and in the garden, and it means she wants a belly rub and will not let me past until she gets one. Sometimes it's a three belly rub toll to get to the top of the stairs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Instructions received from the Cat mother ship probably got garbled due to the preponderance of ash in the atmosphere as a result of the wildfires in California.

Either that, or, they're just being cats.

Advertisement