Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 10 (Ile d’Oleron / Le Chateau d’Oleron) – Île de

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭freddie_

Great to see such emotion in a sport star, very rare to see nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I think that makes him only the second Irishman to have a stage in each of the grand tours.

And one of only 98 men in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

freddie_ wrote: »
    Hopefully with the monkey off his back it will give him the confidence to win more, the green jersey is looking like a very good bet now.

Definitely it augurs well for him tomorrow, from what he did say in the interview it was clear he was under pressure and possibly overthinking things during the sprints and doubting himself.

He has come a long way from his early days as a pro, I remember talking to him after the finish of the National Championship in Clonmel in 2012 where he was a DNF and he was utterly dejected and wondering if he had a future as a pro cyclist. It has been an amazing journey since then and long may it continue.

Chappeau Sam

https://twitter.com/procycletrumps/status/1303358047302057985

To satisfy the pedants procyclingtrumps has played it safe and gone for shamrocks and not tempted fate with a back to front tricolour.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

dulpit wrote: »
    Woop.

Bonus woop - my brother in law is Slovakian... :pac:

I've got you beat, my mrs is and I'm living over here :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Ahem, born in Belgium.

Oh!
    On the holliers like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Oh!
    On the holliers like?

Sam Bennets dad was a footballer in Belgium

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Oh!
    On the holliers like?

His dad played professional football in Belgium for a while, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

MPFGLB wrote: »

That explains "the kick"

MPFGLB wrote: »

I see that here now. Good genes!
    He got his cycling in on the Irish roads.
    So he can kick and weave with the best of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

1. Sam Bennett 43 DECEUNINCK - QUICK - STEP 196 PTS
    -
    2. Peter Sagan 21 BORA - HANSGROHE 175 PTS
    -
    3. Bryan Coquard 211 B&B HOTELS - VITAL CONCEPT P / B KTM 129 PTS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Zzippy wrote: »
    Brilliant stuff. Gave the 6 week old baby a fright roaring at the TV!

Great leadout from Morkov. Put him in perfect position.

I don't know enough about cycling to talk about the quality of what Morkov did there, but he worked his bollocks off for Bennett, seemed to give everything he had to get Sam in place !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sam wins a TdF stage and I take a strava KoM this afternoon.

Pretty big day for Irish cycling it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Big Ears wrote: »
    I don't know enough about cycling to talk about the quality of what Morkov did there, but he worked his bollocks off for Bennett, seemed to give everything he had to get Sam in place !

Morkov did a class job; one of the best lead-out riders in the world.
    I'm looking forward to his audio diary on The Cycling Podcast tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Doc07

Will look good on his wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Too much emotion watching that & the interview.

Delighted for the lad, he has fought hard to even get to race the Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

1st Irish born and reared winner since Roche in 92?

Jaysus. Italia 90 and USA 94 must of been awful for you with all those “brits” in the team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Doc07

My choice for new office wall photo
    made easy

Jaysus. Italia 90 and USA 94 must of been awful for you with all those “brits” in the team

Rubbish talk

Just enjoy this. Great for Irish sports

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Sunweb did all the work again for bugger all - Bol finished 8th, behind coquard who said he wasnt sprinting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

00152738-800.jpg

Great that he beat all of the best sprinters on the planet to win!
    Brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Wow, that was a class win :) I'm shattered just watching it. Was sure Ewan had pipped him on the line! Anyone notice Caleb had to check his line for half pedal stroke( watch the slow motion replay) , could have been closer !!! Think he has a great chance tomorrow. Have cycled those roads, particularly the first 60kms and last 10kms many times for the past 30 years!! First Summer I haven't been there in 17 years :(

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

What an odd comment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

"I made a deal with my dad. If I didn’t win a stage at the 2013 Tour of Britain, I was going back to college and giving up cycling. It was my last shot. " - Sam Bennett

https://www.rouleur.cc/blogs/the-rouleur-journal/sam-bennett-no-more-the-one-team-man?_pos=2&_sid=05b23e667&_ss=r

sy wrote: »
    Wow, that was a class win :) I'm shattered just watching it. Was sure Ewan had pipped him on the line! Anyone notice Caleb had to check his line for half pedal stroke( watch the slow motion replay) , could have been closer !!! Think he has a great chance tomorrow. Have cycled those roads, particularly the first 60kms and last 10kms many times for the past 30 years!! First Summer I haven't been there in 17 years :(

Caveat: I know nothing about cycling.
    I’ve looked at it a few times and didn’t notice Ewan doing anything other than pedalling like mad!
    Really good to see him congratulate Sam when they went over the line.
    https://twitter.com/letour/status/1303357279438360578?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

What an odd comment

I don't think it's unreasonable to comment on it. He came up racing in Ireland, some people on this forum would have raced against him on occasion for example - it makes his rise that bit more special. A bit like Eddie Dunbar's successes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Weepsie wrote: »
    Sam wins a TdF stage and I take a strava KoM this afternoon.

Pretty big day for Irish cycling it seems
    I got the quickest commute ever, knocked 6 minutes off it, epic day all round.
    I don't think it's unreasonable to comment on it. He came up racing in Ireland, some people on this forum would have raced against him on occasion for example - it makes his rise that bit more special. A bit like Eddie Dunbar's successes.
    I think the grief is that there are plenty of Irish Cyclists who were not born here or who were but lived elsewhere. Its they type of comment that, possibly unintentionally, reeks of schoolboy nationalism. Plenty of great riders fly the Irish flag for the last 30 years abroad and were not born here, to wave them away as if they weren't Irish is, as an Irish man, a bit disgusting IMO. I don't think that was the point of the post, but I can see how it would be taken that way having lived abroad for many years and getting comments for not having an Irish accent from many. Its a bit like some of my coworkers who get the "where are you really from?" when they say their Irish. People don't mean it in a bad way but there isn't really any other way to take it. I'll say no more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭no_4

There’s always one.... can we not be pleased for the guy on his first t de f stage win and many more to come

uote="CramCycle;114555771"]I got the quickest commute ever, knocked 6 minutes off it, epic day all round.

I think the grief is that there are plenty of Irish Cyclists who were not born here or who were but lived elsewhere. Its they type of comment that, possibly unintentionally, reeks of schoolboy nationalism. Plenty of great riders fly the Irish flag for the last 30 years abroad and were not born here, to wave them away as if they weren't Irish is, as an Irish man, a bit disgusting IMO. I don't think that was the point of the post, but I can see how it would be taken that way having lived abroad for many years and getting comments for not having an Irish accent from many. Its a bit like some of my coworkers who get the "where are you really from?" when they say their Irish. People don't mean it in a bad way but there isn't really any other way to take it. I'll say no more about it.[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Brand_New

Full name: Sam Bennett
    Born October 16, 1990 (age 29)
    Menen, Flanders, Belgium :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭no_4

Sunweb were the biggest losers , 7 men supporting Bol to 300m and Sam Caleb and Sagan left them for dust

• Advertisement

Lads let’s celebrate a great win for Sam and Irish cycling.

My question was as genuine as it read in black and white.
    It’s great to see a lad who has done the hard yards at home triumph on the biggest stage of all.

I think he could also win tomorrow!
    Onwards and upwards!

Advertisement