Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 10 (Ile d’Oleron / Le Chateau d’Oleron) – Île de

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The fact that Bennett hadn't thrown his bike, Ewan had and Sagan knew he was bet make such a wonderful picture. There won't be a cyclist washed in Carrick tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

CMcsporty wrote: »

Great that he beat all of the best sprinters on the planet to win!
    Brilliant

Pascal Ackerman says to check out Tirreno Adriatico;)

Switching my focus to the green jersey competition now that Sam has a stage win. If he can extend his lead tomorrow I would be fairly confident of Sam holding green all the way to Paris. The anticipated haul of intermediate points for Sagan is not likely to materialise as there are "soft" points available on Stages 12, 14, 15,16, 17 and 18 where the intermediate sprints occur within the first 50km of the stage without any climbing. I would fancy Sam and Quickstep to be able to control Sagan here and pick up extra points along the way.

The biggest risk to Sam keeping the green jersey is staying upright and healthy (and getting over the alps).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

cunavalos wrote: »

Switching my focus to the green jersey competition now that Sam has a stage win. If he can extend his lead tomorrow I would be fairly confident of Sam holding green all the way to Paris. The anticipated haul of intermediate points for Sagan is not likely to materialise as there are "soft" points available on Stages 12, 14, 15,16, 17 and 18 where the intermediate sprints occur within the first 50km of the stage without any climbing. I would fancy Sam and Quickstep to be able to control Sagan here and pick up extra points along the way.

The biggest risk to Sam keeping the green jersey is staying upright and healthy (and getting over the alps).

Ive no idea who those lads are!!

He beat the best at the TdF - which has the best riders on the planet. & thus the "greatest sprinters"!!

He will get over the alps though yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

MPFGLB wrote: »

That is class! Pure class to see that happiness with teammates and rivals.
    Must be a sound enough fella.

Was the Ewan giving him a hug?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

That is class! Pure class to see that happiness with teammates and rivals.
    Must be a sound enough fella.

Was the Ewan giving him a hug?

Michael Mørkøv is the other winner today.
    Great lead out and looks happier than Sam!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Sam Bennett is a really lovely guy ...very well liked by the Monaco crew and great mates with Nico, Phil Deignan & Eugene Laverty who he trains with or goes for recovery rides with often

He is such a shy and unassuming guy I never forget what Nico wrote about when Sam first moved to Monacco a few years ago he was shy about asking them if he could ride with them and it took him ages to work up to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

As the Mammy would say - 'sure he's a little dote'... and he his. What a genuine, humble guy. Credit to the nation

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Refractions

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Michael Mørkøv is the other winner today.
    Great lead out and looks happier than Sam!

That lead out was absolutely fantastic. I was worried Sam would (have to) go too early but Morkov did his job to perfection. I love it when a plan comes together!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Also Lukas Postlberger coming over to congratulate Sam... class act

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Obviously Sagan wasn't happy with Bennett winning. Didn't bother to shake his hand afterwards. His getting past it now anyway. Well done Sam a win was coming far too long. Now there's more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I think that win might just get him nominated for RTE Sports Person of the Year.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Weepsie wrote: »
    Sam wins a TdF stage and I take a strava KoM this afternoon.

Pretty big day for Irish cycling it seems

Question is, who was more knackered afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I think that win might just get him nominated for RTE Sports Person of the Year.;)

Oh dont worry Im sure RTE can find some obscure GAA player who barely played a game this year to be nominated ahead of Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

Great win for the Belgian rider.

neris wrote: »
    Oh dont worry Im sure RTE can find some obscure GAA player who barely played a game this year to be nominated ahead of Sam

Or not bother with an event at all because of a lack of worthy nominees this Covid affected year!

Seriously though, I'm glad that he, and the sport of cycling, is recieving this much attention from the national broadcaster and not because of a crash or otherwise — the way it usually is.

TRANQUILLO wrote: »

Joke or no joke, can people please fcuk off with this birther nonsense. Sam,Nico and Dan are Irish. End of story.

There's always one.....

Well done on your first post in the Cycling Forum.
    Can you go back under your bridge now please troll

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Joke or no joke, can people please fcuk off with this birther nonsense. Sam,Nico and Dan are Irish. End of story.

My heart whenever any of them are in contention for anything testifies to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

There's always one.....

Shur Tony Martin is a Rás winner - one of our own :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

cunavalos wrote: »

Thursday and Saturday are dangers if the peleton stays together and Bora control the pace... Need breakways and GC fights...

Last week favours Sam...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Tony Martin who used to ride the Essex Quickfit team?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

That lead out was absolutely fantastic. I was worried Sam would (have to) go too early but Morkov did his job to perfection. I love it when a plan comes together!

Must be pretty satisfying for the lead out man to see your sprinter coming around like that to take the win. Would love to see a repeat on the Champs Elysees

ITV had an interview with Morkov there in the highlights, seems like a really classy guy and someone who is a master of his art.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Tony OMartin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Obviously Sagan wasn't happy with Bennett winning. Didn't bother to shake his hand afterwards.

Unless you were there that's just an assumption.

There are now 20 active riders who have won a stage in each of the three GTs:

Fabio Aru
    Sam Bennett
    Cavendish
    Degenkolb
    Ronan Dennis
    Dumoulin
    Ewan
    Froome
    De Gendt
    Gilbert
    Greipel
    Matthews
    Nibali
    Pinot
    Quintana
    Roglic
    Trentin
    Valverde
    Viviani
    Simon Yates

If there was a quiz question to name them all, I would have definitely said Sagan, but he has never actually ridden the Giro.

Well done on your first post in the Cycling Forum.
    Can you go back under your bridge now please troll

Obviously a WUM it seems.

• Advertisement

De Bhál wrote: »
    Unless you were there that's just an assumption.

Its a good assumption.

Advertisement