Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First car - €12k budget - advice (Hyundai i20?)

• 08-09-2020 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am on the hunt for my first car. I am thinking of going for a Hyundai i20 and my budget is €12k.

Looking for some opinions of anyone who owns this car or recommendations for another one.

I am hoping to go for a diesel car, small enough hatchback.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

bleuhh wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am on the hunt for my first car. I am thinking of going for a Hyundai i20 and my budget is €12k.

Looking for some opinions of anyone who owns this car or recommendations for another one.

Thanks in advance.

Before everyone else asks, why a diesel? are you doing high mileage on motorways?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

Buy a Fiesta for €3k and save the rest..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 387 ✭✭Ta ceist agam

I suppose I'll add the other recommendation in many a similar thread:

Why not get an EV? You'd get a Leaf for 12k!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

Superfoods wrote: »
    Before everyone else asks, why a diesel? are you doing high mileage on motorways?

Not at the moment anyway! But the advice I am getting from family and friends is not to get a petrol as I will spend a lot more money on buying the fuel, and also that a diesel is a sturdier car.

Completely open to advice though as initially I was looking at the petrol version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

If you're doing the miles to justify a diesel I would size up a small bit on the car.

Should get a Megane with decent spec for that. One of the late models before this one. Fairly bulletproof

• Advertisement

Not at the moment anyway! But the advice I am getting from family and friends is not to get a petrol as I will spend a lot more money on buying the fuel, and also that a diesel is a sturdier car.

Completely open to advice though as initially I was looking at the petrol version.

If your first car the diesel will cost more to buy, also more to insure, unless you get a small engine diesel which will be awful to drive and kill anyone’s love for a car. Not sure what they mean by a "Sturdier car", doing low mileage in a diesel is bad for the engine and can cause problems. I can say can because it might not but diesel is made for long distances. If your doing short trip your fuel consumption will be higher

Get a small petrol, a lot better job and a lot better to drive

If your first car the diesel will cost more to buy, also more to insure, unless you get a small engine diesel which will be awful to drive and kill anyone’s love for a car. Not sure what they mean by a "Sturdier car", doing low mileage in a diesel is bad for the engine and can cause problems. I can say can because it might not but diesel is made for long distances. If your doing short trip your fuel consumption will be higher

Get a small petrol, a lot better job and a lot better to drive

Thanks for that @Superfoods - some great insights there. I didn't realise that re the diesel car and low mileage. I will be doing mostly city driving with the odd spin down the country (2.5 hours).

Had my heart set on a Hyundai i20 petrol but had been convinced to get a diesel however they're not as readily available.

Think I will go for the petrol now.

Thanks for that @Superfoods - some great insights there. I didn't realise that re the diesel car and low mileage. I will be doing mostly city driving with the odd spin down the country (2.5 hours).

Had my heart set on a Hyundai i20 petrol but had been convinced to get a diesel however they're not as readily available.

Think I will go for the petrol now.

Go with the petrol. The love of diesel is crazy. The petrol will be easier long term to sell as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Have a look at the Kia Rio as well. It’s the same car underneath as the i20.

I wouldnt be burning 12k either, get something cheap and cheerful. Keep your money in back pocket

Even if you wanted to seriously splash out the below is good example with low mileage

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/hyundai/i20/fpa/202002187445487?journey=Search

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Have a look at the Kia Rio as well. It’s the same car underneath as the i20.

Cheers Colm, you read my mind as I was just doing a comparison of the two. Any preference yourself?

I wouldnt be burning 12k either, get something cheap and cheerful. Keep your money in back pocket

Even if you wanted to seriously splash out the below is good example with low mileage

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/hyundai/i20/fpa/202002187445487?journey=Search

Thanks for that. Yeah 12 is just the max really, but the style changed in 2015 so it's from that year up I'll be looking at. I know a guy who runs his own dealership and we've gotten a few cars from him in the family, so it's just a matter of asking him for exactly what I want.

Great to get the advice on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Much of a muchness. I kinda think the Rio is a more mature looking car. The i20 has that nice unusual detail behind the rear doors.
    The Rio came out before the newer i20 so you could go well below your budget and have a 2012

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Much of a muchness. I kinda think the Rio is a more mature looking car. The i20 has that nice unusual detail behind the rear doors.
    The Rio came out before the newer i20 so you could go well below your budget and have a 2012

It comes down to personal taste I think. My wife has sat into the Hyundai and then the Kia and much prefers the Hyundai. As you mention both cars are the exact same but the interior has differences. I find the Hyundai interior better

It comes down to personal taste I think. My wife has sat into the Hyundai and then the Kia and much prefers the Hyundai. As you mention both cars are the exact same but the interior has differences. I find the Hyundai interior better

Yeah I quite like the interior and exterior of the i20, I think they're a very stylish car. The Kia Rio is nice too, but I do prefer the i20 and have found it nice to drive before (albeit shortly, in the past).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

You've mentioned that you are normally driving in and out of town and the odd journey down country. Stay away from a diesel then as there will be a few current and future issues.

