Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Glad to hear you're wearing a mask !

Yes and I haven’t left house except to go to the shop since April. Hope you’re ecstatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Parachutes wrote: »
    Yes and I haven’t left house except to go to the shop since April. Hope you’re ecstatic.

Lol man, I guess I know who is ecstatic here..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Well they’re pushing for two masks now, or is it three? I’ve lost count as this stage.

I heard that in several countries they would like to push for the FFP2 masks mandate, as they have done in Germany.
    Those masks are more expensive, though, and even more limiting in the breathing action.

I heard that in several countries they would like to push for the FFP2 masks mandate, as they have done in Germany.
    Those masks are more expensive, though, and even more limiting in the breathing action.

So you are afraid of suffocation? Maybe read up a bit about FFP2, it's been used in construction and other businesses as a standard PPE for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Stones never mentioned suffocation just "more limited in the breathing action". I have to wear FFP2 for prolonged periods and defintely prefer facecoverings/surgical masks from a comfortable breathing point of action. I would hate to end up suffering from "air hunger" and having to wear a cpap mask.....

• Advertisement

So you are afraid of suffocation? Maybe read up a bit about FFP2, it's been used in construction and other businesses as a standard PPE for a long time.

As a long covid patient, I suffer from a chronic congested nose, which makes breathing difficult even without a mask on my face.
    Having a thicker mask on my nose it surely gives me more problems than a thinner mask.
    So, no, I'm not afraid of suffocation, but I would hate to have additional difficulties.

As a long covid patient, I suffer from a chronic congested nose, which makes breathing difficult even without a mask on my face.
    Having a thicker mask on my nose it surely gives me more problems than a thinner mask.
    So, no, I'm not afraid of suffocation, but I would hate to have additional difficulties.

Ok, apologies, I was quick to judge. On the other note, I work in very dusty environment, congested nose is very familiar to me as well, yet FFP2 doesn't effect my breathing too much, that's my experience over the number of years.

Ok, apologies, I was quick to judge. On the other note, I work in very dusty environment, congested nose is very familiar to me as well, yet FFP2 doesn't effect my breathing too much, that's my experience over the number of years.

No need to apologise. I appreciate your input with your experience.
    I had to wear a FFP2 for a length of time on a couple of occasions, and I felt the difference.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The masks are used by governments as a political football at this point, a visual reminder there is a pandemic happening.

What exactly is it that you think governments are gaining from asking people to wear masks? Other than it enables people to carry out tasks such as shopping and travel to essential jobs on public transport so that the population doesn't die from starvation, what is it that governments are gaining from mask wearing that makes you think it all unnecessary and a fake pandemic?

If there is no pandemic then why are government shutting down their economy and telling people to not travel and to work from home?
    If there is a pandemic which requires lockdowns to limit the spread, and masks provide even a tiny bit of protection from further spread then what is the problem with government telling their people to wear masks to limit the spread? Even if masks do nothing what is the impact on your life from wearing a mask?

What possible reason would a government have for wanting their population to be permanently staying at home and not being economically active and wearing a mask whenever they leave their home for one of a couple of permitted activities?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

No need to apologise. I appreciate your input with your experience.
    I had to wear a FFP2 for a length of time on a couple of occasions, and I felt the difference.

I mean this seriously...

If wearing an ffp2 mask impacts you, you should go and get your lungs tested after this - I would think that is a worrying sign of something underlying.

I have worn full ffp3, and the rest of the range down for years in work for 8 and 10 hours straight. None of us ever noticed anything at all (I did triathlons through all this period but then some of the guys were heavy smokers and still no effect on them either).

Anyone who has trouble breathing through a mask should probably visit the doctor as i would imagine their could be an underlying weakness in your lungs.

Edit: I wanted to add that as part of my role we received twice yearly lung function tests by the local GP so we all knew our lungs were operating fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

pottokblue wrote: »
    Stones never mentioned suffocation just "more limited in the breathing action". I have to wear FFP2 for prolonged periods and defintely prefer facecoverings/surgical masks from a comfortable breathing point of action.

If your wearing a facecovering or surgical mask and not noticing any difference in your breathing restrictions, it's is highly likely you are wearing your mask to a droplet standard, it's a loose fit.

That means the air is by passing the filter(facecovering/surgical mask material) and pushing in and out via the sides of the mask or the area surrounding the nose bridge.

