Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing Mortgage

• 08-09-2020 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hello, I'm thinking of fixing my mortgage and wanted to get your opinion. Fixed interest rates are really low at the moment which is leaving me suspicious that variable rates may also drop in the near future. My current rate is 2.95% with AIB. If I fix with them for 5 years, it brings it down to 2.55%, which is obviously an attractive proposition. I would also like to reduce the term and increase the repayments, to pay it off faster. This will come with its own risks but may be worth it. Do you think its a good deal or more of an indication of what the variable rates will do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,295 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Long term ECB rates are likely to stay the same or potentially even go negative; and there's a new player entering the market imminently (albeit apparently targeting public sector workers, just like the reborn ICS does) so I wouldn't be suprised by a slight reduction in rates by all the big players in the next while; so 5 is quite a hefty fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Ulster Bank have (or had) a 2.2% 5 year fixed, I moved to it a couple months ago. Haven't seen anything else come close to that, so was happy to fix for the 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mmc2010

2.2% is really good alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭AnRothar

5 is quite a hefty fix
    We fixed for 5 years 18 months ago as we needed certainty of costs for the next few years.

This certainty was the only reason for us.

O/H was out sick and employer would not sign salary cert so switching was not an option for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,295 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Avant have now come in at 1.95% for people on very solid LTV - I would expect a slight shuffle in similar LTV rates by other banks now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

1600065783704-png.4962

Advertisement