Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trail camera

• 08-09-2020 9:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭

Would anyone have recommendations for a trail camera?

Location has very poor light, so possibly active IR. I'm looking for video, not stills. No need for mobile phone connectivity.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Victor wrote: »
    Would anyone have recommendations for a trail camera?

Location has very poor light, so possibly active IR. I'm looking for video, not stills. No need for mobile phone connectivity.

I bought a campark camera off Amazon maybe 5/6 months ago and its perfect thus far.Ive also just ordered one off aliexpress that looks similar for €20 but have not received it yet so cant reccomend it.The one linked below is similar to mine just rebranded with a different model number.
    https://www.campark.net/products/campark-t30-trail-game-cameras-hd-wildlife-deer-hunting-cams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

No trail cam will have active IR. That would be like shining a 3 million candlepower light for us ,as most wild animals have got some IR capability in their eyesight. Some more than others. It is even speculated that they can detect the PIR light that activates when a trail cam takes a pic or video. Either that or they can hear the shutter click when the camera activates.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    No trail cam will have active IR.
    What do they use for night vision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Brief burst of active IR set up to the shutter speed you selected.IE like an invisibe flash gun.
    Sorry if that sounds like a contradiction to my previous post, but some folks are under the impression that these cams throw out a continuous active IR light beam during darkness like some security cameras have to view darker spots.
    If it is filming, it should film no more than 30 secs with IR before it starts spooking the game. On some clips you can actually see deer start to look about for or at the IR light source.

This is now where the money comes into play,and you pays for what you gets.
    The newer ones have "black light" IR, while the cheaper units still have the older IR lights which seem to be still able to be seen by animals "Black light" apprently reduces this problem.

I think it is the actual noise of the camera activating that can spook them,as there is a distinctive sutle "Click" that us humans can hear in a normal quiet room,so how loud is that to an animal that uses its hearing as a survival tool?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

I just bought 2 spypoint micro cameras.
    Working great but to avail of the bonus offers
    I need a referral email from someone that is already on the spypoint system, we both get bonus offers so PM me email address if you have a spypoint camera account up and running.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement