Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September Apple Event

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The new charger is completely different to the iphone chargers of the past

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭drogon.

Gael23 wrote: »
    The new charger is completely different to the iphone chargers of the past

All new iPhones come with following one as posted above https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/product/MU7W2B/A/18w-usb-c-power-adapter

it is usb c on the charger side, with lighting port on the other side. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb+c+to+lightning+cable&crid=3MPWK33VH9LH0&sprefix=usb+c+to+lightning+cable%2Caps%2C-1&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_14

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

drogon. wrote: »

Only the Pro models come with an 18W USB-C charger in the box. All other iPhones on sale come with a 5W USB-A adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

For years everybody complained that iPhones were behind Android as they didn't have wireless charging.

Now after a few years with wireless and they say they're not shipping charging people are complaining. People also didn't complain about not getting wireless chargers shipped with their phone and bought their own.

Also the headphones, they're crap anyway and once you go bluetooth then there's no going back to wired headphones. I don't miss cables getting tangled or getting caught in door handles.

It think it environmentally makes sense, everybody does have them. You're only not getting a USB plug for charging anyway, you'll still get a charging cable.

Also, means boxes will be smaller so reduces shipping costs etc.

I think just like with the dropping of the deadphone port that Samsung and others will follow suit and this will be normal in future.

murpho999 wrote: »
    For years everybody complained that iPhones were behind Android as they didn't have wireless charging.

Now after a few years or wireless and they say they're not shipping charging people are complaining. People also didn't complain about not getting wireless chargers shipped with their phone and bought their own.

Also the headphones, they're crap anyway and once you go bluetooth then there's no going back to wired headphones. I don't miss cables getting tangled or getting caught in door handles.

It think it environmentally makes sense, everybody does have them. You're only not getting a USB plug for charging anyway, you'll still get a charging cable.

Also, means boxes will be smaller so reduces shipping costs etc.

I think just like with the dropping of the deadphone port that Samsung and others will follow suit and this will be normal in future.

That is big business PR nonsense you are talking there.

No cables in smaller boxes will not effect the difference environmentally or shipping costs from flying everything out of China to all points around the world wiill continue to effect the environment and now also with the decline of the airline industry due to Covid shipping cost are more than likely going to go up.

• Advertisement

That is big business PR nonsense you are talking there.

No cables in smaller boxes will not effect the difference environmentally or shipping costs from flying everything out of China to all points around the world wiill continue to effect the environment and now also with the decline of the airline industry due to Covid shipping cost are more than likely going to go up.

No it's not nonsense.
    My understanding is that there will be a charging cable in the box.
    It means there won't be a bulky plug.

They reckon because of this that the box size will reduce by half they'll be able to get more phones into one shipment on planes and trucks so therefore needing less of them.
    With the volumes Apple ship, that would be a huge environmental impact. I bet Apple make a big fuss of ths.

Also there may be a price drop because of this. Last year the iPhone 11 was cheaper then then the X so let's see what happens this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

i read there will be no charger enclosed

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    i read there will be no charger enclosed

Yes but the charger is the plug. You'll still get a cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It looks to be about €30 for the plug?

Gael23 wrote: »
    It looks to be about €30 for the plug?

€24.55 is what it costs to buy as an accessory for a 5w Apple Charger

Link

I have at least 5 of these in my house and don't use any as I use higher wattage plugs.
    So I get Apple's thinking on this.

Everybody must have a USB plug at this stage and if not you don't have to buy an overpriced Apple one.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    €24.55 is what it costs to buy as an accessory for a 5w Apple Charger

Link

I have at least 5 of these in my house and don't use any as I use higher wattage plugs.
    So I get Apple's thinking on this.

Everybody must have a USB plug at this stage and if not you don't have to buy an overpriced Apple one.

That’s a good point because nobody needs more of those 5W USB-A adapters as they’re so common around the place. In turn, providing an 18W USB-C fast charger in the box last year with the 11 Pro models and now removing them completely could draw more attention to the decision this year. (Maybe the 12 comes without a power adapter and the Pro models will? Unlikely but who knows.)

For years people wanted a fast charger included in the box. Last year they finally did that and this year it’s gone completely. Sticking with 5W across the board last year might have made it easier to swallow for some people.

Hoping that in 2021 the new phone is USB-C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I do think Apple should have at the very least included a higher wattage brick when fast charging came to the phone the 5 watt brick is a joke in this day and age.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Seeing rumours that this years lineup won't include 120Hz displays. If true, that could mean I'll be skipping this years upgrade. I've been looking forward to the better screens since I first tried the 120Hz iPad Pro's. Seeing that every other phone this year has it makes me think this was a last minute issue that they couldn't get around in time.

Still, with companies like Xiaomi releasing 120Hz ones for $225 it would be ridiculous to see Apple's 2020 flagship lineup not include high refresh rate screens, especially the year they're talking about removing the charger and earphones. I don't get the whole 5G push either, I'd gladly go for a model without 5G if it was cheaper and had the high refresh rate display. I feel like the 5G hype is encouraged by US carriers trying to push people into upgrading.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Seeing rumours that this years lineup won't include 120Hz displays. If true, that could mean I'll be skipping this years upgrade. I've been looking forward to the better screens since I first tried the 120Hz iPad Pro's. Seeing that every other phone this year has it makes me think this was a last minute issue that they couldn't get around in time.

