Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

bush wrote: »
    Or the day we realise the virus is killing very few eople or even putting them in hospital

It would make you wonder if that's in any way related to limiting the spread of the virus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Or the day we realise the virus is killing very few eople or even putting them in hospital

Fantasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Graham wrote: »
    It would make you wonder if that's in any way related to limiting the spread of the virus.

The cases are up, the spread isn't being limited. Very few people dying or going to hospital. Is this true or not?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

We know more now than we knew in March/April and we now have a better supply of masks but you already know this.

Any supermarkets I've been into recently are still controlling numbers allowed in at any one time.

Not to same extent as they were in March/April though. A few of them have the red light system but it's limiting numbers to the same extent I haven't had to queue anywhere for months now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

It certainly killing brain cells in some very few cases.

• Advertisement

xhomelezz wrote: »
    It certainly killing brain cells in some very few cases.

Am I wrong with what I say?

The cases are up, the spread isn't being limited. Very few people dying or going to hospital. Is this true or not?

I'd say on the balance of probability, not true.

The spread is being limited.

I'd say on the balance of probability, not true.

The spread is being limited.

10k cases in 1 day in France

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

1000k cases in 1 day in France
    Actually, 10,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Am I wrong with what I say?

Of course not. You are def right. That fùcking thing probably doesn't even exist. Happy?

• Advertisement

10k cases in 1 day in France

Are you in France? Aren't France considering more lockdowns?

I'm in Ireland where we do appear to be managing the increases in cases to a manageable degree so far.

Actually, 10,000.

Ye typo I'm tired

Are you in France?

I'm in Ireland where we do appear to be managing the increases in cases to a manageable degree so far.

I'm on the same planet as France are you not? They have more strict rules on masks

I can't speak for France.

I can tell you here in Ireland the current approach appears to be working for the most part although the Dublin figures will need to be watched closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Ye typo I'm tired

Thought that.

I can tell you here in Ireland the current approach appears to be working for the most part although the Dublin figures will need to be watched closely.

Sweden has lower Covid than Ireland now and people there are not wearing masks over there. Clearly they are doing a better job than us atm. Masks are either useless or actually causing the spread of covid not stopping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

I'm well documented saying that all data/facts tells the obvious story that story that CV19 is blown out of proportion (in EU) -- lots of cases but no load on hospitals // mortality in very old combined with significant underlying health conditions. Sprinkle in media sensationalism.

In any case -- wearing a mask is a no brainer in my opinion, not because of the data (which is very questionable), but because first it might work and second, it gives a lot of people piece of mind. Last, it's no skin of our teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

GT89 wrote: »
    Sweden has lower Covid than Ireland now and people there are not wearing masks over there. Clearly they are doing a better job than us atm. Masks are either useless or actually causing the spread of covid not stopping it.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2251615-is-swedens-coronavirus-strategy-a-cautionary-tale-or-a-success-story/

I'm well documented saying that all data/facts tells the obvious story that story that CV19 is blown out of proportion (in EU) -- lots of cases but no load on hospitals // mortality in very old combined with significant underlying health conditions. Sprinkle in media sensationalism.

In any case -- wearing a mask is a no brainer in my opinion, not because of the data (which is very questionable), but because first it might work and second, it gives a lot of people piece of mind. Last, it's no skin of our teeth.

I don't agree with doing something just because it pleases other people I believe that the masks are only here because they make some people feel better not because they actaully work. I think it's a physiological thing.

It's only a minority of people who actually support mask wearing too in my opinion.

Sweden has lower Covid than Ireland now and people there are not wearing masks over there. Clearly they are doing a better job

As of Sept 3rd

Incidence of coronavirus (COVID-19) deaths per 100,000

Sweden 56.89
    Ireland 36.23

That's in spite of Swedens other favourable factors..

Population density (per sq KM) 2019 figures

Sweden 23
    Ireland 71

Population (Capital City)

Stockholm 975k
    Dublin 1,200k

• Advertisement

As of Sept 3rd

Incidence of coronavirus (COVID-19) deaths per 100,000

Sweden 56.89
    Ireland 36.23

That has nothing to do with masks though. Nearly all those deaths occured long before masks were made mandatory or were even reccomended in Ireland.

Right now Sweden has lower Covid than Ireland.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-incidence-rate-in-ireland-higher-than-sweden-s-for-first-time-1.4342896

See previous figures for population densities.

If we triple our population spread to match Swedens our infection rates are likely to drop naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I see that *ahem* 'DJ Spiral' from Big Brother back in the 2000s is back and kicking off in a Lidl about his 'constitutional rights'.

Seeing as he sounds like Bosco now, I'd be more worried about him having laryngitis than Covid though.

https://twitter.com/ActingTheGom/status/1304711641481838597

On his Facebook page he is looking for legal advice to fight this. I don't think himself or his supporters understand the concept of private property.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I was only pointing out an observation. I think it's mad to be going around wearing goggles the height of paranoia.

The virus can enter the eyes. If we all wore masks, there wouldn't be a need for goggles. But of course, that's not the case here. They weren't being paranoid, they were looking after their health and using any measure to prevent getting this.

• Face masks may be inadvertently giving people Covid-19 immunity and making them get less sick from the virus, academics have suggested in one of the most respected medical journals in the world.

The commentary, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, advances the unproven but promising theory that universal face mask wearing might be helping to reduce the severity of the virus and ensuring that a greater proportion of new infections are asymptomatic.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/face-masks-could-giving-people-covid-19-immunity-researchers/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I can definitely see merit in that argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,286 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They have half our testing rate.
    They have 2-3 times our death rate.
    They have 3 times our ICU capacity.
    They are not a model we can or should follow.

They have 5 times the death rate of Czechs.
    Their economy shrank more than the Czechs.
    The Czechs were earliest adopters of masks in EU.
    They should have been our model.

I will reserve right to repost this anytime someone brings up Sweden on this thread.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Face masks may be inadvertently giving people Covid-19 immunity and making them get less sick from the virus, academics have suggested in one of the most respected medical journals in the world.

The commentary, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, advances the unproven but promising theory that universal face mask wearing might be helping to reduce the severity of the virus and ensuring that a greater proportion of new infections are asymptomatic.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/face-masks-could-giving-people-covid-19-immunity-researchers/

Haha! When I read your text I thought, ‘clutching at straws here’

So I read the article. Full of ‘could, may, possibly, believed, suspect, etc’

And finally, towards the end, two doctors that took part in the study admit it’s only a theory at early stages.

Isn't that exactly what was stated in the post you quoted:
    advances the unproven but promising theory

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    They have half our testing rate.
    They have 2-3 times our death rate.
    They have 3 times our ICU capacity.
    They are not a model we can or should follow.

They have 5 times the death rate of Czechs.
    Their economy shrank more than the Czechs.
    The Czechs were earliest adopters of masks in EU.
    They should have been our model.

I will reserve right to repost this anytime someone brings up Sweden on this thread.

Well maybe Czechia did something that worked other than wearing masks. People bang on about the Czech Republic and how they have done much better than us because they wore masks but if masks are so effective why haven't we had the same results as them once we've reccomended it.

Advertisement