Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

The Czech Republic is weighing up following Austria and Bavaria’s lead in making it compulsory to wear full protective filter masks on public transport and in shops.

However, the Minister of Health Jan Blatný (ANO) urges the public to not rush out and buy up the entire supply of respirators.

https://www.praguemorning.cz/ffp2-respirators-czech-republic/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Seanergy wrote: »
    The Czech Republic is weighing up following Austria and Bavaria’s lead in making it compulsory to wear full protective filter masks on public transport and in shops.

However, the Minister of Health Jan Blatný (ANO) urges the public to not rush out and buy up the entire supply of respirators.

https://www.praguemorning.cz/ffp2-respirators-czech-republic/

Why on public transport and in shops though? What about other workplaces where you can't work from home?

I'm wondering can taxi drivers afford to be out of work at all? I can imagine with pubs and clubs shut, their work has dried up.

I normally tip them now especially with all that's going on. But not the taxi driver I got yesterday. Mask under the nose and then commenting on the window I had open in the back. 1 star review for him. And they're dealing with people as well so can easily catch and spread covid.

I don't know why and with out data we are just guessing. Article says country has 16 million in stockpile and can output 4-5 million monthly, population is 10? million so they cannot mandate everyone.

My understanding is if developed countries grab all the high grade masks, developing and non developed countries will get pinched, resulting?? in possibly some real nasty variants?? that will eventually come back to haunt the developed world. This has the potential to turn nasty.

I know I have the data somewhere on Irema's F2 output but have the HSE still got exclusive use of this line? are they in contract? Are we potentially going to have to airbridge our F2/95s again for our HCW's in a few months? Huge % of our HCW's are dressed only in surgical masks due to HSE mask policy and supply as it is, so we will not be following Europe with pinching F2/95's.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gautama

The lady on last night's late late show talking about her husband who recently caught covid and died last week from it, age 50. He caught it around Christmas and didn't feel right and wore a mask around the house anyways. Think she said they had parents over and she didn't mention herself or the parents catching it. Surely that's proof that masks work?

Did she say how he contracted it, or from whom?
    I didn’t see it but have read a few articles about the interview. He’d been wearing a mask (presumably not the same one) since the pandemic was declared, apparently. Wore it indoors, at home, even during meals. How could he contract it unless it was a defective or badly handled mask?
    I’m dubious about the effectiveness of “fashion masks” and badly handled masks.
    As of yesterday I’ve gone back to wearing those blue medical masks.

• Advertisement

Gautama wrote: »
    Did she say how he contracted it, or from whom?
    I didn’t see it but have read a few articles about the interview. He’d been wearing a mask (presumably not the same one) since the pandemic was declared, apparently. Wore it indoors, at home, even during meals. How could he contract it unless it was a defective or badly handled mask?
    I’m dubious about the effectiveness of “fashion masks” and badly handled masks.
    As of yesterday I’ve gone back to wearing those blue medical masks.

Wearing a mask doesn't protect the wearer. It might give a small amount of protection, not sure about that. But the sick person wears a mask that protects others.
    And we all know at this stage that covid can be passed on even if you're asymptomatic (showing no symptoms). So he picked it up from someone who probably thought they were fine but didn't wear a mask.

Wearing a mask doesn't protect the wearer. It might give a small amount of protection, not sure about that. But the sick person wears a mask that protects others.
    And we all know at this stage that covid can be passed on even if you're asymptomatic (showing no symptoms). So he picked it up from someone who probably thought they were fine but didn't wear a mask.

I recall that being the original logic six months ago, i.e. the mask protects those around the wearer, not the wearer himself/herself/themself.

But hasn’t the logic changed lately? You wear a mask to protect yourself and everybody else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I recall that being the original logic six months ago, i.e. the mask protects those around the wearer, not the wearer himself/herself/themself.

But hasn’t the logic changed lately? You wear a mask to protect yourself and everybody else?

It depends on what mask are you wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

JJayoo wrote: »
    From what I have seen it seems to be a form of attention seeking to not wear a mask, much like when a child will misbehave to get attention from a parent. Don't wear a mask and you will be acknowledged.

