Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

The French said that we could wash and reuse the surgical masks (up to 10times) does anyone know if thats the same for FFP2 masks? I wash my facecoverings at more than 65 degrees. Austria has made FFP2 mandatory on public transport. I hope that doesnt happen here as it will have a signifcant cost for me as I'm a regular public transport user and I feel that open windows, social distancing and face coverings should be enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,301 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly today changed the regulations governing the wearing of face coverings to include banks, post offices and credit unions to the list of workplaces where it is compulsory.

https://www.thejournal.ie/face-coverings-mandatory-banks-post-offices-5335954-Jan2021/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Isn't that a little too expensive? It's 6 euro per mask!
    Over here (Italy) we pay 0.99 euro for a FFP2 in a pharmacy.

Ye, it's a complete rip off!

I have some high risk stuff coming up though and I needed them, so just bit the bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Ye, it's a complete rip off!

I have some high risk stuff coming up though and I needed them, so just bit the bullet.

I'm so sorry for you! :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The price in Austria collapsed when it went mandatory (I believe its regulated now). All the supermarkets are selling them at 57 cent a piece I hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

pottokblue wrote: »
    The French said that we could wash and reuse the surgical masks (up to 10times) does anyone know if thats the same for FFP2 masks? I wash my facecoverings at more than 65 degrees.

I have personally seen that it is possible to sanitize the surgical masks with a short bath in water and bleach. When you rinse them, the bad smell vanishes, and you have a nearly brand new mask.
    If it works for a surgical masks, it works for an FFP2 mask, which is visibly sturdier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

pottokblue wrote: »
    The French said that we could wash and reuse the surgical masks (up to 10times) does anyone know if thats the same for FFP2 masks? I wash my facecoverings at more than 65 degrees. Austria has made FFP2 mandatory on public transport. I hope that doesnt happen here as it will have a signifcant cost for me as I'm a regular public transport user and I feel that open windows, social distancing and face coverings should be enough...

I'd be very interested to see those instructions from the French.

Temperature with soap is only useful to get the soap lathery, the temperature part does not do the work. Soap breaks down the virus shell so the virus falls apart. Temperature decontamination without soap needs 70degrees for 40 mins.

Prime example, when you wash you hands with soap and water to kill the virus, the water does not need to be 60+ degrees.

Most comprehensive decontamination methods for various masks on web, does more than just n95.

https://www.n95decon.org/

Might be mistaken but I thought he was looking to source 3M FFP3's and if that's what was bought they are a far cry from a .99euro FFP2.

To keep the conversation in Ireland and not Italy, branded/generic FFP2's are selling anywhere from 14 euro to .99 euro right now. Average price is 5.99 per mask.

Disposable N95s, which have been in short supply during the pandemic, have been largely reserved for health care workers.

But N95s are now available at Costco, Amazon, Office Depot, and some manufacturers point out that demand for N95s from the general public will help even out the ebbs and flows of demand from hospitals, allowing them to maintain consistent production.

President Biden has requested Congress to appropriate $30 billion for personal protective equipment and signed the Defense Production Act to boost production of masks.

https://hbr.org/2021/01/a-3-step-strategy-to-support-the-new-u-s-mask-mandate

Opinion: Everyone should be wearing N95 masks now.

We are rightly grateful to the front-line health-care workers who put their lives on the line each day. Their relative risk of death rose 20 percent in 2020 over previous years.

We should also be grateful for the bakers and cooks, whose risk of death rose more than 50 percent. And for maids and truck drivers, who saw a 30 percent increase in death risk. And construction workers and shipping clerks, up more than 40 percent.

But there’s no reason any essential worker — and, really, everyone in the country — should go without masks that filter 95 percent.

A typical cloth mask might capture half of all respiratory aerosols that come out of our mouth when we talk, sing or just breathe. A tightly woven cloth mask might get you to 60 or 70 percent, and a blue surgical mask can get you to 70 or 80 percent.

I’m not alone in calling for better masks, and certainly not the first. But I am joining the chorus calling for them. This could be the key to slowing the pandemic and limiting spread from the new more highly transmissible variants until we all get vaccinated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/01/26/n95-masks-safest-next-best-options/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

An FFP2/3 mask can be very uncomfortable. Consider most muppets do everything they can to loosen a surgical mask by not moulding the bridge of the nose, leaving their nose out or adjusting it to be very loose because they ‘can’t breath’, there is zero point in recommending FFP2 for general use apart from depriving medical workers.

An FFP2/3 mask can be very uncomfortable. Consider most muppets do everything they can to loosen a surgical mask by not moulding the bridge of the nose, leaving their nose out or adjusting it to be very loose because they ‘can’t breath’, there is zero point in recommending FFP2 for general use apart from depriving medical workers.

Who in Ireland is recommending FFP2 for general use?

If anyone did see Cormican on PrimeTime last night and is considering discussing what he said regarding masks/hands/cleaning surfaces/Hospital infection... it might be kind to bear in mind that his mother passed away last week. I'm going to refrain for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

The price in Austria collapsed when it went mandatory (I believe its regulated now). All the supermarkets are selling them at 57 cent a piece I hear.

The government removed tax on them to bring the price down, and at the moment a lot of the supermarkets are handing them out for free at the entrance. They did the same during the first mask requirement back in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭sm3ar

Are Dunne's ok with not wearing masks, as in you won't get someone coming up to you the whole time asking you to wear it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭amandstu

Any views as to if ,when and where it would be useful to wear a face shield in conjunction with a surgical mask?

