Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September Apple Event

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Yeah, I bought one yesterday evening but Apple hasn't taken the cash yet from my apple pay transaction and it's showing delivery Oct 22nd. That's for a blue one with a braided loop strap. I was kinda hoping to get it sooner. What strap options are shipping sooner?

any of the boring old style straps.

think your white/black/blue sport bands. Some of the Sport Loops will always ship quicker than any of the new collection of straps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

mine is black sports band

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

Okay, cancelled last night's order and instead got a blue series 6 with a bog standard blue sports strap - delivery is now set for Sept 28th, but my experience is that Apple are generally a bit faster than they say they'll be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Okay, cancelled last night's order and instead got a blue series 6 with a bog standard blue sports strap - delivery is now set for Sept 28th, but my experience is that Apple are generally a bit faster than they say they'll be.

and you can order a new strap at a later date if they review well

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Order the new strap and they’ll deliver that when available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

OU812 wrote: »
    Order the new strap and they’ll deliver that when available

Now showing a delivery date for a blue braided solo loop of November 12 to 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The iPad air looked very good... until you realise it costs €160 extra to get away from the 64gb model, wtf. Putting usb-c in it is brilliant, I wouldn't buy a tablet without it. I'm amazed that in 2020 apple are still getting away with putting lightning port in their $1000+ phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Ordered the 44mm Space Grey Aluminium Case with Charcoal Sport Loop, says due Oct 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

naasrd wrote: »
    The SE watch coming in at €294 for the 40mm is going to be a huge seller.
    FourFourFM wrote: »
    Agreed but there’s also great value on the refurbished Series 5 for just €319. Makes more sense for me so I’ll be going for that.

I think I'll be doing the same

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I’m gonna chance CompuB on Friday morning to see if they have stock. If not I’ll order online.

I really wanna see the blue and red in person, but I’m torn since they re released the classic gold.

Arrrgh, help me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

ablelocks wrote: »
    I think I'll be doing the same

€436 (£399) on Amazon today for Series 5

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Guys, I am new to Apple Watches (though have an iPhone, MacBook, Apple TV etc). Should I wait for the SE or will I go with the Series 3 that is available at my local Curry's? Is there a huge difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Oxygen rating will be great for me. I have a slightly dodgy heart.
    Listening to the podcasts and youtube reviews, and sleep apnoea is a huge thing, so much so that the watch could check your blood oxygen levels when sleeping and wake you up or alert you!

Selling my series 5 watch btw Barely used to be honest. Apple "enthusiast" (read between the lines)

Will let this go for €270 if anyone wants to grab it. Will be supplied with an "special exclusive" band.

https://www.adverts.ie/other-electronics/apple-watch-series-5-44mm-aluminium-silver-exclusive-band-included/21556717

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

never_mind wrote: »
    Guys, I am new to Apple Watches (though have an iPhone, MacBook, Apple TV etc). Should I wait for the SE or will I go with the Series 3 that is available at my local Curry's? Is there a huge difference?

You can compare the features here.

https://www.apple.com/ie/watch/compare/

Personally, I think the biggest difference is the screen size. The 3 has a huge bezel around it, the SE much less so. This means the screen is a lot bigger, without the watch being much bigger. It certainly made a massive difference to me moving from a Series 0 to the 4. You'll see the other differences in the comparison. I'd also assume that the SE will be getting WatchOS updates for longer than the 3, give that it's newer and has a more powerful processor, but that's not guaranteed, and might not make much of a difference for a good few years. If it was me (and I already have a 4, so I'm not interested in changing it this time), I'd pay the extra for the SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

The iPad air looked very good... until you realise it costs €160 extra to get away from the 64gb model, wtf.

And that's on top of upping the price 100Eur on last years Air. Bah! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    And that's on top of upping the price 100Eur on last years Air. Bah! :)

Can you imagine how much next years pros are going up!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

godtabh wrote: »
    Can you imagine how much next years pros are going up!

I'm wondering if the Pros' days are numbered as I think the Air is eating into it.

Apart from a larger screen why would you want a Pro?

I wonder if Apple are thinking to make the Air almost Pro level and that will lead to more sales.

I could see the Pro going to 13" and 15" and ditch the 11" size. The Air fits that gap fairly capably, sure it doesn't have quad speakers/faceID/120hz refresh rate, but they will trickle down eventually

I'm in market for iPad as my original iPad Air is not working (digitzer gone).

