Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verified by Visa issue - living abroad

• 08-09-2020 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi, I'm currently living in Germany, and find whenever I try to buy something over here online that uses Verified by Visa, I don't get the verification text message at all. Is this a known problem or unique to me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

fitzgese wrote: »
    Hi, I'm currently living in Germany, and find whenever I try to buy something over here online that uses Verified by Visa, I don't get the verification text message at all. Is this a known problem or unique to me?

Is your card Irish issued, and also your phone irish issued?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭fitzgese

Yes both Irish issued, with an Irish SIM in the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Strange, I get texts on my Irish number and I'm a lot further away than Germany. Have you topped up your phone lately? Number may be deactivated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

fitzgese wrote: »
    Yes both Irish issued, with an Irish SIM in the phone.

I had a few issues with AIB last year when i was in the Philipines, any SMS confirmation for transactions would/could take hours to arrive, but i assume this was the phone rather than the Bank.

Thanks, phone has credit and has received other texts without issue, will give AIB a call and see if they can get to the bottom of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I've had this problem while travelling, that's why I use revolut (where it is an in-app push not a sms).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Could either be your bank using a questionable SMS platform, or your Irish mobile network having issues with delivering certain types of text messages while roaming (could happen with any network, but Tesco Mobile and other MVNOs are the usual suspects).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Could it be that you are missing +353 in front of your number?

3DataModem wrote: »
    I've had this problem while travelling, that's why I use revolut (where it is an in-app push not a sms).

Actually tried to top up my Revolut with the card to get around this, but unfortunately had the same issue when trying to do an instant top up to Revolut via my credit card. I agree, have both N26 and Revolut and find the in-app verification much better, but in this case I was trying to avail of the 50 or so interest free days by using the credit card (relatively large purchase).

Interestingly, I've tried my AIB cards again today, and got the texts fine, so it must have been an issue with the phone network (although I'm in the exact same location I was when I last tried to use it and the texts didn't come through).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I was not receiving the Mastercard 3D Secure Texts when I was in Mexico at Christmas, I was using Wifi Calling, when I disabled wifi calling and was roaming then the texts came in fine after.

For those unfamiliar with Wifi calling it allows your phone voice calls and SMS text traffic to be routed out over the wifi instead of via the nearest cellular tower. It is a huge bonus when I travel as the phone can connect to Airport - Hotel wifi etc and the phone then thinks it is at home as the traffic is routed via the net. Making or taking a call on roaming can cost €3/minute by comparison. I find it useful in areas here too with weak mobile signal but strong wifi.

• Advertisement
Advertisement