Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rolling lawn at this time of year?

Options
  • 08-09-2020 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I wanted to raise the height of my lawn a few inches. It's pretty uneven and there's tree roots in some areas that I want to cover up. Also, there a lot of weeds right now so was thinking if just starting completely from scratch. I would be able to add around 4-8 inches of new soil to the ground and then roll a new lawn on it. Is it too late in the year for that? Differing opinions online, but thought I'd ask with the Irish climate in mind. Should I kill all the grass/weeds first? That would probably take a couple of weeks after spraying, right? (or should I dig up the grass/weeds instead). At that stage I'm in October which I think would mean I should wait till next Spring? Which is fine, I can wait. Thanks everyone for any advice you have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Depends where you are, more than 20km from the coast it may be a bad idea with the likelihood of frost soon, that said here I cut the grass all 12 months last year it was so mild (here being Loughlinstown in south Dublin about 2km from the coast roughly). If you are somewhere near the coast I'd go for it, but sooner rather than later.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Supercell wrote: »
    If you are somewhere near the coast I'd go for it, but sooner rather than later.

I'm close enough, Dublin 12. Have mandatory holidays coming up in two weeks so thought I could do it all then. Will keep an eye on the forecast though, first frost is usually end of September if my mushroom picking youth is anything to go by :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

I'm close enough, Dublin 12. Have mandatory holidays coming up in two weeks so thought I could do it all then. Will keep an eye on the forecast though, first frost is usually end of September if my mushroom picking youth is anything to go by :-).

In D12 also and I got a roll out lawn layed on the 21st December 2017 (the shortest days of the year!) and had no problems with it. March 2018 was the big snow and it didn’t impact the grass at all. I’d say you’ll be fine at this time of year once it’s well watered

Advertisement