Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September Apple Event

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Watch and iPad event with iPhone 12 announcement to follow in October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

OU812 wrote: »
    https://www.apple.com/apple-events/

Any thoughts on the image?

Someone sitting in a corner hugging themselves while rocking.

EhZ3-kKWAAAfMiJ?format=jpg&name=small

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Do we know anything about the 12 yet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Gael23 wrote: »

a phone with a big screen! Plenty of renders out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Stuff has been known for months as they're leaking earlier each year.

Info from Everything Apple Pro is usually corect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

I really hope they go back to the flat edges like the 4/5 ... but i'm doubting this.

I upgrade every second generation so my 10s Max hopefully will be replaced with this generation

I’m the same I go to every 2nd one. Currently at end of contractor my 8 and looking to go for an 11 this time.
    Waiting for the likely price decrease when the 12 is launched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

whippet wrote: »
    I really hope they go back to the flat edges like the 4/5 ... but i'm doubting this.

I upgrade every second generation so my 10s Max hopefully will be replaced with this generation

As in the video above and this report state that the phone will be similar to 4/5 body.

Phones are leaked well in advance every year as Apple struggle to contain informaition and design likes came out as early as April so I'm very confident that the info available is very accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

Mr.S wrote: »
    The tagline is Time Flies so it's Watch related.

iPhone 12 next month!

It almost certainly is an event for the series 6 watch and the flying reference probably refers to the iPad Air.

But . . . .

It could refer to iPhone 12, as that's heavily speculated to include a LIDAR camera, like the last iPad Pro. If that's the case, then LIDAR is basically a kind of 'time of flight' camera. So, times flies . . . time of flight . . .

At the very least, they're having some fun with the class of tech nerd that reads into every last detail.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Really looking forward to this event.

Hopefully the watch is a big upgrade in the battery department considering they’re launching sleep tracking. So no more charging while sleeping.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Apple said to have dropped 120 Hz display for iPhone 12 Pro models ahead of production
    The iPhone 12 Pro model will be stuck with a 60 Hz display just like the non-Pro model.Apple vaunted next-generation iPhone 12 Pro models look set to miss out on a key piece of 2020 display technology when they start shipping in October.Apple's September 15 event, which features the tagline "Time Flies," will focus on the Apple Watch Series 6 and new iPads, with a second iPhone-focused event coming in October. Apple is releasing a total of four iPhones in 2020, adding one extra to the 2019 lineup. There will be two lower-cost affordable iPhones and two more expensive Pro models. The lower-cost iPhones will come in 5.4 and 6.1-inch sizes, and the pricier Pro models will come in 6.1 and 6.7-inch sizes.All of the 2020 iPhones will have 5G modem chips, but there are two kinds of 5G, and it looks like the *iPhone 12* Pro models will be the only ones to support the fastest 5G, which is mmWave 5G. mmWave 5G is short range and will be used in cities and urban areas, while Sub-6GHz 5G is slower than mmWave but longer range and more appropriate for widespread useBecause 5G modem chips are so expensive, Apple is looking to cut costs. Rumors suggest the *iPhone 12* models won't ship with a power adapter or EarPods in the box, but Apple will offer a 20W power adapter that can be purchased separately.
    *AirTags* are Tile-like Bluetooth tracking devices meant to be attached to items like keys, wallets, cameras, and odds and ends that are valuable and easily lost. With *AirTags*, these items can be tracked right in the Find My app right alongside iPhones, iPads, and Macs.

Having to pay extra for a charger puts me right off

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

Yep totally agree. But then again, I have few boxes with the cable, charger and earphones still in the box.

At the end of the day, I still believe this is Apple trying to increase their margins. Not that they are high already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Having no charger and headphones in the box is just shrinkflation. Even if I don’t use it. I still want it for the money I pay for it.

Having no charger and headphones in the box is just shrinkflation. Even if I don’t use it. I still want it for the money I pay for it.

Would you be happy to add €50-€100 to the price tag for them? Because that’s the reality here.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Would you be happy to add €50-€100 to the price tag for them? Because that’s the reality here.

Nah, the reality with Apple is they remove stuff and keep the price the same or even increase it.

Still remember back in 2010 when I got my MacBook Pro, it came with an extra cable that plugs into the adapter to make it longer (was really handy). In 2015 they removed it and charge an extra €50 for it.

The prices have certainly gone up in general, remember buying my first iPhone 3GS off contract for €500 from O2 in 2008, today they cost 2x as much.
    My 2010 MacBook Pro 15inch was €1500, the newer 15/16 inch MacBook Pro's cost over €3K

In both the laptop and smartphone market, Apple has the highest margin.

Removing the charger makes older iPhones worthless almost. Second hand shops won’t take them without a charger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Will the rumoured new Apple TV and Homepod 2 be released at this event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Removing the charger makes older iPhones worthless almost. Second hand shops won’t take them without a charger

No charger with a phone ?
    You'd have to laugh.

