Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pull out of Building Project in Docklands

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Biker79 wrote: »
    This is the start of a process that I hope ends with Dublin city centre becoming more liveable.

It has been too expensive and unpleasant for too long. Nearly 2000 a month for a two bed apartment only to to have junkies and homeless vomiting and crapping all over the place.

Lets hope that after a reboot it comes up cleanly.

Agree - we were becoming the next San Francisco quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

if commercial properties become un leasable the pension funds will take a massive hit.

With Covid there is no flights to Hawaii or Italy for pensioners anyway...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Bambi wrote: »
    Its good news for Dublin too, housing prices and commutes will drop, hopefully airbnb will **** off, the city wont be jammed to the rafters with tourists and spud gobblers in boot cut wranglers :D

Spud gobblers in boot cut wrangler's, we've the opposite problems in the west of Ireland.

Oyster sucker's and fur coat and no knicker slickers...

Pretentious bell ends asking for directions to Fr Ted's house, I give them the tourism route, a 30 kilometers round trip that can be cut short by first right at the expo center and stay left....8 minutes at average speed..

Joking about the round trip, but after that Jackeen taxi driver gave me the tour de Cliath last year I couldn't take it out on the yawwws from The Souzth soide loike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

nthclare wrote: »
    Spud gobblers in boot cut wrangler's, we've the opposite problems in the west of Ireland.

Oyster sucker's and fur coat and no knicker slickers...

Pretentious bell ends asking for directions to Fr Ted's house, I give them the tourism route, a 30 kilometers round trip that can be cut short by first right at the expo center and stay left....8 minutes at average speed..

Joking about the round trip, but after that Jackeen taxi driver gave me the tour de Cliath last year I couldn't take it out on the yawwws from The Souzth soide loike :)

All for the Instagram shots, and they're probably all working in advertising. ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Companies were gradually beginning to move to the home office set up prior to Covid.
    Anyway, it makes sense not to be investing in office space nobody will be using for the immediate future.
    Be a slow realisation of the new norm, once we even know what that might look like, but a vaccine could turn that on it's head within months of release.
    Covid aside, the company tower block is on the way out IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Wait until they realise that once they get people working from home, they may aswell employ the lads from india on half the price of the Irish lad.
    Id be very worried about where this is heading.

Granadino wrote: »
    All for the Instagram shots, and they're probably all working in advertising. ****.

Not for long, people are getting tired of Instagram and Facebook etc...

All those companies have been worth a fortune on paper, but the new Facebook and Instagram will be not having Facebook and Instagram..

People are already deleting Facebook and just holding onto the messenger

It's sad that Google aren't moving in, because I know people need work and local business would depend on the shortfall.

My own son had his eye on getting a job with Google, but something will come up.

He has the farm to fall back on anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Biker79 wrote: »
    This is the start of a process that I hope ends with Dublin city centre becoming more liveable.

It has been too expensive and unpleasant for too long. Nearly 2000 a month for a two bed apartment only to to have junkies and homeless vomiting and crapping all over the place.

Lets hope that after a reboot it comes up cleanly.

Forgive my lack of knowledge about the workings of local government, but who is responsible for the current situation?

Rents are sky high, young people from the inner city are being forced out of their localities, and the north city centre is crumbling, getting worse by the month. Yet endless hotels and office buildings are approved, not to mention the white water rafting vanity project in the IFSC.

I had a look at the members of DCC and was really surprised to see the amount of left-leaning parties and independants represented. I can't tally how they are all so vocal that its Fine Gael and Fianna Fails fault at national level, yet they have such strong representation at local level to seemingly no effect. What am I missing?

kona wrote: »
    Wait until they realise that once they get people working from home, they may aswell employ the lads from india on half the price of the Irish lad.

People will hopefully bycot Google if that's the case.
    I've seen it over the years, highs and lows in the big multinationals.
    Banks giving out huge loans based on people's job security and pufff Jobs gone at the stroke of a pen and a quick meeting.

A friend of mine is an actuary and he said never apply for the big fancy Jobs with the bells and whistles, find something you enjoy and have a few hobbies and interests.
    Maybe write a book or play or something.

Stay the hell away from the conglomerates...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Sorolla

There is an old rule of thumb

Say you have $100,000
    It makes more sense to hire 2 engineers and pay them a salary of $50,000 each than to hire 10 engineers in a low wage country at a salary of $10,000 each

The less complexity the better

I see no risk for the highly skilled Irish workforce

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Forgive my lack of knowledge about the workings of local government, but who is responsible for the current situation?

Rents are sky high, young people from the inner city are being forced out of their localities, and the north city centre is crumbling, getting worse by the month. Yet endless hotels and office buildings are approved, not to mention the white water rafting vanity project in the IFSC.

I had a look at the members of DCC and was really surprised to see the amount of left-leaning parties and independants represented. I can't tally how they are all so vocal that its Fine Gael and Fianna Fails fault at national level, yet they have such strong representation at local level to seemingly no effect. What am I missing?

No idea. But what you say makes sense. If we look at cities with left leaning administrators in the US for example, they are also deteriorating with the same problems. I guess its idealism informing important decisions rather than pragmatism.

There are videos of LA and SF city centres on youtube that are truly shocking, with the level of drugs/ homelessness.

Part of the problem has been the closure of mental institutions, with all the patients eventually ending up on the streets. In Dublin, the North Inner City is full of shelters/ hostels. Most of these people need hospitalisation...but you have to wonder why there is so much mental health issues in the first place.

Anyway...going off topic a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

Curing addiction and poverty is simple, we've done it thousands of times!! 😉😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

kona wrote:
    Wait until they realise that once they get people working from home, they may aswell employ the lads from india on half the price of the Irish lad. Id be very worried about where this is heading.

