Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

How about this. You wear your mask, even double up on masks, wear three of them one on top of the other if that's what the influencers on Twitter advise, but leave those of us who have difficulty with some masks due to respiratory issues alone. Your opinion is an absolute irrelevance or possibly even harmful.

No it was not, don't push down on me.

Zero influencers on boards.ie then? What's your beef with twitter?

https://twitter.com/linseymarr/status/1356344722617466882

BTW, breathing through your mouth is harmful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

lucalux wrote: »
    The only thing that makes a real difference for me is getting rid of carpets and soft furnishings to the best of my ability.

I'd respectfully disagree with the physicians you met. I was 7 when my mother ripped out all the carpets in our house on a consultant's advice. Every single consultant ENT I've met has agreed with me when I've mentioned it to them, recommending renting houses with no carpets, and not keeping many soft furnishings in the bedroom. They've made sure I was using mattress protectors etc, and replacing pillows.

Hoovering definitely helps, as you're removing dead skin flakes (gross I know sorry) and the amount of that that the mites have to feed on.
    It's an endless battle though, we all shed skin flakes, we all have mites.

The main thing for me is keeping on top of hoovering mattress, carpets in bedroom especially, cleaning/replacing pillows, and bed base/bedside lockers, plus ventilating rooms etc.
    If you do nothing, then you're not even attempting.

I don't think there's much sense in saying "because you'd never get rid of all of it, that you shouldn't try", it has made me aware you can lessen the effects, that's if it is a known irritant for you, mind.

If you see the shafts of sunlight in a room where the motes are floating, imagine getting into a bed where the sheets haven't been changed in a few days, where maybe you haven't hoovered/steamed the mattress in weeks, or you're not using a mattress protector that's also laundered frequently - then yes that would make a huge difference for me.

You'll know it's the allergy to the dust mites 'droppings' that cause most of the irritation, not the mites themselves, or the dust (though that is an irritant too).

To be honest though, so many products are heavily perfumed, we use strong cleaning products, biological enzymes to wash clothes in, perfumes, shower gels, even new sofas off-gas chemicals when you bring them home, and those are all very hard to pinpoint as irritants for us. So I do what I can about the ones I know about.

I was quite surprised as well. My thinking was the less dust to irritate the better.

Asthma is such a strange condition. There is still a long way to go in understanding it ,and it can vary so much between each individual.

Reducing a dusty envroment might have a profound effect on one allergy based asthmatic and next to nothing on another.

Glad to hear it helps you anyway.

On a side note I predict big advancements in asthma treatment in the next few years. There is already some exciting new non steroids in the works, and the emergence of RNA technology could be groundbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭lucalux

I was quite surprised as well. My thinking was the less dust to irritate the better.

Asthma is such a strange condition. There is still a long way to go in understanding it ,and it can vary so much between each individual.

Reducing a dusty envroment might have a profound effect on one allergy based asthmatic and next to nothing on another.

Glad to hear it helps you anyway.

On a side note I predict big advancements in asthma treatment in the next few years. There is already some exciting new non steroids in the works, and the emergence of RNA technology could be groundbreaking.

One thing I'll say is that because consultant ENTs or pulmunologists are dealing with bigger things as a general rule, they can sometimes dismiss what they see as small actions in the grand scheme of things.
    They see a lot of worried people in their day to day consults, and a lot of the time they will say not to worry too much about these things, because they perhaps think people are going to stress themselves out more.

I don't keep abreast of the new developments, but sounds good, something I might look into, non-steroidal relief would be great. They're crazy meds!
    Hopefully it will improve in terms of treatment, absolutely, especially since masks might be a part of life from now on, for some time at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

How many people are dying each day WITH the covid vaccines ?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Scoondal wrote: »

Mod

You have been threadbanned already tonight for this kind of posting.

Any more like that here & you will have another one for the collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Scoondal wrote: »

And, another query, what price are the vaccines. Does each one that comes from different pharma companies, Moderna, Glaxo, Astra, Pfizer, Oxford, differ? and have a different price?