You want the smallest amount of restriction when wearing a mask, this is your indicator that your fit is sealed and your air is passing through your mask not around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Pure comedy central.
    A Week After Saying ‘Wear Two Masks’, Fauci Says It ‘Won’t Make A Difference’

Less than one week after advising Americans that wearing two or even three masks would be ‘more effective’ against the spread of coronavirus, Dr Fauci has done a complete 180 (again) and admitted that there is no data to suggest it will make any difference.
    After Fauci made the comments last week, the media began to push the idea that two masks wasn’t enough, and that people need to wear three, or even four masks.

However, during an interview at the weekend, Fauci completely contradicted his own comments from the previous week.
    Fauci on double masking:
    “There’s no data that indicates that that is going to make a difference”

It shouldn’t come as a surprise, given that Fauci has flip-flopped continuously on masks, having originally said that “there’s no reason to be walking around with a mask,” and that they are little more than symbolic.
    Later, Fauci fully embraced the masks and stated that they ‘need to stay on’ until everyone is vaccinated.
    It went from wearing a mask to now wearing two masks being the best way virtue signal.

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Pure comedy central.

Less than one week after advising Americans that wearing two or even three masks would be ‘more effective’ against the spread of coronavirus, Dr Fauci has done a complete 180 (again) and admitted that there is no data to suggest it will make any difference.
    After Fauci made the comments last week, the media began to push the idea that two masks wasn’t enough, and that people need to wear three, or even four masks.

However, during an interview at the weekend, Fauci completely contradicted his own comments from the previous week.
    Fauci on double masking:
    “There’s no data that indicates that that is going to make a difference”

It shouldn’t come as a surprise, given that Fauci has flip-flopped continuously on masks, having originally said that “there’s no reason to be walking around with a mask,” and that they are little more than symbolic.
    Later, Fauci fully embraced the masks and stated that they ‘need to stay on’ until everyone is vaccinated.
    It went from wearing a mask to now wearing two masks being the best way virtue signal.

You don't need a yank doctor to look up some facts on google.

3M have all the % particulate info you need - why 2 masks instead of just a better one .

Sure if it does you no harm but can help others stick a mask on.. Simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Quantum Baloney

Same. I am young but breath shallowly and have asthma. There is a massive difference for me. I would refuse point blank to wear one.

Same. I am young but breath shallowly and have asthma. There is a massive difference for me. I would refuse point blank to wear one.

Find it odd when I see these comments.

The brother has bad asthma, has for most of his life. And wearing these masks has allowed him do many things (have horses etc)

Not one issue.

To quote him, anyone claiming they can't wear one due to asthma is a either a liar or will be dead after covid, from covid.

Can't comment myself - worn makss for years in powder rooms in pharma for years with zero impact - twice yearly lung function tests and full medicals to back this up.

Guess you must be rightly wrecked from the asthma.

Pure comedy central.

Less than one week after advising Americans that wearing two or even three masks would be ‘more effective’

Your blowing the whole thing outa context.

Double masking was being advised as compensation for poor fit.

Let me guess you breath through your mouth most of the time.

BTW the mouth is designed for eating.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Pure comedy central.

Ah ffs, maybe don't take your info from the likes of that insufferable gobshíte, PJ Watson.

What Fauci said was "If you have a physical covering with one layer, you put another layer on, it just makes common sense that it likely would be more effective and that's the reason why you see people either double masking or doing a version of an N95"

What Fauci said later was "The CDC does not recommend that you should wear two masks, nor does the CDC recommend that you have to wear an N95 mask. They just say, 'The most important thing is to get everybody to wear a mask"

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-did-dr-anthony-fauci-advise-wearing-two-masks-then-reverse-course-1565961

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

saneman wrote: »
    Ah ffs, maybe don't take your info from the likes of that insufferable gobshíte, PJ Watson.

What Fauci said was "If you have a physical covering with one layer, you put another layer on, it just makes common sense that it likely would be more effective and that's the reason why you see people either double masking or doing a version of an N95"

What Fauci said later was "The CDC does not recommend that you should wear two masks, nor does the CDC recommend that you have to wear an N95 mask. They just say, 'The most important thing is to get everybody to wear a mask"

https://www.newsweek.com/fact-check-did-dr-anthony-fauci-advise-wearing-two-masks-then-reverse-course-1565961

Well, I do not care much what Fauci says as he switched sides way too often to be taken seriously anyway. For me it is easy. I wear it as loose as I can and in the shops or bus only. Most of the time I have to pull it under the nose, mainly when I see drivers or shop assistants doing the same.
    I can't wear one due to medical reasons but can't deal anymore with stares or remarks from self-appointed mask Stasi vigilantes.

As far as I know, if you develop symptoms you are required to have one, put yourself in isolation, contact GP and have yourself tested. That is what I will do.
    Since there are no data to confirm that non-symptomatic carriers spread disease - if you have no symptoms and are not in contact with someone who contracted covid - mask is useless.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Since there are no data to confirm that non-symptomatic carriers spread disease - if you have no symptoms and are not in contact with someone who contracted covid - mask is useless.

