Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September Apple Event

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Still waiting for a release date for the air and the new phones have one. What’s going on? Just take my money! I’ve been saving long enough lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Still waiting for a release date for the air and the new phones have one. What’s going on? Just take my money! I’ve been saving long enough lol

I could see these being put up for pre-order this Friday the same date as the new iPhones. They wouldn't have announced a date during the event, it will probably be a quiet announcement for the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

DubDJ wrote: »
    I could see these being put up for pre-order this Friday the same date as the new iPhones. They wouldn't have announced a date during the event, it will probably be a quiet announcement for the date.

I thought the same, waiting for the iPhone with the A14 chip. But we have had the event and still no date for the IPad Air, apart from October while the iPhone is already up to preorder ion the site minutes after the event. Meanwhile the Air was announced last month and still.......

All very strange imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭drogon.

From what I am seeing the HomePod was never sold in Ireland, is this true ?

Can't even see the original one listed on their Irish site

I assumed we’d get a date at least even while the website was down. It’s two weeks into October and ringing silence!

• Advertisement

drogon. wrote: »

Nope, it had a very limited market of only a few countries and has been a little neglected by Apple. They opened the event saying they were bring HomePod to more users, but no update on if more countries was included. The other thread says the UK version works perfectly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

drogon. wrote: »

No, never went on sale here, I got mine from Apple UK / parcel motel

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭drogon.

peteeeed wrote: »
    No, never went on sale here, I got mine from Apple UK / parcel motel

Any limitation when using it here ? At 99GBP is very good value for the HomePod mini

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Looks like the battery on the mini will be better than my Xs. That's me sold.

https://www.apple.com/ie/iphone/compare/?device1=iphone12mini&device2=iphoneXS

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Preorders open here with Apple direct 16/10

https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-12-pro

• Advertisement

[URL] https://9to5mac.com/2020/10/13/rumor-new-fourth-gen-ipad-air-available-for-preorder-on-october-16th/[/URL]

9to5Mac saying it could be October 16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

What are peoples thoughts on no charger being included?

It's a load of bull if you ask me. They're including a lightening to USB C cable which makes no sense. Majority of iPhone users won't have a USB c adaptor and will have to buy one anyway.

What's more is, they should return the savings to the customer. Not line their own pockets. They money they must be saving is incredible. Samsung etc will follow suit most likely and I'll be interested to see how they handle it.

In the broad scheme of things it will have a positive environmental impact. It will also mean Apple will make millions more in profit.

Some rumours hinted that the bill of materials of this years iPhone was higher due to 5G etc. So maybe the profit margin hasn’t gone up a lot. Regardless, Apple will still rake in the money from these phones.

I’m personally fine with it, although a €49 price drop would have been nice to offset the cost.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm not bothered by the lack of charger really, though if you believe it was done for environmental reasons then I've some snake oil here I'd like to sell you.

awec wrote: »
    I'm not bothered by the lack of charger really, though if you believe it was done for environmental reasons then I've some snake oil here I'd like to sell you.

In fairness, Apple have always taken a very strong stance on the environmental impact they make. They’ll regularly take 5-10 mins out of their biggest keynotes to talk about how they’re using recycled materials and new processes they’ve introduced.

While I do think the initial reason for dropping accessories was reducing costs, I do believe they were genuine about reducing e-waste and packaging and there was probably people in Apple pushing for this purely from the environmental side of things.

Those not bothered - do you already have a USB-C charging brick or you're happy to buy one on top?
    No previous iphones shipped with a USB-C brick right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

adox wrote: »
    Those not bothered - do you already have a USB-C charging brick or you're happy to buy one on top?

I've got one for my iPad luckily but I'll be buying another with the new Pro max. Bit if a dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

They came with an 11 Pro Max

Last years Pro models did. But third-party companies have been selling them for years so I’d imagine a lot of people will already have one.

I’ve charged my iPhone with the wireless charger about 99.5% of the time since I got it. So for me, there’s no big difference with loosing the charging brick or earphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I already had a USB C brick as I got an Anker on for fast charging.

Wireless charging is also an option.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    I already had a USB C brick as I got an Anker on for fast charging.

Wireless charging is also an option.

Fair enough, was more thinking for those who don’t and are buying the phone.

I didn’t actually think but I presume these can still be charged by a lightning to USB-A cable if that’s the previous brick you have and want to charge from the mains?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Fair enough, was more thinking for those who don’t and are buying the phone.

I didn’t actually think but I presume these can still be charged by a lightning to USB-A cable if that’s the previous brick you have and want to charge from the mains?

Yes the old cables and bricks must work.

I actually don't get Apple's idea of sticking with Lightning and changing to USB C.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

best buy canada has oct 23rd up for the air

4th-gen-iPad-Air-release-date.jpg?w=2000&quality=82&strip=all&ssl=1

peteeeed wrote: »
    best buy canada has oct 23rd up for the air

4th-gen-iPad-Air-release-date.jpg?w=2000&quality=82&strip=all&ssl=1

Argh!!!

Pre order from 1PM today it looks like.

Yeah. Order went in yesterday for iPad and new pencil (mine is incompatible). Now I wait. Again. Lol

Advertisement