Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1000s of pigs killed in fire in Co Down

Options
  • 08-09-2020 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.thejournal.ie/up-to-2000-pigs-killed-in-farm-blaze-in-co-down-5198692-Sep2020/

This is just horrific. Apart from a few free range producers, pigs are kept in horrible cramped conditions indoors and never see the light of day during their whole lives.
    Do you ever think of this when you're eating pork products? Or do people just not care? I haven't eaten it myself in years, mostly due to how they are reared and the fact that they are intelligent animals, as intelligent as dogs.
    It's weird how any article about a few dogs found stray or abandoned has people going nuts looking for people to be executed but a horrible story like this just gets smoky bacon jokes. Cognitive dissonance or whatever.
    I look forward to the pig jokes below...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

There is such a thing as free range pork but it rare that you'd see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

There is such a thing as free range pork but it rare that you'd see it.

Dunnes actually sell a range of it, I've seen it there. But generally speaking no it all comes from these horrible intensive farms.

Dunnes actually sell a range of it, I've seen it there. But generally speaking no it all comes from these horrible intensive farms.
    Must look out for it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Must look out for it

I think that would be Oliver Carty Pork & Bacon of Athlone. Their free-range rashers are quite good and not terribly expensive.

jimgoose wrote: »
    I think that would be Oliver Carty Pork & Bacon of Athlone. Their free-range rashers are quite good and not terribly expensive.

I think it would be impossible to meet the demand for sausages etc if all pigs were reared free range. Would take a lot of land too.
    The reality is unless we eat less pork these horrible intensive indoor farms will continue. What a horrible story, it really is outrageous animals are kept like this. People go nuts over puppy farming but just ignore these horrors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I look forward to the pig jokes below...

What is a pigs favourite karate move called?

The pork-chop

Coming soon to a Christmas cracker near you!

What is a pigs favourite karate move called?

The pork-chop

Coming soon to a Christmas cracker near you!

I wish there was a downvote button

Wouldnt be buying sausages, rashers etc much. If i'm buying pork it'll be shoulder or chops

I think it would be impossible to meet the demand for sausages etc if all pigs were reared free range. Would take a lot of land too.
    The reality is unless we eat less pork these horrible intensive indoor farms will continue. What a horrible story, it really is outrageous animals are kept like this. People go nuts over puppy farming but just ignore these horrors.

You are free to buy a farm and let whatever pigs you like roam free on it.

Other than that, for people trying to make a living rearing pigs, they have to obey market forces and efficiency in order to try to survive on very low margins. If people didn't want pork then they wouldn't be rearing them.

I wish there was a downvote button

Don't worry - I'm sure that they will find out who started that fire.

Someone always squeals eventually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Probably a toss up between the pig or chicken as to who has it worse. Easier to find alternative arrangements with poultry.
    Wouldnt be buying sausages, rashers etc much. If i'm buying pork it'll be shoulder or chops

Probably better for it. Nitrites etc.

Given that it was up the north, is there a possible sectarian angle to the fire tragedy?

Does anyone know whether they were Protestant pigs or Catholic pigs?

Given that it was up the north, is there a possible sectarian angle to the fire tragedy?

Does anyone know whether they were Protestant pigs or Catholic pigs?

You're a sad bastard

You're a sad bastard

I'm not the one crying over a few pigs

The pigs would be dead in a few weeks anyway Einstein. You're not saving the world with your virtue signalling on here

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Crap the price of bacon could increase serious topic now

Wouldn't surprise me if those pig-houses were way short of code - they're supposed to be almost totally fireproof, all concrete and asbestos back in the day, gypsum or similar these days.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me if those pig-houses were way short of code - they're supposed to be almost totally fireproof, all concrete and asbestos back in the day, gypsum or similar these days.

The North have been in the news for this before

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/pigs-eat-alive-cannibal-farm-ballymena-northern-ireland-meat-animal-rights-a9289376.html
    Pigs were found eating each other alive or with gaping wounds in scenes of “extreme neglect and abuse” at a farm certified as “high quality”, campaigners have claimed.

Animal-rights activists filmed cannibalism, bodies left on the floor, and pigs covered in dirt in crowded pens at the farm in Northern Ireland.

Oh, there are some terrible lighten fuckers in that business, right enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

This is the result of a race to the bottom for meat prices.
    Its too cheap. Shouldnt be able to get 5 breasts of chicken for a fiver, a kilo joint of beef for a tenner or 500g of rashers for a fiver, or 12 eggs for 2 quid.
    Some things are expensive to produce. cut costs and the first thing to to is non profit generating items and areas such as welfare.

Meat should cost whatever it costs to produce without overt cruelty to the animals. if it costs more, and less is produced then there are wins in other areas, mainly for the environment.

Before its insinuated, im not vegetarian, vegan or anything else. I enjoy my meat, dairy & poultry.

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    This is the result of a race to the bottom for meat prices.
    Its too cheap. Shouldnt be able to get 5 breasts of chicken for a fiver, a kilo joint of beef for a tenner or 500g of rashers for a fiver, or 12 eggs for 2 quid.
    Some things are expensive to produce. cut costs and the first thing to to is non profit generating items and areas such as welfare.

Meat should cost whatever it costs to produce without overt cruelty to the animals. if it costs more, and less is produced then there are wins in other areas, mainly for the environment.

Before its insinuated, im not vegetarian, vegan or anything else. I enjoy my meat, dairy & poultry.

Yes it doesn't really make sense that you can get a chicken fillet cheaper than a can of f*cking Monster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod:

@Thelonious Monk - don't post in the thread again.

@Donald Trump - if you have an issue with a post, report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

Bet there was a lovely bacon smell lingering in the air locally

99442b80b8096a6be7c381870a5a2dbd--os-simpsons-homer-simpson.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Probably a toss up between the pig or chicken as to who has it worse. Easier to find alternative arrangements with poultry.

Yeah, I've often had this arguement with people.
    Pigs are probably the most intelligent of all farm animals and acutely aware of their surroundings. Some people love getting up on their high horses claiming they'd never eat veal because of the tight conditions the calves are kept in but never give a second thought for poor pigs when tucking into their crispy bacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Pigs are very sociable and intelligent animals.

It's a shame they're so damn tasty.

Seamai wrote: »
    Yeah, I've often had this arguement with people.
    Pigs are probably the most intelligent of all farm animals and acutely aware of their surroundings. Some people love getting up on their high horses claiming they'd never eat veal because of the tight conditions the calves are kept in but never give a second thought for poor pigs when tucking into their crispy bacon.

I don't know about that. We used to have a donkey here who actually published many peer-reviewed papers on topics such as group theory and differential geometry.

He was very well regarded and won many prizes and awards for his contributions. You could say that he was out standing in his field

Prof. Don Key

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I don't know about that. We used to have a donkey here who actually published many peer-reviewed papers on topics such as group theory and differential geometry.

He was very well regarded and won many prizes and awards for his contributions. You could say that he was out standing in his field

You're really flogging a dead horse with all these farm jokes.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    You're really flogging a dead horse with all these farm jokes.

To be honest, he was a pain to be around for any length of time.

An awful smart-ass so he was

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I always buy free range chicken and eggs, it doesn't bother me to pay more. I wish there was more free range pork. I will try Dunnes as it was mentioned that its sold there.

• Advertisement

I always buy free range chicken and eggs, it doesn't bother me to pay more. I wish there was more free range pork. I will try Dunnes as it was mentioned that its sold there.

Just be aware that "free-range" might not mean exactly what you envision it to be.

It will of course be better than factory-style production but that doesn't necessarily mean carefree animals wandering freely around a farm

Advertisement