Are different firms' vaccines being bought by HSE to vaccinate different categories of persons? Maybe the cheapest vaccine for Medical Card holders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Malcomex

Maybe the cheapest vaccine for Medical Card holders?

Nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

And, another query, what price are the vaccines. Does each one that comes from different pharma companies, Moderna, Glaxo, Astra, Pfizer, Oxford, differ? and have a different price?

Are different firms' vaccines being bought by HSE to vaccinate different categories of persons? Maybe the cheapest vaccine for Medical Card holders?

Is there any charge for yourself, or it's gonna come for free?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Is this the vaccine thread? Get back on topic.

NovemberWren cop on or you'll be threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Seanergy wrote: »
    Must be a miracle, have the stares and remarks cured you?

If you employ a bit of reading comprehension you will find out that wearing it as loose as I can and under the nose make it bearable for short while I have to bother to put one on. There is no cure for any of my diseases.
    Since you most likely do not have a medicinal background or education it makes no sense to discuss this with you.

• Advertisement

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Most of the time I have to pull it under the nose, mainly when I see drivers or shop assistants doing the same.

I can't wear one due to medical reasons but can't deal anymore with stares or remarks from self-appointed mask Stasi vigilantes.

- mask is useless.

Why do you have to pull it down under your nose when you see other people in authority? doing it? How is that a medical reason? Is that even a disease?
    patnor1011 wrote: »
    There is no cure for any of my diseases.
    Since you most likely do not have a medicinal background or education it makes no sense to discuss this with you.

Presumption is the downfall of many, I am not looking to cure you.

I can't recall Clear Fáilte Mask getting promoted on thread, so here they are, if anyone is looking for an Irish clear mask option.

https://clearfailtemask.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

lucalux wrote: »
    Have you gotten allergy testing done?

Dust mites are a massive trigger for my asthma/allergies. I have sinusitis my whole life from it really, a deviated septum doesn't help, find it so hard to breathe through my nose.

No, I haven't. I never suffered from any allergy so far, I don't think I'm allergic to something.
    Even because this congested nose happens to me regardless the season (I've been like this since May, I think), so it's not pollen, flowers, plants, etc. Regardless the place where I am, outdoors, indoors, at home, at work, what I wear, whether I have eaten or not, and regardless what I eat or drink.

I ought not to have many soft furnishings, but when I live in places with carpets it's impossible to keep at bay.
    Carpets, mattresses, regular dust in general are all disastrous for it. Just thinking that you find it worse in the evenings/night time.
    I have to hoover the mattress, use mattress covers and pillow protectors, my pillows get tumble dried at high heat and replaced regularly.
    Just thought I'd say that in case it's been overlooked?

I have asthma and wearing a mask is not an issue for me so far, now I'm not wearing one for the whole day either so that would be tougher I admit.
    I only use cloth masks, always three layers, of cotton/silk/linen.

I feel sorry for you, it must be stressful. In my case i think I can safely rule dust out, because I have rather sudden breathing issues no matter where I am, even in fabric and dust free environments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Heard on a UK radio channel that the UK might follow other countries with better protection masks.

The sad thing is, I made a joke a few weeks ago that we'll watch every other country bring in those masks while we still go on last year's advice. Now it's almost true.

Heard on a UK radio channel that the UK might follow other countries with better protection masks.

The sad thing is, I made a joke a few weeks ago that we'll watch every other country bring in those masks while we still go on last year's advice. Now it's almost true.

As long as better protection masks have the same price as the surgical ones, there shouldn't be any problem.
    Right now, though, the FFP2 ones, that I think you're talking about, are up to 7 times more expensive than the surgical masks.
    People may compensate for this higher price by using them 7 times a longer time, frustrating the intention to give people a better protection.

As long as better protection masks have the same price as the surgical ones, there shouldn't be any problem.
    Right now, though, the FFP2 ones, that I think you're talking about, are up to 7 times more expensive than the surgical masks.
    People may compensate for this higher price by using them 7 times a longer time, frustrating the intention to give people a better protection.

