Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

I suggest one possible explanation - masks dont make a difference and the people in healthcare know it?

No, people in health care know to follow HSE guidance/advice or they get the bump.

Current guidance/advice reads as:

Disposable surgical face masks are recommended for healthcare workers when delivering care within 2m of a patient OR when within 2m of a colleague for more than 15 minutes OR when in parts of the building where they are likely to encounter members of the public.

Masks are not required when physical distancing can be maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Does anybody wear masks at home when cooking for others in kitchen???
    I dont but I keep kitchen door/window open while cooking and wash hands several times during mealmaking> If/when I catch C19 I wont be doing any cooking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

So it's a legal requirement to give employees manual handling and fire safety courses.

Is it about time we include mask wearing in safety courses in workplaces? Had a delightful experience today of being served at a till in Aldi with an employee wearing their mask under their nose. It was the only open till, otherwise I wouldn't have went there.

Manager had to come over to unlock the card machine so I said it to him, can they get their employees to cover their noses and the manager made excuses. The employee was behind their screen so was safe. Unless he was in one of those new bubbles that the flaming lips had at their concert, he or the customers he was serving was not safe. And the gap for passing through money was the perfect height for kids to poke their heads through, which I'm sure they do because people and kids have been pretty stupid throughout all this. So it's perfectly ok to infect kids poking their heads through the gaps as well.

God, I read that this virus is here to stay and with it mutating and needing tweaks to the vaccines for new strains... Is it about time we get serious and educate people on masks because people just don't get it a year into this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Miike wrote: »
    Just want to tack on here (based on the CDC's recommendations)

Something I've been doing for some time if I'm using surgical masks only. Really improves the fit and feel of the mask. Their own research as linked in the quoted comment suggests a large improvement in source control.

I tried this. Ingenious. Fits nice and snug on face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

So it's a legal requirement to give employees manual handling and fire safety courses.

Is it about time we include mask wearing in safety courses in workplaces? Had a delightful experience today of being served at a till in Aldi with an employee wearing their mask under their nose. It was the only open till, otherwise I wouldn't have went there.

Manager had to come over to unlock the card machine so I said it to him, can they get their employees to cover their noses and the manager made excuses. The employee was behind their screen so was safe. Unless he was in one of those new bubbles that the flaming lips had at their concert, he or the customers he was serving was not safe. And the gap for passing through money was the perfect height for kids to poke their heads through, which I'm sure they do because people and kids have been pretty stupid throughout all this. So it's perfectly ok to infect kids poking their heads through the gaps as well.

God, I read that this virus is here to stay and with it mutating and needing tweaks to the vaccines for new strains... Is it about time we get serious and educate people on masks because people just don't get it a year into this mess.

Kids being kids are constantly poking their heads through the screens. They think it's a big joke. You would think the parents would stop them but I only see about half the parents intervening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Beezasp

I went to the post office today and was standing in the queue when a person entered without a face covering. They were stopped by the door man and told they need to wear a face covering, the person then argued they didnt have one.

This led to about a minute of arguing and the person gaining entry insisting they were getting money and just didnt have the money on them to pay for one and just went in anyways with the door man doing nothing.

Funny enough the door man didnt have his mask on properly either, it was only over his mouth with his nose exposed through the entire thing :pac:

I know www.gov.ie says they are mandatory but I dont see that being the same thing as saying it is illegal to enter a premises without one.

I cant say its the first time Ive seen this type of thing happening. If situations like this came with heavy penalties for both offender and the business and businesses had to limit to a certain number of people based on space I dont see why retail could not be opened again and the public could not get alittle bit of slack. I dont personally see what makes essential retail so different in this respect, as long as they are managed properly they should be a safe enough environment for them to operate.

Other countries have their lockdowns and keep their businesses open with strict rules and it seems to work just fine.

I'll be making a complaint to an post in any case but it would be nice if someone could confirm the legalities of face coverings if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,580 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

You dont have to wear a mask in a bank or a post office.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PoolBall

Wrong

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/face-coverings-masks-and-covid-19/when-to-wear.html

From the HSE website:

By law, you have to wear a face covering:

on public transport
    in shops, shopping centres and some other indoor settings
    in banks, posts offices and credit unions

Sorry, they must have changed that then. Hard to keep up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 PoolBall

Sorry, they must have changed that then. Hard to keep up.

indeed, the amount of changes and inconsistencies is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Yes you do actually.

Beezasp wrote: »
    I went to the post office today and was standing in the queue when a person entered without a face covering. They were stopped by the door man and told they need to wear a face covering, the person then argued they didnt have one.

This led to about a minute of arguing and the person gaining entry insisting they were getting money and just didnt have the money on them to pay for one and just went in anyways with the door man doing nothing.

Funny enough the door man didnt have his mask on properly either, it was only over his mouth with his nose exposed through the entire thing :pac:

I know www.gov.ie says they are mandatory but I dont see that being the same thing as saying it is illegal to enter a premises without one.

I cant say its the first time Ive seen this type of thing happening. If situations like this came with heavy penalties for both offender and the business and businesses had to limit to a certain number of people based on space I dont see why retail could not be opened again and the public could not get alittle bit of slack. I dont personally see what makes essential retail so different in this respect, as long as they are managed properly they should be a safe enough environment for them to operate.

