Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Permission

Options
  • 08-09-2020 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I am looking at a commercial building that was used as an office, originally it was a residential building converted to an office and I want to convert it back to residential. Very little was done to change it to an office and very little would be needed to convert it back, probably nothing structural. Do I need planning permission for this, the council wouldn't tell me anything.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Have a look at the bringing back homes document and see if you fall into it.
    You may be exempt under SI30 of 2018.

https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/bringing_back_homes_final.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12 csn453

Thank You

• Registered Users Posts: 12 csn453

I am looking at investing in an older house it will probably need new windows,a roof,insulation, heating and maybe plumbing and electrical. Do I need planning permission for this? The roof is probably the only thing structural to be changed.

csn453 wrote: »
    I am looking at investing in an older house it will probably need new windows,a roof,insulation, heating and maybe plumbing and electrical. Do I need planning permission for this? The roof is probably the only thing structural to be changed.

Like for like Replacement should be fine unless it’s a protected structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 xanacan

I'm looking to build a new home in my local rural area.

An architect has provided outline drawing and we are preparing for a preplanning meeting.

However, people usually ask us 'who is your engineer' for the project.

I understand a civil engineer will translate design to building requirements and perform inspections during the build to release funds.
    I understand that there are consulting engineers who help prepare planning documents and who are very cognisant of what individual planners look for as well as understanding the various planning regs.

Do I need an 'engineer' for the planning process?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

xanacan wrote: »
    I'm looking to build a new home in my local rural area.

An architect has provided outline drawing and we are preparing for a preplanning meeting.

However, people usually ask us 'who is your engineer' for the project.

I understand a civil engineer will translate design to building requirements and perform inspections during the build to release funds.
    I understand that there are consulting engineers who help prepare planning documents and who are very cognisant of what individual planners look for as well as understanding the various planning regs.

Do I need an 'engineer' for the planning process?

Thanks in advance

Your mixing up the terms. A consulting engineer can be a civil, structural, planning everything.

Part of the planning may require drainage and waste treatment and you may need an engineer to determine compliance with this. Also sight lines for the road.

Advertisement