Or maybe their breathe smells like sh1t

Or else they may not be brainwashed into thinking that a mask offers some sort of protection.

Or else they may not be brainwashed into thinking that a mask offers some sort of protection.

How about protecting others? Or is that selfish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭lucalux

Maybe, but without you linking to a solid reference, I will not swallow your word, based on all my observations of Biden with mask on. None of us are seeing Biden double masking.

Double masking with a 95 under a non medical is a narrative gaining traction in the USA and I hope it it nipped in the butt soon.

What country are you referring to when you are referring to you observing lots of politicians and reporters double masking?

"At the ABC News Town Hall debate in mid-October he addressed the issue when saying that the words of a President matter when it comes to protecting oneself from COVID-19.

"When a president doesn't wear a mask, or makes fun of folks, like me, when I was wearing a mask for a long time, then people say, well, it mustn't be that important," he said on stage.

"I think this is very important -- for example, I walked in here with this mask, but I have one of the N95 masks underneath it. And I left it in the … dressing room."

Video here of him getting his vaccine dose:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHCQ3cM02DQ
    Wearing two masks.

Some links for you:
    https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2021/01/15/double-masks
    https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/10/16/joe-biden-guarding-against-covid-19-wearing-two-face-masks/3678004001/
    https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/01/22/nation/is-it-time-you-start-wearing-two-masks/
    https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/joe-biden-is-often-seen-wearing-two-masks-in-public-why/news-story/2c76a0c9e6ce7c9fbd61b14ae54aac85
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-19-double-masks-adds-to-obstacle-course-particles-research-shows/
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/21/well/live/double-masking-covid.html
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/letters-to-the-editor/doubling-up-on-masks-for-safety/2021/01/17/423109a0-5744-11eb-acc5-92d2819a1ccb_story.html
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/joe-biden-is-often-seen-wearing-two-masks-in-public-why/FQGRUK7GZDLU3HO5U2LO24YM7Q/

I was referring to America by the way, talking about the politicians there.

Jen Psaki's first press conference in the White House, wearing two masks.

If you look at inauguration photos you can see double masks on people.
    Buttigieg and his husband are two, and the poet Amanda Gorman, but you can look at the photos/videos online yourself to identify more, if you want names of others who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

JJayoo wrote: »
    From what I have seen it seems to be a form of attention seeking to not wear a mask, much like when a child will misbehave to get attention from a parent. Don't wear a mask and you will be acknowledged.

Or maybe their breathe smells like sh1t
    I've noticed that too. I know numerous people with serious respiratory issues who have no issues wearing masks, yet most people I've seen claim they can't wear a mask due to unspecified "health reasons" seems to be a contrarian malcontent who doesn't believe in the virus anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It is almost admirable the amount of effort some posters put into trying to convince everyone that science/physics have been wrong for generations and they know the real truth about masks.

I often wonder is it just boredom or do they honestly genuinely believe what they're spouting?

Graham wrote: »
    It is almost admirable the amount of effort some posters put into trying to convince everyone that science/physics have been wrong for generations and they know the real truth about masks.

I often wonder is it just boredom or do they honestly genuinely believe what they're spouting?

I think there's a bit of a narcissistic personality in these individuals. And I very much know a few narcissistic people and they really believe their own crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

I think there's a bit of a narcissistic personality in these individuals. And I very much know a few narcissistic people and they really believe their own crap.

Your post is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Anybody have a good place buy proper ffp3 3m masks like the ones in healthcare?

Your post is a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.....

Can you explain your post please? How am I narcissist for being pro-mask?

lucalux wrote: »

I was referring to America by the way, talking about the politicians there.

Grand, your talking about America.

Biden's day to day mask is non medical.

Biden did double up when travelling and going for the vax.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I am growing increasingly extremely angry with anti maskers and covid conspiracy theorists. A person I know is critically ill in ICU right now. Family members have long covid symptoms. A number of my Work colleagues and clients are ill too - some very seriously. The social commentary where many call this a plandemic and call the stats fake are frankly disgusting and disgraceful.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I've noticed that too. I know numerous people with serious respiratory issues who have no issues wearing masks, yet most people I've seen claim they can't wear a mask due to unspecified "health reasons" seems to be a contrarian malcontent who doesn't believe in the virus anyway.