Other countries have their lockdowns and keep their businesses open with strict rules and it seems to work just fine.

I'll be making a complaint to an post in any case but it would be nice if someone could confirm the legalities of face coverings if any.

Well documented in thread (part1) that Varadkar needed to be firm from the start when he introduced masks for the public. Instead he gave people choice, this has escalated into what we have today.

Only 2.2% of fines from Dec-Feb10th were for masks, it's not an area that is being enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Rather unsurprisingly,the previous exemption in S.I. 296 of 2020 has been amended by S.I. 21 of 2021 since January 26th to bring these under the same regulation as other premises.

Equally interesting is the definition of a 'Responsible Person' who is empowered to do the mask stuff with customers....
    (a) the occupier of the relevant premises,
    (b) the manager of the relevant premises, and
    (c) any other person for the time being in charge of the relevant
    premises;

This means the "Security Man" has little or no role to play in any of this,except maybe to act as muscle for the Responsible Person,as they lambast the naked faced customer.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Beezasp wrote: »
    AlekSmart wrote: »
    Equally interesting is the definition of a 'Responsible Person' who is empowered to do the mask stuff with customers....

This means the "Security Man" has little or no role to play in any of this,except maybe to act as muscle for the Responsible Person,as they lambast the naked faced customer.

If you are making that complaint, read linked article.

Depends on how much An Post cares about the safety of its staff and customers. Any An Post, if they chose to, decide to make it a condition of entry that a customer wears a mask to enter the store. They could then task security to enforce this condition. This is the same with any of the health guidelines and/or regulations.

https://securityoperative.ie/enforcing-mask-wearing-regulations/

Seanergy wrote: »
    Well documented in thread (part1) that Varadkar needed to be firm from the start when he introduced masks for the public. Instead he gave people choice, this has escalated into what we have today.

Only 2.2% of fines from Dec-Feb10th were for masks, it's not an area that is being enforced.

Could also be the case that people are just wearing them.

Could also be the case that people are just wearing them.

Nope, it's too long winded, it's an unattractive process to get involved in from Security perspective or from AGS with far too many opt out opps for antimaskers, due to a mix of weak legislation and soft approach by AGS.

The 4E's approach, Engage, Explain, Encourage, Enforce, should have been, 1E, Enforce. At the moment, enforcement is a last resort.

Certain premises: The offence here is failing to wear a face covering in certain premises. A responsible person (e.g. shop owner/ manager) must take all reasonable steps to bring the individual into compliance. The responsible person cannot make a lawful requirement like the bus driver can. This person can only advise. Therefore, if Gardaí are called to assist, and will identify the responsible person and establish what action they have taken to bring the person into compliance.

Once this is established, Garda members can engage with the individual. An opportunity to come into compliance should be given. If this fails, Gardaí can give a direction to the individual under Section 31A(7) to come into compliance. If they continue to fail to comply, Gardaí may consider that the offence has been committed and demand the individual's name and address under Section 31A(9).

Be that as it may but in my town I havent seen someone in a shop without a mask since last summer. I dont think enforcement happening or not happening is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I wear a balaclava and a mask on the outside

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    I wear a balaclava and a mask on the outside

That's the wrong way to wear that combination, mask should always be against the skin, inside balaclava.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Has anyone ever painted a face mask onto their face for the giggles to see if anyone noticed. :):D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Has anyone ever painted a face mask onto their face for the giggles to see if anyone noticed. :):D

No, but I have seen a video where a man had a face masks with the print of his own nose and mouth and it seemed like he wasn't wearing a mask and was told off inside a building and he proved that he HAD the mask on :D

No, but I have seen a video where a man had a face masks with the print of his own nose and mouth and it seemed like he wasn't wearing a mask and was told off inside a building and he proved that he HAD the mask on :D

Share the video here and then we can rate it from 0-10 on the giggles chart.

This rates 10 on my giggles chart. Currently on crowd funding platforms.

Another excellent hack for surgical masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Share the video here and then we can rate it from 0-10 on the giggles chart.

I had received the video via WhatsApp, I looked for it on the web, I hope the link works

https://twitter.com/i/status/1358184106895491075

Thanks,

It's a good print, but that's about it, a zero from me, on the giggles chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Saw an old man come out of a shop ahead of me the other day in Dundalk, he did the usual thing lots of strange people do and backed away from me like I had ebola. But I noticed that he was wearing a mask, plus SWIMMING goggles with a pair of protective glasses over the goggles?!! Some people are going to need serious therapy when this is over.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Saw an old man come out of a shop ahead of me the other day in Dundalk, he did the usual thing lots of strange people do and backed away from me like I had ebola. But I noticed that he was wearing a mask, plus SWIMMING goggles with a pair of protective glasses over the goggles?!! Some people are going to need serious therapy when this is over.

Some people needed serious therapy before this started. Proud of yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Some people needed serious therapy before this started. Proud of yourself?

It's called an observation.

Bit of therapy wouldn't go amiss for yourself chief, anger management maybe.

Advertisement