Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pull out of Building Project in Docklands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,591 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Probably a bad time to invest with recession knocking at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/tech-giant-google-pulls-out-of-office-deal-in-dublin-docklands-1.4348998

What do people make of this? A consequence of Covid or something else altogether? Did Gemma finally nag Google enough?

According to the Journal though, it's a multinational fat cat blah blah so surely them pulling investment out of the country must be good?

Genuinely sad to see this happen, maybe we can get some 8 stories (which get reduced to 5 stories) apartment blocks instead.

Bound to happen given the current climate, their current site is still operational, had they chosen not renew current lease then that could be more worrying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Remote working and social distancing measure making it utterly pointless in the short to medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Remote working and social distancing measure making it utterly pointless in the short to medium term.

"Two-edged sword" - we grabbed off US jobs before and now, in remote working era, someone cheaper grabbed it off us ;)

https://youtu.be/KskY3sZibkE?t=37

• Registered Users Posts: 14,415 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

what do people think there pensions are invested in, if commercial properties become un leasable the pension funds will take a massive hit.

why do you boris is telling people to go to the office !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

At some point we're gonna have to learn that property is not the bedrock of a stable economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Bambi wrote: »
    At some point we're gonna have to learn that property is not the bedrock of a stable economy.

Couldn't agee more. And you'd think that our government would be wary of being so beholden to the same set that caused us so much pain 12 years ago.

Anyway I too am watching this development with interest to see what transpires. I know of one large organisation due to decamp to a new building in the docklands that this may have them scratching their chins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

and there is another big US company who has a site near the docks announce internally that the citywest campus site(which is pretty big) is up for review and they are not renewing their lease...its starting folks

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I can imagine in 12-18 months new planning applications for change of use from office space to residential use

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

loads of ready to go co-living spaces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Augme

Gatling wrote: »
    I can imagine in 12-18 months new planning applications for change of use from office space to residential use

You'd wonder how many people would actually want to live there if they don't have to work there though. Grand canal and the surrounding area is full of people who live there because they work there, given the prices they have been paying I can also see a huge drop in rental fees for the area in the next year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Augme wrote: »
    You'd wonder how many people would actually want to live there if they don't have to work there though. Grand canal and the surrounding area is full of people who live there because they work there, given the prices they have been paying I can also see a huge drop in rental fees for the area in the next year or so.

yeah and there's damn all around the area too but if people moved in you mgiht get more stuff opening up

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Google make all their decisions by looking up the answers on Ask Jeeves.

In this case, Ask Jeeves brought them to some posts on boards.ie that told them Ireland is fucked

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Are their buildings off Pearse st going to be finished?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

This was a rental not a purchase agreement.

Work from home which will never fully go away + headcount freeze = reduced need for future office space.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

Who owns the building that Google are renting in the docklands?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

HugoMyBoss wrote: »
    Who owns the building that Google are renting in the docklands?

Some south Korean company

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ChikiChiki wrote: »

Upwards only rent reviews, leave the thing vacant for the next 12-18 months while the pandemic rages, come back to it with 30% off the initial rent after that and lock the rent for 5 years. It'd probably save them 2-3 million quid.
    Gatling wrote: »

A lot of the new hotels that got fast track planning were all built in such a way that they can become co-living at the drop of a hat. Which I suspect was the original intention all along, co-living was just controversial and took way longer to get approved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

This is the start of a process that I hope ends with Dublin city centre becoming more liveable.

It has been too expensive and unpleasant for too long. Nearly 2000 a month for a two bed apartment only to to have junkies and homeless vomiting and crapping all over the place.

Lets hope that after a reboot it comes up cleanly.

Biker79 wrote: »
    This is the start of a process that I hope ends with Dublin city centre becoming more liveable.

It has been too expensive and unpleasant for too long. Nearly 2000 a month for a two bed apartment only to to have junkies and homeless vomiting and crapping all over the place.

Lets hope that after a reboot it comes up cleanly.

Its why co-living spaces or 'hotels' are thriving , the only planning that doesn't require social housing, trying to pack in so many working people into Dublin that it forces out the junkies and the homeless. north city centre needs to be cleared though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Its why co-living spaces or 'hotels' are thriving , the only planning that doesn't require social housing, trying to pack in so many working people into Dublin that it forces out the junkies and the homeless. north city centre needs to be cleared though.

Seriously, where does one put them if you clear them out? Apart from effective rehabilitation, there is no easy fix for these issues otherwise it would've been done by now. And most of these people have their support networks living in proximity so removing them from that network won't work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Seriously, where does one put them if you clear them out? Apart from effective rehabilitation, there is no easy fix for these issues otherwise it would've been done by now. And most of these people have their support networks living in proximity so removing them from that network won't work either.

Anywhere, but it's not fair that they have the city centre such a kip and they continue to be given housing there, new build luxury housing too these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

A boost for employment opportunities for people in the rest of Ireland. Believe it or not there is a whole other country outside of the M50.

We are now in the middle of a Work from Home revolution and this is great news for a rural Ireland.
    Dublin and its 90-120 minutes commute can kiss my ass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Anywhere, but it's not fair that they have the city centre such a kip and they continue to be given housing there, new build luxury housing too these days.

They don't just disappear, unless you got some kind of final solution in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Great.

Might free up some prime apartments for our 10,00 homeless.

Spread them out into smaller clusters so they can’t form whole estate gangs.

Working people cant afford to he near their ‘support networks’ , that argument has to be completely thrown out. I also feel like when thats said that its a sly way of saying ‘drug dealer’

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Great.

Might free up some prime apartments for our 10,00 homeless.

The project started months ago.

I wonder what the developer will do?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They don't just disappear, unless you got some kind of final solution in mind.

Its good news for Dublin too, housing prices and commutes will drop, hopefully airbnb will **** off, the city wont be jammed to the rafters with tourists and spud gobblers in boot cut wranglers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

A boost for employment opportunities for people in the rest of Ireland. Believe it or not there is a whole other country outside of the M50.

We are now in the middle of a Work from Home revolution and this is great news for a rural Ireland.
    Dublin and its 90-120 minutes commute can kiss my ass :)

I agree - and I'm a Dub!
    What the rest of the country needs now and rapidly is workable, stable broadband and the job is oxo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Everyday I pass the massive HubSpot building along the quays which has only opened, yet no one is in it. I have never seen anyone in it apart from the receptionist. They even removed all the cups and cutlery from the cafe they have inside the entrance.

Advertisement