Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

September Apple Event

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭drogon.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I just checked the Apple.ie website for you so that you don't have to and prices have dropped.

They can't just pocket the 2% vat drop as then that would mean they'd have to increase their prices.

Thanks. I did check their site, but wasn’t sure of their pricing, so couldn’t tell if it went down or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

drogon. wrote: »
    Thanks. I did check their site, but wasn’t sure of their pricing, so couldn’t tell if it went down or not.

Ok, sorry if I was being a bit cheeky.

You can see as the prices are not rounded as normal. Products are not normally charging cents an also usually at €X99.00 for a product but not anymore.

I notice subscription prices haven't changed yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My iCloud (2TB plan) invoice arrived today.

Subtotal: €8.26
    Vat (21%): €1.73
    Total: €9.99

This was the August invoice:

Subtotal: €8.12
    Vat (23%): €1.87

So for this at least, Apple are pocketing the VAT reduction and keeping the "pretty pricing" of €9.99. That's probably because the contract you enter when subscribing defines the total price you pay, and doesn't take the VAT rate into account. Basically, I've agreed to pay Apple €9.99 a month for the service, and that's what i'm still paying. It would be interesting to see what they'd do if the VAT rate went up (last time that happened here was 2012, and I didn't have the iCloud sub then to check).

Ok, sorry if I was being a bit cheeky.

You can see as the prices are not rounded as normal. Products are not normally charging cents an also usually at €X99.00 for a product but not anymore.

No worries - But there are many companies not passing vat savings to customers.

I just did the calculation and with 23%, they aren't rounded - example of the base new iPad 8th Gen, I know it is only 6 euro. But that 6 euro is better severed in my pocket than Apple's

iPad = €305
    Vat at 23% = €70.15
    Total = €375.15

iPad = €305
    Vat at 21% = €64.05
    Total = €369.05

My gut tells me they aren't passing this to customers. But I just asked in case anyone keeps an eye on prices in general :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

No series 6 available today in any of the compuB stores, even my fall back plan of Harvey Norman has come up short.

Damn it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

Yes, no watches seem to be available this morning.

A CompuB spokesperson told me their website would be updated at 8am this morning for Click and Collect, so I set an alarm. Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No worries - But there are many companies not passing vat savings to customers.

I just did the calculation and with 23%, they aren't rounded - example of the base new iPad 8th Gen, I know it is only 6 euro. But that 6 euro is better severed in my pocket than Apple's

iPad = €305
    Vat at 23% = €70.15
    Total = €375.15

iPad = €305
    Vat at 21% = €64.05
    Total = €369.05

My gut tells me they aren't passing this to customers. But I just asked in case anyone keeps an eye on prices in general :)

I'm not sure where you're getting €305 from? Wasn't the 8th ipad €399?

If so with 23% vat. So divide that by 123 and multiply by 100 is €324.39 net price.
    Vat on this at 21% is €68.12 total is €392.51 and Apple are charging €392.50 so I don't see how they're not passing on the VAT decrease?

Unless I've got the old price wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it was €399 and had the same question re the €305.

I'm not sure where you're getting €305 from? Wasn't the 8th ipad €399?

If so with 23% vat. So divide that by 123 and multiply by 100 is €324.39 net price.
    Vat on this at 21% is €68.12 total is €392.51 and Apple are charging €392.50 so I don't see how they're not passing on the VAT decrease?

Okay. My bad - I was using the link via UNiDAYS, so it was based on my college discount

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

My iCloud (2TB plan) invoice arrived today.

Subtotal: €8.26
    Vat (21%): €1.73

This was the August invoice:

Subtotal: €8.12
    Vat (23%): €1.87

So for this at least, Apple are pocketing the VAT reduction and keeping the "pretty pricing" of €9.99. That's probably because the contract you enter when subscribing defines the total price you pay, and doesn't take the VAT rate into account. Basically, I've agreed to pay Apple €9.99 a month for the service, and that's what i'm still paying. It would be interesting to see what they'd do if the VAT rate went up (last time that happened here was 2012, and I didn't have the iCloud sub then to check).

This is probably more to do with Marketing.

I don't for one moment think Apple magically ended up at 9.99 when they added the Irish Vat to a product they wanted to charge. 9.99 still sounds better than 9.94 in every cents (Hah see what I did there?)

Not arguing for or against this, but just an observation I have seen for many 9.99 and 19.99 subs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

flexcon wrote: »
    This is probably more to do with Marketing.

I don't for one moment think Apple magically ended up at 9.99 when they added the Irish Vat to a product they wanted to charge. 9.99 still sounds better than 9.94 in every cents (Hah see what I did there?)

Not arguing for or against this, but just an observation I have seen for many 9.99 and 19.99 subs.

Yeah, it's called "psychological pricing" - the idea that consumers will perceive something priced at €9.99 as "nine Euro" rather than almost ten.

The "pretty pricing" I referred to is similar - the idea that consumers are likely to react well to a price that is symmetrical and structured looking (9.99), rather than something that appears random (9.71) - it tends to draw attention to the actual cost more than the pretty price does.

