Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pull out of Building Project in Docklands

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

It's not that simple to just say turn it into apartments or other residential space. Office space is not designed with living in mind. There's no balconies or windows that open and generally speaking floor to ceiling glass which means it's bloody roasting with the sun coming in and I possible to keep the light out.

True for the existing stock, but it might guide us on current and future planning applications to say maybe there is enough commercial space for now, and we need to think differently about how we plan and structure our city. I won't hold my breath, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I already gave my reasons why it’s not an exact like for like at this exact moment, without once questioning the skill set of the Indian people, so not sure how you took that point from my post

Wasn't directed at you per se, but other posts on Boards maintain the reason their jobs are save is due to the difference in skills.

Few years ago, I worked alongside people in India and did not once experience any connection or power outages. Looking at the Images of a place like HITEC city, looks like the infrastructure is not the worst.

kona wrote: »
    Wait until they realise that once they get people working from home, they may aswell employ the lads from india on half the price of the Irish lad.
    Id be very worried about where this is heading.

This has happened since the early 2000s. Anything that can be outsourced has been outsourced, and lots of stuff that shouldn't be has been too. Half my work is cleaning up the mess left by outsourcers.

What people don't understand is you need someone who can clearly communicate the requirements from customers to outsourcers. This is hard enough in person with someone you can go for a pint with. It's exponentially harder to do it with some lad in Mumbai who has no clue about the issues in your Irish office or culture.

Irish workers are also extremely flexible. This is not the case with many countries.

Look at it like this - who do you think will come up with a better brand image for your company - some guy from down the road or some guy in Bangalore?

salonfire wrote: »
    Wasn't directed at you per se, but other posts on Boards maintain the reason their jobs are save is due to the difference in skills.

Few years ago, I worked alongside people in India and did not once experience any connection or power outages. Looking at the Images of a place like HITEC city, looks like the infrastructure is not the worst.

I experienced this on a telecon with a subcontractor for O2 UK in India. The calls were forever dropping due to power outages. Couple that with him being very difficult to understand and the whole thing was a disaster. However this isn't the biggest issue. The biggest issue is that for some things you need people from a country or at least living there.

Let me ask people this - if you could choose, when you ring tech support with some problem with your mobile phone, would you prefer someone in Ireland to assist or someone in India?

In actual fact, this is a massively POSITIVE development for Ireland, the MNCs will save a fortune and not have to prop up the lifestyles of the mega rich property barons. Employees will be better off too, being able to choose to live in less expensive locations where many of them commute hours every day from. Housing will be freed up and the rents and prices will drop. People will be better rewarded for what they know, rather than what they own.

I also predict a huge boom in local co working spaces in medium and large towns once corona is gone.

Probably not a great time to own lots of property or be a bank. Banks can fcuk off if they think they are getting another bailout though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

In actual fact, this is a massively POSITIVE development for Ireland, the MNCs will save a fortune and not have to prop up the lifestyles of the mega rich property barons. Employees will be better off too, being able to choose to live in less expensive locations where many of them commute hours every day from. Housing will be freed up and the rents and prices will drop. People will be better rewarded for what they know, rather than what they own.

I also predict a huge boom in local co working spaces in medium and large towns once corona is gone.

Probably not a great time to own lots of property or be a bank. Banks can fcuk off if they think they are getting another bailout though.

Dept. of the Taoiseach:

888370.jpg?b64lines=IENBTiBZT1UgSU1BR0lORSBBIFdPUkxECiBXSVRIT1VUIFBST1BFUlRZIERFVkVMT1BFUlM_

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

kona wrote: »
    Wait until they realise that once they get people working from home, they may aswell employ the lads from india on half the price of the Irish lad.
    Id be very worried about where this is heading.

Out sourcing to cheaper labour markets is not always a good decision.
    A company I once worked for went down that route and it wasn’t exactly a glowing success. The drop in the quality of the service was staggering and the clients noticed and complained.

We could be looking at a hybrid model in many companies where your expected in the office a few times a week/month.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moycullen14

This has happened since the early 2000s. Anything that can be outsourced has been outsourced, and lots of stuff that shouldn't be has been too. Half my work is cleaning up the mess left by outsourcers.

What people don't understand is you need someone who can clearly communicate the requirements from customers to outsourcers. This is hard enough in person with someone you can go for a pint with. It's exponentially harder to do it with some lad in Mumbai who has no clue about the issues in your Irish office or culture.

Irish workers are also extremely flexible. This is not the case with many countries.

Look at it like this - who do you think will come up with a better brand image for your company - some guy from down the road or some guy in Bangalore?

This

Despite accountants thinking that IT workers are fungible resource, they're not, never were and never will be.

Some work can be outsourced, maybe even should be outsourced but the value added stuff? No.

There is a saying that all the 8 year olds in the world can't combine to beat a grandmaster at chess. In fact, the more you have, the worse the results. Outsourcing is a bit like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This

Despite accountants thinking that IT workers are fungible resource, they're not, never were and never will be.

Some work can be outsourced, maybe even should be outsourced but the value added stuff? No.

There is a saying that all the 8 year olds in the world can't combine to beat a grandmaster at chess. In fact, the more you have, the worse the results. Outsourcing is a bit like this.

There's also regulatory requirements in some sectors (eg: financial services) that will determine where jobs will go. Plus the target market for whatever the product or service is may influence - some companies have had to move services back from places like India because of negative customer feedback and thus the impact on sales/retention.

The usual approach I hear is the repetitive, simpler stuff that can't be automated for whatever reason is outsourced, but the higher-end stuff, (corporate) business support, sales/marketing will all remain onshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

We have gdpr regulations in the eu, regulations in data transfer to third partys and retaining user data.
    i understand google canceled renting out a new office for 2000 staff
    seeing as we are in a new world with covid 19.When google rents a new office it,ll sign a contract for maybe 4 years at least.
    No one knows what will happen , maybe office workers will work from home and go into an office 2 days a week.
    Offices may need to be redesigned to allow more space between each worker.
    Google certainly has the technology to allow most of its workers to work from home .
    Google and facebook need offices in europe to comply with eu regulations
    on data and privacy.And the tax rates here are lower than france or germany
    there are reasons why facebook and google have offices in dublin.
    I dont think we can predict the future of the economy based on one company canceling a move to one office.
    i presume google has offices in asia and other countrys too.
    I think most companys are saving money at the moment by having staff work from home v,even if they still have to pay rent and insurance on empty office buildings .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Their Data Centres are here for good

Their humans I'm not so sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

As well as GDPR, there are even new rules about cloud outsourcing coming in at the European level which will provide for the protection of cloud service provider jobs in the EU.

Noting this and that Buffett has taken out a huge stake in a cloud service company this week, it indicates WFH is going to be prominent for quite some time and also that jobs in the EU are probably not worth outsourcing.

Advertisement