Like the way you had to create a situation just so that you could end your post with the line that a "mask is useless".

If you are isolating then of course a mask is of no use, if you fall out of a plane a mask is also useless as a parachute.

• Advertisement

I mean this seriously...

If wearing an ffp2 mask impacts you, you should go and get your lungs tested after this - I would think that is a worrying sign of something underlying.

I appreciate your concern.
    Actually, back in August, I was just curious to know if something was wrong with me. Apart from this difficult breathing even without a mask for part of the day (difficulty through my nose comes and goes during the day), I felt like I had a short breath, like my lungs had a reduced capacity so I rang a pneumologist and had the appointment on that very day (I was very lucky!). He checked my nose, up inside with his light, ausculted me for a long time and ran a spirometry test.
    Well, the auscultation was fine, the spirometry test gave a very good result, he found a slight deviation of the nasal septum, but wasn't able to understand the nasal congestion that gets me during the day and that makes my breathing difficult at times, even because during the visit I had no congestion, so he couldn't see anything.
    As for the short breath, he supposed it was something like auto-suggestion due to the worrying situation around us.

This nasal congestion may appear out of the blue any time of the day, but it is more likely after 4:30 pm, and every night around 7 pm. After this time I have a hard time breathing through my nose, so I have to breath through my mouth as well.
    This is the reason why I spray up my nose with Vicks Spray every night before turning in, and I've been doing this every night in the last 9 months.

Well, I do not care much what Fauci says as he switched sides way too often to be taken seriously anyway. For me it is easy. I wear it as loose as I can and in the shops or bus only. Most of the time I have to pull it under the nose, mainly when I see drivers or shop assistants doing the same.
    I can't wear one due to medical reasons but can't deal anymore with stares or remarks from self-appointed mask Stasi vigilantes.

As far as I know, if you develop symptoms you are required to have one, put yourself in isolation, contact GP and have yourself tested. That is what I will do.

Must be a miracle, have the stares and remarks cured you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Quantum Baloney

Find it odd when I see these comments [...]

Your attempts to cast aspersions or deny my lived experience is not very interesting to me. People will continue to make their own decisions around masks and you, no doubt, will continue to misapprehend many things about the pandemic based on received biases.
    To quote him, anyone claiming they can't wear one due to asthma is a either a liar or will be dead after covid, from covid

On reflection you will realise this isn't even cogent. More emotional than rational.
    Seanergy wrote: »
    Let me guess you breath through your mouth most of the time.
    BTW the mouth is designed for eating.

A less than subtle attempt to call me a "mouth breather"? Very poor.

How about this. You wear your mask, even double up on masks, wear three of them one on top of the other if that's what the influencers on Twitter advise, but leave those of us who have difficulty with some masks due to respiratory issues alone. Your opinion is an absolute irrelevance or possibly even harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

Well, I do not care much what Fauci says as he switched sides way too often to be taken seriously anyway. For me it is easy. I wear it as loose as I can and in the shops or bus only. Most of the time I have to pull it under the nose, mainly when I see drivers or shop assistants doing the same. (1)

I can't wear one due to medical reasons but can't deal anymore with stares or remarks from self-appointed mask Stasi vigilantes. (2)

Since there are no data to confirm that non-symptomatic carriers spread disease(3) - if you have no symptoms and are not in contact with someone who contracted covid - mask is useless.

1. Well done, that attitude will serve you well in life.

2. An acute affliction of hyperbole does not mean you can't wear a mask.

3. The rock you're living under must be huge, the science on this is in. Sorry it couldn't wait for your "reasoned" opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭lucalux

I appreciate your concern.
    Actually, back in August, I was just curious to know if something was wrong with me. Apart from this difficult breathing even without a mask for part of the day (difficulty through my nose comes and goes during the day), I felt like I had a short breath, like my lungs had a reduced capacity so I rang a pneumologist and had the appointment on that very day (I was very lucky!). He checked my nose, up inside with his light, ausculted me for a long time and ran a spirometry test.
    Well, the auscultation was fine, the spirometry test gave a very good result, he found a slight deviation of the nasal septum, but wasn't able to understand the nasal congestion that gets me during the day and that makes my breathing difficult at times, even because during the visit I had no congestion, so he couldn't see anything.
    As for the short breath, he supposed it was something like auto-suggestion due to the worrying situation around us.