Sensible part says go for the new 8th Gen iPad at €392 but the geek in me wants the shiny new Air big jump to €667. Extra storage is one plus and the better chip but is there a justification for Air for an average consumer like myself who mainly uses iPad for consuming media You Tube etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

You can compare the features here.

https://www.apple.com/ie/watch/compare/

Personally, I think the biggest difference is the screen size. The 3 has a huge bezel around it, the SE much less so. This means the screen is a lot bigger, without the watch being much bigger. It certainly made a massive difference to me moving from a Series 0 to the 4. You'll see the other differences in the comparison. I'd also assume that the SE will be getting WatchOS updates for longer than the 3, give that it's newer and has a more powerful processor, but that's not guaranteed, and might not make much of a difference for a good few years. If it was me (and I already have a 4, so I'm not interested in changing it this time), I'd pay the extra for the SE.

Thanks!! I have a gift certificate for Currys and don’t think they’re getting them in for awhile so might just wait it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭drogon.

murpho999 wrote: »

Sensible part says go for the new 8th Gen iPad at €392 but the geek in my wants the shiny new Air big jump to €667. Extra storage is one plus and the better chip but is there a justification for air for an average consumer like myself who maiinly uses iPad for consuming media YOu Tube etc?

If you want value go with the regular iPad, especially for the use you stated. The main downside with the regular iPad vs iPad Air for your use is on the cheaper one, the display isn't laminated.

Sensible part says go for the new 8th Gen iPad at €392 but the geek in my wants the shiny new Air big jump to €667. Extra storage is one plus and the better chip but is there a justification for air for an average consumer like myself who maiinly uses iPad for consuming media YOu Tube etc?

The way I look at it if you just want to replace get the iPad 8th gen. but you’ll be bored of it sooner not a bad thing but you won’t have that “new shiny” feeling. Buying an air will give you that and will last longer as it’s got newer components.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I replaced my original Air in February with the iPad 7th Gen, I also had a back and forth between it and the new Air (at the time), but went with the Gen 7 as I couldn’t justify it, much for the same reasons you describe. I use it to control my BluSound Node and watch Netflix and Prime when I travel for work. But, in saying that, that new Air looks awesome and if it was now that I was making the choice, I’d lean toward the Air, it’s just gonna do more for longer I think, a worthwhile investment, just like the original was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

If I’m correct, I think there is an air gap between the display and the glass and that’s something I wouldn’t like the look of when watching back content. If you were using an original iPad Air then you seem like you would hold onto yours for a good while, then having an A14 chip will serve you very well for future updates.

You could definitely try out the 8th gen and return within 14 days (you also get away with up to 30 if you call them) if you don’t think it’s good enough and hold out until October - https://www.apple.com/ie-edu/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-air/64gb-sky-blue-wifi - comes in at €618 there for double the storage On education store - I don’t even think they verify if you are a student?

My own experience. I never liked iPads that much. Had an iPad 2, the 1st gen 9.7” iPad Pro and sold both because I didn’t use them enough to justify it. Until I set my eyes on the 11” pro with Face ID last year and wow. It’s such a joy to use. The (mostly) all screen design and the colour accuracy make it an incredible device. All you’re losing from that in comparison to the air is 120hz refresh rate which to me is nice but not a necessity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

FourFourFM wrote: »
    On education store - I don’t even think they verify if you are a student?

Is true? Should I be buying my iPad on education store?

I am of course a student of the school of life still.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Is true? Should I be buying my iPad on education store?

I am of course a student of the school of life still.

i did recently and wasn't asked for any verification. new air isn't listed as an option yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

naasrd wrote: »
    Ordered the 44mm Space Grey Aluminium Case with Charcoal Sport Loop, says due Oct 5th.

Order just been updated to Shipped and now due Tue Sept 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭drogon.

Anyone know if Apple prices have gone down slightly, since the VAT was reduced ? Or Apple just pocketing that 2%
    Curious

drogon. wrote: »
    Anyone know if Apple prices have gone down slightly, since the VAT was reduced ? Or Apple just pocketing that 2%
    Curious

I just checked the Apple.ie website for you so that you don't have to and prices have dropped.

They can't just pocket the 2% vat drop as then that would mean they'd have to increase their prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Has anyone bought via the education store and confirmed no verification was required?

Edit: I see someone has.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Advertisement