And some lunatics are encouraging people to pretend they are disabled to claim exemption. Its absolute and utter bollox.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You do realise it was extensively discussed when masks became generally available. Their main purpose it to limit spreading of the virus by the wearer. It's been recognised throughout that they only provide limited protection to the wearer, but if they are interacting with others wearing masks the overall protection is greater.

To suggest they do not offer any protection is frankly absurd and maybe asks greater questions of who is being brainwashed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can you explain your post please? How am I narcissist for being pro-mask?
    Because the poster seems to have very little understanding of the benefits of wearing masks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭lucalux

Grand, your talking about America.

Biden's day to day mask is non medical.

Biden did double up when travelling and going for the vax.

Grand. So when you said "None of us are seeing Biden double masking" you were mistaken. Glad to clear it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Would like any suggestions also, had some KN95 masks previously, but lost them and wearing cloth masks since.

Want to somewhat stock up before the masses drive the price through the roof.

lucalux wrote: »
    Grand. So when you said "None of us are seeing Biden double masking" you were mistaken. Glad to clear it up.

You haven't cleared anything up. You opened with Biden 'still was' double masking and he ain't. Hence why I said none of us are seeing him double mask.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    It depends on what mask are you wearing.

Thanks.

The moral of the story, if you’re going to wear a mask, seriously consider one that provides two-way protection. Or double-mask.

Thanks.

The moral of the story, if you’re going to wear a mask, seriously consider one that provides two-way protection. Or double-mask.

No, that's just your twisted outcome.

Firstly there is no 'if' your going to wear a mask, it's when your going to wear a mask.

Secondly this double mask American trend is basically compensation for not addressing the problem at hand, fit.

For a mask to work effectively it must create some resistance. The material/filter the mask is made up of will then determine how efficent it is. Highly efficent masks are reserved for HCW's.

There was a scatter on some of builder provider shelves before chirstmas, mainly cause the lads are too tough ;) best to try one's that do not have an online presence.
    Rjd2 wrote: »
    Would like any suggestions also, had some KN95 masks previously, but lost them and wearing cloth masks since.

Want to somewhat stock up before the masses drive the price through the roof.

The K is more american and when found here is more often just ear loops not full head straps, though that's easy to modifiy. The N95's are still in stock in most hardwares.

I cut up one of the 'non medical' KN95's from one of the builder providers to see what it was made up of. It's got all the layers I would want and all layers looked well made, I did not bother with a microscope. I also obviously left considerable amount of time between wearing it and cuting it open, but it's a good way not to waste a mask and also understand the quality of the material used inside the mask, then you can gauge for yourself if the brand meets your approval.

Always do a light test before putting on any mask made by induction welding(surgical masks,95/F2's). Sometimes their are holes where the weld occured, with machines running flat out, speeds and temperatures are high which can result in imperfection from time to time.

cut-up.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

There was a scatter on some of builder provider shelves before chirstmas, mainly cause the lads are too tough ;) best to try one's that do not have an online presence.

The K is more american and when found here is more often just ear loops not full head straps, though that's easy to modifiy. The N95's are still in stock in most hardwares.

I cut up one of the 'non medical' KN95's from one of the builder providers to see what it was made up of. It's got all the layers I would want and all layers looked well made, I did not bother with a microscope. I also obviously left considerable amount of time between wearing it and cuting it open, but it's a good way not to waste a mask and also understand the quality of the material used inside the mask, then you can gauge for yourself if the brand meets your approval.

Always do a light test before putting on any mask made by induction welding(surgical masks,95/F2's). Sometimes their are holes where the weld occured, with machines running flat out, speeds and temperatures are high which can result in imperfection from time to time.

cut-up.png

Cheers. Just ordered some there actually from a safety supply shop. 10 for 60 euro! 🀦*♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Cheers. Just ordered some there actually from a safety supply shop. 10 for 60 euro! ��*♂️

Isn't that a little too expensive? It's 6 euro per mask!
    Over here (Italy) we pay 0.99 euro for a FFP2 in a pharmacy.

Advertisement