This nasal congestion may appear out of the blue any time of the day, but it is more likely after 4:30 pm, and every night around 7 pm. After this time I have a hard time breathing through my nose, so I have to breath through my mouth as well.
    This is the reason why I spray up my nose with Vicks Spray every night before turning in, and I've been doing this every night in the last 9 months.

Have you gotten allergy testing done?

Dust mites are a massive trigger for my asthma/allergies. I have sinusitis my whole life from it really, a deviated septum doesn't help, find it so hard to breathe through my nose.

I ought not to have many soft furnishings, but when I live in places with carpets it's impossible to keep at bay.
    Carpets, mattresses, regular dust in general are all disastrous for it. Just thinking that you find it worse in the evenings/night time.
    I have to hoover the mattress, use mattress covers and pillow protectors, my pillows get tumble dried at high heat and replaced regularly.
    Just thought I'd say that in case it's been overlooked?

I have asthma and wearing a mask is not an issue for me so far, now I'm not wearing one for the whole day either so that would be tougher I admit.
    I only use cloth masks, always three layers, of cotton/silk/linen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

lucalux wrote: »
    Have you gotten allergy testing done?

Dust mites are a massive trigger for my asthma/allergies. I have sinusitis my whole life from it really, a deviated septum doesn't help, find it so hard to breathe through my nose.

I ought not to have many soft furnishings, but when I live in places with carpets it's impossible to keep at bay.
    Carpets, mattresses, regular dust in general are all disastrous for it. Just thinking that you find it worse in the evenings/night time.
    I have to hoover the mattress, use mattress covers and pillow protectors, my pillows get tumble dried at high heat and replaced regularly.
    Just thought I'd say that in case it's been overlooked?

I have asthma and wearing a mask is not an issue for me so far, now I'm not wearing one for the whole day either so that would be tougher I admit.
    I only use cloth masks, always three layers, of cotton/silk/linen.

Does the cleaning hoovering etc make any difference though?

I have severe asthma and I have visited most of the top respiratory physicians in the country. They were all in agreement that excessive hoovering and dusting etc makes very little difference in allergy based adult asthma. Their reasoning is that you will never be able to fully eradicate the dust mites and you will be exposed regardless.

Since there are no data to confirm that non-symptomatic carriers spread disease - if you have no symptoms and are not in contact with someone who contracted covid - mask is useless

Stasi vigilantes...oh god, another one

Utter rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭lucalux

Does the cleaning hoovering etc make any difference though?

I have severe asthma and I have visited most of the top respiratory physicians in the country. They were all in agreement that excessive hoovering and dusting etc makes very little difference in allergy based adult asthma. Their reasoning is that you will never be able to fully eradicate the dust mites and you will be exposed regardless.

The only thing that makes a real difference for me is getting rid of carpets and soft furnishings to the best of my ability.

I'd respectfully disagree with the physicians you met. I was 7 we ripped out all the carpets in our house on a consultant's advice. Every single consultant ENT I've met has agreed with me when I've mentioned it to them, recommending renting houses with no carpets, and not keeping many soft furnishings in the bedroom. They've made sure I was using mattress protectors etc, and replacing pillows.

Hoovering definitely helps, as you're removing dead skin flakes (gross I know sorry) and the amount of that that the mites have to feed on.
    It's an endless battle though, we all shed skin flakes, we all have mites.

The main thing for me is keeping on top of hoovering mattress, carpets in bedroom especially, cleaning/replacing pillows, and bed base/bedside lockers, plus ventilating rooms etc.
    If you do nothing, then you're not even attempting.

I don't think there's much sense in saying "because you'd never get rid of all of it, that you shouldn't try", it has made me aware you can lessen the effects, that's if it is a known irritant for you, mind.

If you see the shafts of sunlight in a room where the motes are floating, imagine getting into a bed where the sheets haven't been changed in a few days, where maybe you haven't hoovered/steamed the mattress in weeks, or you're not using a mattress protector that's also laundered frequently - then yes that would make a huge difference for me.

You'll know it's the allergy to the dust mites 'droppings' that cause most of the irritation, not the mites themselves, or the dust (though that is an irritant too).

To be honest though, so many products are heavily perfumed, we use strong cleaning products, biological enzymes to wash clothes in, perfumes, shower gels, even new sofas off-gas chemicals when you bring them home, and those are all very hard to pinpoint as irritants for us. So I do what I can about the ones I know about.

robinph wrote: »
    Like the way you had to create a situation just so that you could end your post with the line that a "mask is useless".

If you are isolating then of course a mask is of no use, if you fall out of a plane a mask is also useless as a parachute.

Well he said he does prefer loose fit, so maybe his mask would work as a parachute..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

.........the prelude to a masterpiece ;)

Advertisement