I think most second hand shops, look for stuff that came with the box, places like CEX gives you A rating only if you have the original box etc. If cable and charger no longer comes with the new phones, one expects second hand shops to do the same.

This also inevitable means, this will be the norm for Android phones too. Look at the time when Apple removed the headphone jack, Samsung even mocked them with few ads, only to remove them few years later.

• Advertisement

drogon. wrote: »
    Nah, the reality with Apple is they remove stuff and keep the price the same or even increase it.

Still remember back in 2010 when I got my MacBook Pro, it came with an extra cable that plugs into the adapter to make it longer (was really handy). In 2015 they removed it and charge an extra €50 for it.

The prices have certainly gone up in general, remember buying my first iPhone 3GS off contract for €500 from O2 in 2008, today they cost 2x as much.
    My 2010 MacBook Pro 15inch was €1500, the newer 15/16 inch MacBook Pro's cost over €3K

In both the laptop and smartphone market, Apple has the highest margin.

I never said they didn’t have really high margins. You’re clearly not new to Apple, so this move shouldn’t be coming as a surprise to you anyway. The cost price of the phone is going up with the 5G chip inside, OLED across the board and whatever else is added. If they added the headphones and wall charger in the box, it would be more expensive to buy. And I’m asking if you would be okay with that.

Am I defending that strategy? No. Does it bother me? Not at all. I haven’t used the charger that comes inside the box, or the headphones, since the iPhone 7 because I’ve always used a faster charger and when the X came out I used a 29W fast charger and USB-C cable.

A lot of people won’t be affected by this and won’t care and it almost definitely won’t affect demand either. That’s why Apple can and will get away with it.

My understanding is that the cost of producing the new phones with better screens and 5G modems is substantially higher than previous models. So not including a charger (or crappy headphones that go immediately into a drawer never to be used again) doesn't seem to be a case of increasing margins for Apple, rather subsidising increased costs.

I could of course be wrong. But a few prominent commentators have made this point. Rene Ritchie on Youtube is really good on this.

This video discusses this issue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c0wcYTMO1M

My understanding is that the cost of producing the new phones with better screens and 5G modems is substantially higher than previous models. So not including a charger (or crappy headphones that go immediately into a drawer never to be used again) doesn't seem to be a case of increasing margins for Apple, rather subsidising increased costs.

I could of course be wrong. But a few prominent commentators have made this point. Rene Ritchie on Youtube is really good on this.

I am sorry, but I have to disagree :D

The charger, head phones and cable cost them nothing to make. I would say manufacturing cost for all three will be less than 50 cents. So there really isn't any savings to be made by them not including it.

I am still going with my theory of them wanting to increase their margins !

I reckon they will have the AirPower charger ready to go in a year, so similar to how when they removed the headphones and then came out with the AirPods, they will do something similar. Basically sell the charger and cable for €30 or the AirPower for about €150 to €200, in the hopes of people forking out for the latter.

Again, I have no worries with them removing it. But at the end of the day Apple is a company that makes money and with that comes the notion of how to increase revenue each year !

Earphones are not an issue, I have loads I never use but a charger strikes me as essential

You might be right.

For what it's worth, Rene Ritchie makes the point in his video that most manufacturers that are offering 5G modems have increased the price of their handsets by around 100 dollars, while Apple is apparently planning to price it's 12 series phones at the same price as the 11 series, swallowing the increased cost of the 5G modems from Qualcomm.

The other argument being made for their removal is the environmental one. There are already A LOT of chargers out in the world, and 300,000 tonnes of them are thrown away each year.

I don't have a strong opinion on this. Certainly, I already own about five for six chargers for various iPads and iPhones in my house, and I also own a wireless charger, so it will make zero difference to me. But I don't think it's a cash grab. Or at least, if it is, it's a weird one.

drogon. wrote: »
    I reckon they will have the AirPower charger ready to go in a year!

I'd expect Airpower to launch in October of this year, next month in other words.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Isn’t it an EU also about the Charger? They reckon everyone has one and additional ones shouldn’t come with new phones.

godtabh wrote: »
    Isn’t it an EU also about the Charger? They reckon everyone has one and additional ones shouldn’t come with new phones.

Yep.

Where can you buy the other half of the charger? The cables Apple supply don’t last very long either

• Advertisement

Where can you buy the other half of the charger? The cables Apple supply don’t last very long either

From Apple: 18W USB-C Power Adapter

https://store.apple.com/ie/xc/product/MU7W2B/A

This is a great third party alternative that allows you to charge two devices at once:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-Anker-Delivery-PowerPort-Indicator/dp/B07GSNZJ8R

Or a more compact USB-C only version:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Charger-Adapter-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B087FY53G3

The Apple cables last as long as you want if you look after them, I’ve found.

Advertisement