Good observation!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

As pp have said, perhaps housing will take over from offices in these areas. Would revitalise the place since so many are working from home in the suburbs.

Bring life back, get the restaurants and shops going again. Doesn't matter where anyone lives in the city if they are WFH anyway. Put the offices in the suburbs and extremities, and let the workers live in and enjoy the city. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

the only people dumb enough to live in dublin city centre these days are foreigners fresh off the plane

nthclare wrote: »
    Not for long, people are getting tired of Instagram and Facebook etc...

All those companies have been worth a fortune on paper, but the new Facebook and Instagram will be not having Facebook and Instagram..

People are already deleting Facebook and just holding onto the messenger

It's sad that Google aren't moving in, because I know people need work and local business would depend on the shortfall.

My own son had his eye on getting a job with Google, but something will come up.

He has the farm to fall back on anyhow.

After a few years in advertising surrounded by the jargon he’ll appreciate working on a farm eventually !

Their phone support is already outsourced to India. Has been for a while. Not that I have an issue with that.

Granadino wrote: »
    Their phone support is already outsourced to India. Has been for a while. Not that I have an issue with that.

I think some of our mobile phone companies use Indian guys for technical issues and bills etc

I had to have a few chats with them Via text in a chat box thing and they had my issues sorted out in minutes.

And I must admit, they're quite friendly mannerly and very quick at helping you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Its a recession. Nothing will happen for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

what do people think there pensions are invested in, if commercial properties become un leasable the pension funds will take a massive hit.

why do you boris is telling people to go to the office !

If your pension fund is invested in property you are a risk hungry type of pension investor, this would be part and parcel. That being said, if your Irish pension fund was taking exposure to Irish property, you've missed the boat to make gains.

• Advertisement

Sorolla wrote: »
    There is an old rule of thumb

Say you have $100,000
    It makes more sense to hire 2 engineers and pay them a salary of $50,000 each than to hire 10 engineers in a low wage country at a salary of $10,000 each

The less complexity the better

I see no risk for the highly skilled Irish workforce

Or just hire two, at $10,000 each, and pocket the other $80,000..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Couldn't we knock it down to 5000 each and pocket the 90000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Not saying Ireland or anywhere else is immune to this eventually, but India is still a long way away from being a like for like alternative. I lived there for a couple of years, and while there are many highly skilled individuals, it still faces major issues with stable infrastructure and government.

The office complexes have made huge investments in their business continuity plans, including backup generators for the many power cuts and internet outages, but the average workers living arrangements may not necessarily match up for work from home. Another thing to note is that wage inflation is surprisingly high as its still only a very small percentage of the total population who can afford to get the necessary qualifications, so the pool is smaller than you think

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

It's not that simple to just say turn it into apartments or other residential space. Office space is not designed with living in mind. There's no balconies or windows that open and generally speaking floor to ceiling glass which means it's bloody roasting with the sun coming in and I possible to keep the light out.

On its own its not something that would worry me. Google workers contribute very little to the local economy as they get everything free in the building so they never go out for lunch, coffee etc.

Edgware wrote: »
    Couldn't we knock it down to 5000 each and pocket the 90000.

Of course. Sure why not.

'No experience needed as full training will be provided'.

There are people out there that would need years of training to make a sandwich. However, if NASA can teach someone how to land on a moon, Google can teach some goat farmer in Pakistan how to code over Zoom and pay him a relative pittance for it.

I've no 'skin in the game' as they say, as I work in a completely unrelated area, and whether Google buy up all of Dublin, Athlone, Cork and Galway, or vacate completely, makes no difference to me whatsoever. However, if I were involved, I wouldn't be overly keen on the work from home thing, if I had all my eggs in the Google basket.

If Muhammad and Paddy are doing the same job, but Muhammad can do it for a fraction of the price, and Google's relationship with both of them is a face on a CV, then guess who's looking for a new job. Take Muhammad and recruit several of his friends (as some will drop out invariably) and teach them in an online Google School. Give them a Google Qualification that's worthless anywhere else, and you've cheap employees for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭M256

Wait until they realise that once they get people working from home, they may aswell employ the lads from india on half the price of the Irish lad. Id be very worried about where this is heading.
    WFH has nothing to do with it. MNCs have been employing massive numbers of people in India for decades. You don’t really think that Google and the others are here for the offices in the docks, that are quite average by any standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

This was a rental,
    They purchased the treasury building and are also developing the Bolands Mill sites. That’s around 2,500 extra office space. I was surprised that they were renting additional space. I’d say there’s nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Not saying Ireland or anywhere else is immune to this eventually, but India is still a long way away from being a like for like alternative.

That's not true, there are entire cities built in India especially for IT outsourcing and staffed by respected companies such as IBM, Accenture, Cognizant,etc.

How can you say India has a long way to go when the entire IT industry is run by Indians, either there or Indians based in the US or Europe.

Go to any IT office in the US or Europe, there is a lot of Indians among the staff. Why are companies here recruiting from India if their skill set is so much lower? Their skills and capabilities are far more than they get credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

salonfire wrote: »
    That's not true, there are entire cities built in India especially for IT outsourcing and staffed by respected companies such as IBM, Accenture, Cognizant,etc.

How can you say India has a long way to go when the entire IT industry is run by Indians, either there or Indians based in the US or Europe.

Go to any IT office in the US or Europe, there is a lot of Indians among the staff. Why are companies here recruiting from India if their skill set is so much lower? Their skills and capabilities are far more than they get credit for.

I already gave my reasons why it’s not an exact like for like at this exact moment, without once questioning the skill set of the Indian people, so not sure how you took that point from my post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Outsourcing abroad makes the IDA sad, and if you make the IDA sad you threaten getting the cushty corporate tax rate.

Advertisement