I think they can be used for 8 hours. So short trips into the shop, I don't see why they can't be re-used so long it's disinfected after use or before the next use. I just store mine in a plastic bag and write the date on it and re-use it after a week or two of storage.

Actually, does anyone use a UV steriliser box, would they be any good for disinfecting masks?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I know in Austria when they mandated fpp2 masks the price fell.

I'm not sure why exactly. They did remove taxes on it and the supermarkets started to sell them too so that probably contributed.

If you mandate you must make it affordable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I'm not sure why exactly. They did remove taxes on it and the supermarkets started to sell them too so that probably contributed.

And crucially ensure there is an adequate supply of them. No point mandating fpp2 masks if they cant be got for love nor money

Except we live in Ireland, so they won't make it affordable.

Doubt we gonna end up here with government recommending, or even mandating ffp2 use by public, took ages to even move in with face coverings. And not too sure how many ffp2 masks per month Ireland can produce. Is Irema only company here?

• Advertisement

ShyMets wrote: »
    And crucially ensure there is an adequate supply of them. No point mandating fpp2 masks if they cant be got for love nor money

Exactly. The requirements for making something mandatory are that there is an adequate supply at a very affordable price.

Exactly. The requirements for making something mandatory are that there is an adequate supply at a very affordable price.

I believe affordable price can be done no problem. Problem is the supply imo. Not too familiar with ffp2 production we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

I don't see any great benefit in mandating FFP2 masks, they're certainly not designed to be sanitised/washed/disinfected (at least not with any process readily available to the public). Washing or disinfecting an FFP2 is likely to negate the electrostatic charge then enhances the filtering capacity of this type of mask, at which point you're only getting the benefit of a fabric mask anyway. And that's provided no damage has been done to the structure of the mask.

We'd be much better off if good quality 2-3 ply reusable, washable masks were recommended, or at the very least that a specification was selected that was a minimum standard for any masks on the market, and get rid of some of the shíte that's been peddled out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,301 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ninety-four people have been fined for not wearing masks, with more than 70 of those in shops and supermarkets.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0205/1195336-garda-restrictions-fines/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Video posted in the vitamin D insufficiency thread of politicians discussing vitamin D.

They're spaced out and some of them wearing face masks/coverings.

Is this spacing out between themselves not a reason to mandate masks like everywhere?

Passed a restaurant that was open for take away and had one worker in the kitchen and a few metres away was another person at the counter, both of them not wearing masks.

Like, I thought social distancing is the gold standard advice here? So why were they, the politicians wearing masks but still going on about distancing for the rest of us and getting away with it?

It's about time they mandate masks everywhere in every public building. I'm sick of seeing this distancing shyte and people thinking they're safe.

Also they should ban those stupid visors. If it's not good enough for our politicians, why are they good for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,887 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

. I just store mine in a plastic bag and write the date on it and re-use it after a week or two of storage.

And what does that do for the bacteria that masks fill up with?

And what does that do for the bacteria that masks fill up with?

Does this one sums it up for you?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thegermanyeye.com/content/amp/reuse-of-ffp2-masks-for-private-use-3918.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

xhomelezz wrote: »

Sums it up to a T.....yer average Teutonic mask-wearer may well follow the diktat religiously,but most of us in Ireland won't read much further than paragraph 2.

Looks like the 'Merican lust for multiple masks will soon wash up on our shores so if we can add to that it will be beneficial....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHIVChTyFLxwTGIEBee8qqEckfy2XxttAesA&usqp=CAU

Perhaps there's an opening for the return of the Nosegay ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Sums it up to a T.....yer average Teutonic mask-wearer may well follow the diktat religiously,but most of us in Ireland won't read much further than paragraph 2.

Looks like the 'Merican lust for multiple masks will soon wash up on our shores so if we can add to that it will be beneficial....

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHIVChTyFLxwTGIEBee8qqEckfy2XxttAesA&usqp=CAU

Perhaps there's an opening for the return of the Nosegay ?

Not gonna be smart, but if you won't read, you won't learn anything..

Advertisement