Listening to Hasseltine on CNN he said he often did this.

It doesn't feel too much of an imposition to me ,although I can see it might pose problems if worn for hours on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

amandstu wrote: »
    Any views as to if ,when and where it would be useful to wear a face shield in conjunction with a surgical mask?

It doesn't feel too much of an imposition to me ,although I can see it might pose problems if worn for hours on end.

You would need to wear a second surgical mask and an FFP2 mask along with an N95 mask just to be sure to be sure. Throw on a few pairs of goggles under the visor aswell just in case

Wear this in all settings from the moment you get up in the morning....

I feel sorry for our people that they have been driven to this state of worry and paronia to be even thinking like this.

Do yourself a favour and stop listening to the news. Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

You would need to wear a second surgical mask and an FFP2 mask along with an N95 mask just to be sure to be sure. Throw on a few pairs of goggles under the visor aswell just in case

Wear this in all settings from the moment you get up in the morning....

I feel sorry for our people that they have been driven to this state of worry and paronia to be even thinking like this.

Do yourself a favour and stop listening to the news. Take care.

You seem confused.

Mask reduces risk, hand washing further reduces, distancing further again.

Not one of these does you any harm but helps decrease the chances of infection.

Guess even the simplest thought process is too much for some.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

amandstu wrote: »

A face shield protects the eyes. You have to think as if everyone you meet has covid, so you can wear a mask and visor when doing the shopping.

You seem confused.

Mask reduces risk, hand washing further reduces, distancing further again.

Not one of these does you any harm but helps decrease the chances of infection.

Guess even the simplest thought process is too much for some.

No confusion. People just need to calm down and reassess things.

Some have lost their minds with all the fear and media driven drivel which has people thinking this virus is a death sentence should you contract it.

The treatment for the vast majority is no treatment just stay at home for 14 days incase you might spread the virus that you didn’t even know you had until a test tells you you’re not well....

The recovery rate is huge absolutely massive but that doesn’t get reported constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Some have lost their minds with all the fear and media driven drivel which has people thinking this virus is a death sentence should you contract it.

The treatment for the vast majority is no treatment just stay at home for 14 days incase you might spread the virus that you didn’t even know you had until a test tells you you’re not well....

The recovery rate is huge absolutely massive but that doesn’t get reported constantly.

Ah I see, back to usual bs..

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Ah I see, back to usual bs..

It’s actually pretty accurate really.

People need to calm down — Yes

Reassess the situation— Yes

Treatment for most is no treatment — Yes

Many asymptomatic case - Yes

High recovery rate -Again Yes

All I said is BS — Ah No

Doesn’t suit you’re opinion-Yes so call it bs if you like but it’s actually all true. You may need to focus on point number two before It’s too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

All I said is BS — Ah No

Doesn’t suit you’re opinion-Yes so call it bs if you like but it’s actually all true. You may need to focus on point number two before It’s too late.

I couldn't be more calm, but thank you.

If you check the history of your posts on this thread, you'll see that you keep posting same bs over and over. It was ok last march, people didn't know much yet, but now it's just a pure ignorance to be downplaying covid.

The poster asked about visors and masks and you go on about fear. That's not fear. I think you're the only person in fear. Afraid to look silly and you'd be made fun of by your mates. Poor you.

All I said is BS — Ah No

How are you still downplaying this? I think you left out the people dying part and people not recovering as well.

The poster asked about visors and masks and you go on about fear. That's not fear. I think you're the only person in fear. Afraid to look silly and you'd be made fun of by your mates. Poor you.

So you don’t think it displays a sense of fear to be asking about wearing a visor in conjunction with a surgical face mask

It’s clearly says the op doesn’t feel comfortable with one supposed method of protection.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    I couldn't be more calm, but thank you.

If you check the history of your posts on this thread, you'll see that you keep posting same bs over and over. It was ok last march, people didn't know much yet, but now it's just a pure ignorance to be downplaying covid.

All that was stated above was true and perhaps the ignorance now lies with actual overstating of covid

So you don’t think it displays a sense of fear to be asking about wearing a visor in conjunction with a surgical face mask

It’s clearly says the op doesn’t feel comfortable with one supposed method of protection.

That poster didn't display any fear, they just asked a question on when to wear a visor and mask. I'm all for protecting ourselves any way we can and that includes protecting the eyes. You're the only person going on about fear.

How are you still downplaying this? I think you left out the people dying part and people not recovering as well.

Sadly people died long before covid and will still be dying long after this is over. The problem now is nothing else matters only covid.

There is no actual figure worldwide of deaths directly From Covid. We all know there is very high associated covid deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,301 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Do you put a seatbelt on?
    Your car has brakes.
    Does that make you AFRAID?

Do you wash your hands and wear a mask?
    Does that make you AFRAID?

It's unclear the extent to which you can be infected through eyes.
    Healthcare workers wear visors and masks and gloves. Different threats, different precautions.
    A mask isn't going to protect you if you can be infected through your eyes.
    Simple as. No need to bring loaded words like AFRAID into it.

And, while you may be infected through eyes, there's no indications you can transmit it from your eyes.
    Unlike masks. Which is why you are mandated to wear one.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement