Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TT Earthing shed

Options
  • 08-09-2020 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi all,We have an old shed at the top of the garden around 50m from main fuse board our supply seem to be TT earthing but shed is wired like diagram A should it not be like B or C

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Are you sure your installation is TT ?
    This is quite unusual.

Regardless of this I would be installing an earth rod local to the shed and connecting this earth electrode to the earth bar in the shed sub distribution board. I would also connect the shed earth bar to the earth bar in the main distribution board.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Toby250

2011 wrote: »
    This is quite unusual.

Regardless of this I would be installing an earth rod local to the shed and connecting this earth electrode to the earth bar in the shed sub distribution board. I would also connect the shed earth bar to the earth bar in the main distribution board.

As far as i can make out it is,it has an earth from esb meter to distribution board but not from main fuse to esb meter, if it was tn-c-s would you not have an earth before or from main fuse going to distribution.. but then what is the earth from esb meter to distribution board about?

This is quite unusual.

Also if it was TN-C-S should you even have an earth rod conected?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Toby250 wrote: »
    Also if it was TN-C-S should you even have an earth rod conected?

An earth electrode ties the earth bar it is connected to to the local ground potential. This is desirable as extraneous conductive parts should be at the same potential as the ground they are local to. So from that perspective it is best to connect an earth rod at the shed regardless of whether it is a TT or TNCS installation. If this was not done then earths connected to the earth bar would be at the same potential as the MET which of course may be slightly different to the potential at the shed.

if it was tn-c-s would you not have an earth before or from main fuse going to distribution.. but then what is the earth from esb meter to distribution board about?

With TNCS the neutralising point is at the cut out. As such you would have L, N & E from the meter cabinet to the main distribution board.

See page 4 of this link.

• Advertisement

With TNCS the neutralising point is at the cut out. As such you would have L, N & E from the meter cabinet to the main distribution board.

See page 4 of this link.

Thanks for the info, I don’t see any at the cutout just one going into the meter from distribution board so this is TT then? Regardless I need to get an earth sorted in the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It sounds like you are describing an old installation where it is neutralised at the ESB meter.

This makes it a TN-C-S installation. The neutral tail and main protective conductor (neutralising link) both connect to the ESB's PEN (Protective Earthed Neutral) conductor. So you have a phase conductor and PEN conductor from the DSO (ESB).

I agree with the advice that a local electrode is desireable at the shed in either case to keep the MET firmly tied to Earth potential.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It sounds like you are describing an old installation where it is neutralised at the ESB meter.

This makes it a TN-C-S installation. The neutral tail and main protective conductor (neutralising link) both connect to the ESB's PEN (Protective Earthed Neutral) conductor. So you have a phase conductor and PEN conductor from the DSO (ESB).

I agree with the advice that a local electrode is desireable at the shed in either case to keep the MET firmly tied to Earth potential.

Would that not be a TT the fact I have a consumer earth? Just trying to understand the difference.

Would that not be a TT the fact I have a consumer earth? Just trying to understand the difference.
    No.

A TT (Direct Earthed) system is Terra-Terra, i.e. Earth to Earth.

Therefore the Earth fault loop goes from your electrode through the general mass of Earth to the ESB's electrode and back through the transformer windings.

Your electrode is simply an Earth reference for the ESB's PEN conductor.

TN-C-S is Terra/Neutral Combined and then Separate, i.e. Neutral and Earth are combined (in the PEN conductor) and then separate within your installation. The electrode merely ties the PEN to Earth again at your installation to try to prevent a dangerous voltage developing between the MET and true Earth.

The overwhelming majority of the Earth fault current will flow through the PEN conductor back to the star point of the transformer. A tiny amount will flow through the electrode as this will be of a much higher impedance.

I would advise against looking at diagrams from the north or Britain as it isn't usual to install an electrode in a TN-C-S installation under BS7671 - although most of the world (rightly) requires it.

TT systems have no neutralizing link.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info, I’ll get an electrode fitted for the shed and get the old shed installation checked out to be sure everything is safe, thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

My own opinion would be, in the case of a domestic tncs, that an earth rod at the neutralising point is adequate.

Bruthal wrote: »
    My own opinion would be, in the case of a domestic tncs, that an earth rod at the neutralising point is adequate.

It probably wouldn't make much difference to TN-C-S alright.
    I got the impression that the earth rod was already installed or it was possibly a TT installation, in which case I would connect it as described. Either way wouldn't hurt.

It would be important to determine whether it is TT or T-C-NS.

Risteard81 has determined its TNCS just an old way of doing it, so should i bother with earth rod in shed? if it improves the safety of the installation any bit i will get one fitted or would i be just wasting money

Risteard81 has determined its TNCS just an old way of doing it, so should i bother with earth rod in shed? if it improves the safety of the installation any bit i will get one fitted or would i be just wasting money

If you can confirm definitely that it is TNCS then I wouldn’t bother.

If you can confirm definitely that it is TNCS then I wouldn’t bother.

Would i have to contact esb to confirm? would an earth wire from meter to distribution board be there for any other reason than a TNCS system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Zarco

Would i have to contact esb to confirm? would an earth wire from meter to distribution board be there for any other reason than a TNCS system?

Normally you just confirm it visually

The connection looks to be hidden with yours

It's better to neutralise at the fused cutout than the meter but ESBN used to neutralise at the meter too on older iinstallations like yours

There's no other reason for a earth connection at the meter

To prove the connection you would do what they call an external fault loop impedance test in the UK(Ze)

A continuity test with the main conductors disconnected also proves it

The resistance between earth and neutral is low in a neutralized installation as they are deliberately connected together. Where as the resistance is far higher when not neutralized as the only connection is though the general mass of earth.

• Advertisement

The resistance between earth and neutral is low in a neutralized installation as they are deliberately connected together. Where as the resistance is far higher when not neutralized as the only connection is though the general mass of earth.

So continuity between earth and neutral at a socket should confirm this for me should it?

So continuity between earth and neutral at a socket should confirm this for me should it?

No

You get erroneous connections on the fixed wiring so you wouldn't prove it that way

Zarco wrote: »
    No

You get erroneous connections on the fixed wiring so you wouldn't prove it that way

What do you mean?

If you measured this with a suitable test instrument I would expect the resistance between earth and neutral to be very low (like under a couple of Ohms) for TNCS. For a TT installation it would be in the hundreds of Ohms. That is assuming everything is wired properly.

If you measured this with a suitable test instrument I would expect the resistance between earth and neutral to be very low (like under a couple of Ohms) for TNCS. For a TT installation it would be in the hundreds of Ohms. That is assuming everything is wired properly.
    It would read through any neutral/Earth fault in the installation though so there's no guarantee that everything's wired properly or not damaged.

It would read through any neutral/Earth fault in the installation though so there's no guarantee that everything's wired properly or not damaged.

if you disconnected main earth at board and you still got continuity/low ohms at a socket would this then tell you have neutral/Earth fault somewhere?

I agree 100%, this is why I said “ That is assuming everything is wired properly.”

if you disconnected main earth at board and you still got continuity/low ohms at a socket would this then tell you have neutral/Earth fault somewhere?

If you mean the earth from the meter cabinet, then yes as the installation should only have one neutralizing point in circuit and in this case it would be disconnected.

It would be best to get an experienced electrician to confirm the earthing arrangement IMHO.

Advertisement