Still, with companies like Xiaomi releasing 120Hz ones for $225 it would be ridiculous to see Apple's 2020 flagship lineup not include high refresh rate screens, especially the year they're talking about removing the charger and earphones. I don't get the whole 5G push either, I'd gladly go for a model without 5G if it was cheaper and had the high refresh rate display. I feel like the 5G hype is encouraged by US carriers trying to push people into upgrading.

Totally agree 5G will be pointless for the next few years as various Irish carriers build their networks, plus in few years the 5G modem will be far more efficient. Also most of us our stuck indoors this year.

LIDAR is another big one being added, but based on how little usage we have seen or heard since it was added to the iPad Pro, I ain't holding my breath.

AirTags will be another key feature - but looks like that is already supported on the iPhone 11 Pro via the U1 chip.

So honestly not sure what is going to be the big selling point, other than the redesign of the iPhone itself or camera

drogon. wrote: »
    Totally agree 5G will be pointless for the next few years as various Irish carriers build their networks, plus in few years the 5G modem will be far more efficient. Also most of us our stuck indoors this year.

LIDAR is another big one being added, but based on how little usage we have seen or heard since it was added to the iPad Pro, I ain't holding my breath.

AirTags will be another key feature - but looks like that is already supported on the iPhone 11 Pro via the U1 chip.

So honestly not sure what is going to be the big selling point, other than the redesign of the iPhone itself or camera

Exactly, there's not a chance I'll be using 5G in the next 12 months and even then it will probably be the lower speed or mid-band version. I can't see millimetre wave 5G hitting Ireland very soon.

I'm in the same boat, although I think I'll love the design (big iPhone 4 fan :D) I just don't see the standout feature set. Improved performance and cameras are just table stakes at this stage, LIDAR has not been hyped by Apple at all, even though rumours were pushing it as a big feature for Apple.

I'm using the iPhone X I got on launch day, this is the first iPhone I've had for more than 2 years. 120Hz had me ready to upgrade, but without it I think I might hold on for another year. Unless the upgrade has enough I'd be wary about dropping €1,200 on it, assuming Apple don't pump the prices up again.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Lots of reports of US retailers removing iPhone 11 material from stores today. Looks like we might see iPhone details after all.

Apparently they even made all the iPhone 11 videos private in YouTube, typically happens when a new phone is on the way.

But Mark Gurman (notorious apple leaker) suggesting it will only be an Apple Watch and iPad event. :confused:

I'd say Apple have a team that has a lot of fun leaking fake news, they know that 90% of the keynote / new iPhone will leak ahead of time, so would make sense to confuse everyone! It only takes one leaker to make thousands of news clips / YouTube videos etc.

Either way, if it's not tomorrow we'll have the iPhone event soon.

Yup - We certainly will have another one for when they release the ARM based Mac later this year.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There is no way they'd surprise everyone at a Watch / iPad event with phone news. They aren't going to give up the huge audience and publicity they get for phone releases to surprise the relatively few people who'll watch this event for watch and ipad news.

No way there'll be iPhone 12 news on Tuesday. That would be well known by now.

A lot of disagreement on what’s going to be announced later on. Who wants to start the bets now? I’m down for no iPhone news, Mark Gurman is rarely wrong about these things.

Incidentally, the event is at 5pm instead of the normal 6pm according to YouTube. Apple’s website starts at 6pm. So dunno if the YT stream has to start earlier or if it’s just the wrong time.

• Advertisement

A lot of disagreement on what’s going to be announced later on. Who wants to start the bets now? I’m down for no iPhone news, Mark Gurman is rarely wrong about these things.

Incidentally, the event is at 5pm instead of the normal 6pm according to YouTube. Apple’s website starts at 6pm. So dunno if the YT stream has to start earlier or if it’s just the wrong time.

It's showing as 6pm on Apple You Tube channel which is 10am Pacific time. Are you seeing a GMT time, which would be 5pm as we're in summertime now?

True, and I'd be surprised if we saw it announced. But it's well known that Apple leak fake news, or try to ;)

The info on no iPhone news is from one sole insider, so in theory it's all possible. Especially the fact that it's all pre-recorded, easier to get through more? 2 hours seems excessive for what's expected.

I miss the days when keynotes where all surprises!

Well they can still pull off surprises.

I'd say they'll have plenty to talk about with iOS14 launch, iPads and Watch.
    Watch could be big update with rumours of upgraded Watch Series 3 to higher spec. I'd say that could become a big selller.

Also they should be launching Apple Airtags too which is a brand new product that will be interesting to see what it's capable of. Sadly going to wipe out Tile's business overnight.

Last recorded presentation was very slick and well done so I'm curious to see how tonight's is.

Might have been wrong earlier but showing as 6pm now - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b13xnFp_LJs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I miss the days when keynotes where all surprises!

x2

It's just a big leaky pot (on purpose or not) now... Still, it'll be nice to see what new toys are coming our way.

Although it’s stated the event could take up to two hours that’s not guaranteed, they could be just giving the typical time slot they use.

Very interesting though to see what happens, and what rumours were correct. We’ll know soon enough. Currently waiting on the Apple animated screen of the stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Here we go...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Watch and iPad only, no phone

Looks like Gurman was right about this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,703 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

My 1980's calculator watch disagrees with you Tim.

Advertisement