Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemical taste i water every now and again

Options
  • 08-09-2020 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Get a strong chemical taste from tap water every few weeks. Its only in the last year have really noticed it. Assume Irish water dump a load of chlorine in every now and again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Where are you in the city? There are two different water treatment plants serving different parts of the city: Lee Road and Inniscarra.

You can check for known problems on Irish Water's twitter feed @IWCare .

I have noticed variable quality over the past few weeks (Togher area). There have been a few very heavy rainfalls and the water has had a yellow/brown colour afterwards. They do have to add more chlorine at such times. I try not to drink it then, but it usually only lasts for 1 or 2 days .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Where are you in the city? There are two different water treatment plants serving different parts of the city: Lee Road and Inniscarra.

You can check for known problems on Irish Water's twitter feed @IWCare .

I have noticed variable quality over the past few weeks (Togher area). There have been a few very heavy rainfalls and the water has had a yellow/brown colour afterwards. They do have to add more chlorine at such times. I try not to drink it then, but it usually only lasts for 1 or 2 days .

Snap, in Togher also. I was blaming our water bottles all year and washing them whenever got the taste- only copped on last week that might be the actual water. Hadnt noticed the discoloured water

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Strong chlorine taste/smell in water last week alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I live on the north east of the city, on at least 3 occasions in the last month the mains drinking water has been filthy, it may have been other times too but I've not noticed. We received no notification of any works or maintenance being carried out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Simple way to get rid of chlorine taste from tap water, is to put it in a jug and leave it sit there for a couple of hours. Chlorine is a volatile solute, its molecules are diffused in the water, and it will escape into the air if you leave it standing there in a jug. You can speed it up by heating the water, boil it then let it cool etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

pwurple wrote: »
    Simple way to get rid of chlorine taste from tap water, is to put it in a jug and leave it sit there for a couple of hours. Chlorine is a volatile solute, its molecules are diffused in the water, and it will escape into the air if you leave it standing there in a jug. You can speed it up by heating the water, boil it then let it cool etc.

Thanks for that.

Advertisement