Companies tend to set a price they like the look of that covers their costs, profit and tax liability, rather than rely on the raw calculations of these components.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

got a shipped confirmation from apple this morning for my watch S6 , still saying 30 September for the delivery date

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

peteeeed wrote: »
    got a shipped confirmation from apple this morning for my watch S6 , still saying 30 September for the delivery date

It’ll update once it starts moving through UPS’ network. Mine was the same but now says Monday 21st

It’ll update once it starts moving through UPS’ network. Mine was the same but now says Monday 21st
    anything ive got from them before has always been very quick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

peteeeed wrote: »

Got one yesterday morning and my date changed from 30th to 29th. It will probably be fairly accurate as it’s coming from China via DHL and the shipping service is standard, not express.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Was looking at the discussion between standard iPad 8th gen vs 4th gen Air. Pre-event I was dead set on going for the Air, then with the price hike I was settling for the standard 8th gen. Reading back over this thread and the discussion about the laminated display has me leaning back towards the air..... €270 difference, I really am a sucker!

Going to be used for Zwift, and some music production.

Oymyakon wrote: »
    Was looking at the discussion between standard iPad 8th gen vs 4th gen Air. Pre-event I was dead set on going for the Air, then with the price hike I was settling for the standard 8th gen. Reading back over this thread and the discussion about the laminated display has me leaning back towards the air..... €270 difference, I really am a sucker!

Going to be used for Zwift, and some music production.

Honestly for what you plan on using it, the laminated display won't make a lot of difference. But if you have both the displays side by side, it will be clearly obvious

Here is an image of what it will look like (iPad on the left is not laminated, one on the right is laminated) - If you want the best, go with the Air, you won't regret it. But the iPad 8th Gen is great value.

25649-35275-180412-iPad-xl.jpg

Honestly for what you plan on using it, the laminated display won't make a lot of difference. But if you have both the displays side by side, it will be clearly obvious

Here is an image of what it will look like (iPad on the left is not laminated, one on the right is laminated) - If you want the best, go with the Air, you won't regret it. But the iPad 8th Gen is great value.

25649-35275-180412-iPad-xl.jpg

I hadn't actually seen the two side by side, so thanks a million for posting that! I should probably get myself to a shop to see it with my own eyes. Going for something nearly price the price for the sake of a slightly better screen is probably crazy for my uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I know when I first saw the laminated display on an iPhone it was a noticeable difference for me. I noticed the same when going from LCD to OLED, I don’t own the iPad Pro but I could immediately notice the 120Hz compared to 60Hz just by using one on display for a few minutes.

These small display changes are worth it, especially since the device is basically a giant screen. I’d easily pick the one with the laminated display just because of that. I do think the 8th gen vs the Air are two completely separate markets. If you want a very basic iPad to get stuff done then go for that, if you plan to use it a lot more frequently and get a lot of use from it then pay the extra and go for the Air.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I know when I first saw the laminated display on an iPhone it was a noticeable difference for me. I noticed the same when going from LCD to OLED, I don’t own the iPad Pro but I could immediately notice the 120Hz compared to 60Hz just by using one on display for a few minutes.

These small display changes are worth it, especially since the device is basically a giant screen. I’d easily pick the one with the laminated display just because of that. I do think the 8th gen vs the Air are two completely separate markets. If you want a very basic iPad to get stuff done then go for that, if you plan to use it a lot more frequently and get a lot of use from it then pay the extra and go for the Air.

Thanks for your perspective. I'm like a pendulum swaying between the thought of going for the 8th gen or the Air (Or even the 128GB Pro that came out earlier this year). Reality is I will be using it an awful lot and I really do appreciate a good display.

• Advertisement

Oymyakon wrote: »
    Thanks for your perspective. I'm like a pendulum swaying between the thought of going for the 8th gen or the Air (Or even the 128GB Pro that came out earlier this year). Reality is I will be using it an awful lot and I really do appreciate a good display.

Yeah if it is going to be a primary device of sorts. You are better off with the Air.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

I just reserved an SE watch with Argos who say it should be in stock from tomorrow-Saturday. Anyone know if this is BS or if Argos are good with stuff like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

never_mind wrote: »
    I just reserved an SE watch with Argos who say it should be in stock from tomorrow-Saturday. Anyone know if this is BS or if Argos are good with stuff like that?

If they’re saying “should be” it’s nonsense. However if you’re twisting what they’re actually saying...etc etc.

Good honest review on the 8th gen iPad for this still on the fence

https://youtu.be/rYm50hnXs8g

naasrd wrote: »
    If they’re saying “should be” it’s nonsense. However if you’re twisting what they’re actually saying...etc etc.

As in it says ‘Delivery between Thursday - Sunday’ I’m more seeing if people have had experience with them with apple products

My delivery on the Apple store still says 30 September but just got a text from DHL telling me they are delivering it tomorrow

Got my Apple Watch SE! So yes, Argos is great!

My delivery with DHL is still In Leipzig, Germany. Looks like they jumped the gun on promising a delivery date of today.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    My delivery with DHL is still In Leipzig, Germany. Looks like they jumped the gun on promising a delivery date of today.

mine says holland then it was in germany(01:59) then the uk (05:17) and now ireland (06:34) but i got a direct text from DHL to say its out in the van to get to me before 6pm

looks like they threw it around a bit

• Advertisement

Would I be correct in thinking the quickest way for me to get the iPad 8 is to order online from Apple now?

All of the shops seem to have no stock and Harvey Norman have delisted the device from their website which makes me think they won't be getting stock any time soon.

Advertisement