Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 10 (Ile d’Oleron / Le Chateau d’Oleron) – Île de

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

That was an Oscar worthy winning speech. He thanked everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Doc07

‘I don’t mean to be a cry baby’
    Great quote. He was already a great Irish sportsman but he’s a proper legend now.
    Class finish, he held his nerve to not go too early, lead out man was great too and very satisfying that he beat a class sprinter in Ewen who showed his class with the immediate post line handshake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

The OH had to remind she’s working from home and on calls....... and not to be cussing out loud at the telly :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

It's a great win. A proper sprinter now!!
    Poitiers tomorrow!
    Can i do the write up????

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭freddie_

Hopefully with the monkey off his back it will give him the confidence to win more, the green jersey is looking like a very good bet now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Doc07 wrote: »

He was already a great Irish sportsman but he’s a proper legend now.

Has fulfilled his promise more than Nico and Dan? Not to far off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭griffin100

Ah jaysus that won't impress Carrick hardman Sean K. :D

I had this on alongside a zoom call with about ten others and ended up roaring at the screen whilst on mute. I must have looked like a loony.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

freddie_ wrote: »
    Hopefully with the monkey off his back it will give him the confidence to win more, the green jersey is looking like a very good bet now.

Win on the Champs Elysees with the green jersey on his back would be the cherry on top

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Woop.

Bonus woop - my brother in law is Slovakian... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Thrilled for Sam, he really deserved that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Paddigol

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    There must be a lot of pressure on him, all the talk about him taking the green jersey, and his Quick Step main rider on since Allaphilpe is out of yellow contention

Massive pressure. This was a make or break stage for him really. Psychologically I don't know if he'd have been able to come back this Tour had he been beaten to the line again. Double pressure of needing to win a stage and battle for Green.

It's only now that we have Sam competing for sprints in the Tour that I've realised just how much pressure there is on sprinters. I know my heart isn't the better for these stages, can't imagine how they feel. At least with GC/ stage hunters, it plays out over more days/ hours respectively... not condensed into 30 seconds of pure pressure and stress.

Jesus. I need a lie down. Under my desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Win on the Champs Elysees with the green jersey on his back would be the cherry on top

Win tomorrow and hold on to green in Paris would do nicely!

Whatever about Nico, I don't think its fair to questions Dans palmares, monuments and grand tour stage wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bot1

Yess!
    Go on Sam ya good thing!

godtabh wrote: »
    Has fulfilled his promise more than Nico and Dan? Not to far off

Whatever about Nico, I don't think its fair to questions Dans palmares, monuments and grand tour stage wins.

Doc07 wrote: »
    ‘I don’t mean to be a cry baby’
    Great quote. He was already a great Irish sportsman but he’s a proper legend now.
    Class finish, he held his nerve to not go too early, lead out man was great too and very satisfying that he beat a class sprinter in Ewen who showed his class with the immediate post line handshake.

I think he's actually quite pally with Ewan outside of the sprint. I've seen them chatting and laughing together in the bunch a few times over the tour so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Great sprint by Sam....after such a stressful day too

Wr need more sprints in this Tour imo ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Sam going to get the attention he deserves now from the Irish sporting media, he has worked hard for it and deserves every bit of it...

donfers wrote: »
    Sam going to get the attention he deserves now from the Irish sporting media, he has worked hard for it and deserves every bit of it...

Yeah alert on the RTE news app on my phone about a minute after the stage. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ratracer wrote: »
    The OH had to remind she’s working from home and on calls....... and not to be cussing out loud at the telly :):)

Could be worse. I woke up a 6 week old baby from a precious sleep. I may be sleeping in the bike shed tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

Epic stuff

The country is going to fall in love with him when they see his interview on the news later on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Not sure what state Nico is in after his crash, but he finished the stage anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Egan Bernal's haircut! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

1st Irish born and reared winner since Roche in 92?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

donfers wrote: »

Really hope so...even if he takes the green jersey this year, he'll probably still miss out to Katie for RTE sports person of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Ahem, born in Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Totes emosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Zzippy wrote: »
    Could be worse. I woke up a 6 week old baby from a precious sleep. I may be sleeping in the bike shed tonight.

Bring the turbo with you, win win...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Ah, don't do that!!!

Advertisement