1. Short journeys can ruin a diesel due to not getting the dpf regenerated (essentially a diesel catalitic converter) - can lead to expensive fix.
    2. Petrol will be cheaper to service and less complicated than modern diesels
    3. Yes petrol costs more but for the size of car you are looking at they would be relatively effecient anyway.
    4. Diesels will probably be the first type of cars to get city charges for polution or not let into cities in the future due to nox. A petrol will have a better chance to have either reduced charges or longer before that happens. A hybrid better again and an electric better again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

My first car, certainly wouldn't be a €12k car... from a classified or dealer. I say this because,

1. You don't really know what your doing when you buy your 1st car.... and will probably buy the wrong car first up.... No point in having too much money tied up in it...especially if you can't easily get rid of it.

2. Even if you somehow avoid (1) and buy the right car on your 1st purchase.... You are 100% certain to crash your 1st car. (and maybe your 2nd too) soo again, no point in having too much of your hard earned €€ tied up in it.

My advice....

Pick up a hand-me-down type yoke, from family member or close friend.... who has outgrown it. It'll be a known quantity, you will probably get a bargain and you have ready come back to the previous owner if there's any issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

bcklschaps wrote: »
    My first car, certainly wouldn't be a €12k car... from a classified or dealer. I say this because,

1. You don't really know what your doing when you buy your 1st car.... and will probably buy the wrong car first up.... No point in having too much money tied up in it...especially if you can't easily get rid of it.

2. Even if you somehow avoid (1) and buy the right car on your 1st purchase.... You are 100% certain to crash your 1st car. (and maybe your 2nd too) soo again, no point in having too much of your hard earned €€ tied up in it.

My advice....

Pick up a hand-me-down type yoke, from family member or close friend.... who has outgrown it. It'll be a known quantity, you will probably get a bargain and you have ready come back to the previous owner if there's any issue.

1) I'm on my 10th car now and never crashed any of them. First 2 cars were brand new, Peugeot 206 and then a 307. Didn't even scrape them. My fiancé's first ever driving was in my BMW 530d and never scratched or crashed it.

2) Get a hand me down from friends or family to have come back if there are issues? You must be joking..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 387 ✭✭Ta ceist agam

1) I'm on my 10th car now and never crashed any of them. First 2 cars were brand new, Peugeot 206 and then a 307. Didn't even scrape them. My fiancé's first ever driving was in my BMW 530d and never scratched or crashed it.

2) Get a hand me down from friends or family to have come back if there are issues? You must be joking..

We're not all made of money you know!

We're not all made of money you know!

Nothing to do with being made of money. Finished college and started working and bought a 1.1 litre 60bhp Peugeot 206 for 11,000 Irish pounds brand new. Got 11,000 euro back for it 2 years later and got a 307 1.4 with a massive power bump to 75bhp because 206 was too small. They were my cars bought with earned money so I didn't crash them. Or damage them in any way.
    Have never bought a new car since mind you, I fell in love with big expensive German saloons in mid 20s which are way out of my price bracket new!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

bcklschaps wrote: »

56 cars in 10 years and not a single crash...anymore sweeping generalisations there for people starting out?

OP, spend 5k on a 10 year old Honda Jazz/Fit and be delighted with it. Cheap insurance, cheap to run, cheap to maintain and just in general a very good car.

56 cars in 10 years and not a single crash...anymore sweeping generalisations there for people starting out?

OP, spend 5k on a 10 year old Honda Jazz/Fit and be delighted with it. Cheap insurance, cheap to run, cheap to maintain and just in general a very good car.

Off topic, tell us about 56 cars in 10 years! That's one every 2 months. My 10 cars I referenced were in 20 years from year 2000 to this abomination of a year.
    Peugeot 206,307, 406 coupe
    Bmw 316i e36 coupe, 318i e46, 320i e46, 530i e39, 525i e39, 523i e60, 530d f10
    Alfa romeo 156 (for about a month between the e39s until I realised I made a mistake.
    Audi A6 (current car)

Actually I've had 12 cars now that I count properly. Still haven't crashed any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭lisabiscuit

I absolutely love my 09 honda jazz. Best car I've ever owned. The backseats fold down and it turns into a mini van almost. Very economical to run. Just lovely to drive. Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Off topic, tell us about 56 cars in 10 years! That's one every 2 months. My 10 cars I referenced were in 20 years from year 2000 to this abomination of a year.
    Peugeot 206,307, 406 coupe
    Bmw 316i e36 coupe, 318i e46, 320i e46, 530i e39, 525i e39, 523i e60, 530d f10
    Alfa romeo 156 (for about a month between the e39s until I realised I made a mistake.
    Audi A6 (current car)

Actually I've had 12 cars now that I count properly. Still haven't crashed any.

A few at the same time, just simply get bored quickly :pac:

Advertisement