Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

pconn062 wrote: »
    Saw an old man come out of a shop ahead of me the other day in Dundalk, he did the usual thing lots of strange people do and backed away from me like I had ebola. But I noticed that he was wearing a mask, plus SWIMMING goggles with a pair of protective glasses over the goggles?!! Some people are going to need serious therapy when this is over.

Oh dear god!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

It's called an observation.

Bit of therapy wouldn't go amiss for yourself chief, anger management maybe.

Don't call me chief or suggest I get therapy. I asked you a question,are you proud of yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

gansi wrote: »
    Oh dear god!!!

Yeah, I'm actually not sure how well he could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,494 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Saw an old man come out of a shop ahead of me the other day in Dundalk, he did the usual thing lots of strange people do and backed away from me like I had ebola. But I noticed that he was wearing a mask, plus SWIMMING goggles with a pair of protective glasses over the goggles?!! Some people are going to need serious therapy when this is over.

If its usual for people to back away from you are you sure THEY are the strange ones?

Probably not too well at all.

• Advertisement

He could see well enough through his swimming googles and protective galsses that he backed away from you like you said.

An old man who was doing some food shopping.

Are you proud of yourself?

gansi wrote: »
    The old man backed away probably because he is terrified of catching covid and the level of fear he has of catching it is illustrated by the glasses he was wearing.

I think the point being made is that people have become terrified of each other, and of disease to a point that is not good for mental health.

Your spoofing. You know nothing, the old does not have to be fearful, you have zero knowlege of how the old man felt.

You have a belief in your head, one that I have seen on thread many times, that people masked up with googles and maybe without googles are terrified, full of fear. The truth is, you made up that belief in your head, you are projecting that around the place onto people.

Some people wear a mask beacuse they live with an elder or a vulnerable person and out of compassion they are taking actions so that they do not catch and transmit this virus onto their loved ones.

Who's messing who who's mental health by not wearing a mask in the shop?

ARTICLE: New Standards Will Help You Choose an Effective COVID-19 Face Mask LINK

For almost a year, many Americans have been wearing cloth face coverings to limit the spread of the coronavirus—but without clear guidelines on which types or brands of consumer masks are best. That changed this week with the publication of the first-ever standard for “barrier face coverings,” created through ASTM International, an organization that creates voluntary performance standards for thousands of consumer products.

It’s unclear when ASTM-certified face masks will be available for sale, but manufacturers can start taking advantage of the standard immediately.

The new standard, which applies to face coverings worn by the general public and workers outside of healthcare settings, will provide guidelines for how well masks should filter out airborne particles, as well as for their breathability, fit, and labeling. The standard will also provide guidance on cleaning and how long masks can be used.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Why do you think people are strange for backing away? Where have you been the past year? It's called social distancing.

And why does it bother you how someone protects themselves. The reason he seems OTT is because someone else chooses not to wear a mask. Don't see anything wrong with what he's doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

New Study Finds COVID Masks Harm Children’s Physical & Mental Health.

link to the study:
    https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-124394/v2

A new study, involving over 25,000 school-aged children, shows that masks are harming schoolchildren physically, psychologically, and behaviorally, revealing 24 distinct health issues associated with wearing masks.

The health issues and impairments observed in this study were found to affect 68% of masked children who are forced to wear a face covering for an average of 4.5 hours per day. The study also includes 17,854 health complaints submitted by parents.

Some of the health issues found in the study include: increased headaches (53%), difficulty concentrating (50%), drowsiness or fatigue (37%), malaise (42%), and nearly a third of children experience more sleep issues than they had previously and a quarter of children developed new fears.

Though these results are concerning, the study also found that 29.7% of children experienced shortness of breath, 26.4% experienced dizziness, and hundreds of the participants experiencing accelerated respiration, tightness in chest, weakness, and short-term impairment of consciousness.

The study authors noted the lack of unbiased research on this topic:

“There are no manufacturer-independent studies on the use of masks for children and adolescents that are certified as medical products for occupational safety in professional applications. In addition, due to the unknown materials used, there are no findings on the potential protective effects or side effects of the often home-made ‘everyday masks’ worn by the majority of children. In view of the ongoing measures to contain the COVID-19 pandemic, and in particular the varying obligations for children and adolescents to wear masks in school over a longer period of time, there is an urgent need for research.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

patnor1011 wrote: »

link to the study:

A new study, involving over 25,000 school-aged children, shows that masks are harming schoolchildren physically, psychologically, and behaviorally, revealing 24 distinct health issues associated with wearing masks.

The health issues and impairments observed in this study were found to affect 68% of masked children who are forced to wear a face covering for an average of 4.5 hours per day. The study also includes 17,854 health complaints submitted by parents.

Some of the health issues found in the study include: increased headaches (53%), difficulty concentrating (50%), drowsiness or fatigue (37%), malaise (42%), and nearly a third of children experience more sleep issues than they had previously and a quarter of children developed new fears.

Though these results are concerning, the study also found that 29.7% of children experienced shortness of breath, 26.4% experienced dizziness, and hundreds of the participants experiencing accelerated respiration, tightness in chest, weakness, and short-term impairment of consciousness.

The study authors noted the lack of unbiased research on this topic:

“There are no manufacturer-independent studies on the use of masks for children and adolescents that are certified as medical products for occupational safety in professional applications. In addition, due to the unknown materials used, there are no findings on the potential protective effects or side effects of the often home-made ‘everyday masks’ worn by the majority of children. In view of the ongoing measures to contain the COVID-19 pandemic, and in particular the varying obligations for children and adolescents to wear masks in school over a longer period of time, there is an urgent need for research.”

I'm very wary of low quality research that publishes only part of their data set but still references the unpublished data. I've searched high and low to find the other data which they say is supplementary but no accessible anywhere. I've requested these data via RG - If any of the authors reply I'll update. Even the 2nd revision of this research is shockingly low quality.

It's worth noting the data collection and sampling methods here are highly influential on the results but I reserve slating the article until I've seen the complete data set.

Since I doubt most people here will bother opening the article and reading it I want to just highlight this direct quote from the limitations of the study:
    A reporting bias (also with regard to the preferential documentation of particularly severely affected children) cannot be ruled out. In addition, the link to the registry was also found in social media forums, among other places, which criticize the government's corona protection measures in principle, which is partly reflected in the results of the query on attitudes to the government's corona protection measures. At the same time, other participants reported that their children had no complaints. Furthermore, there is no control group. The data relate to suspected cases of adverse reactions, i.e. medical events observed by parents in the context of mask use in children, but not necessarily related to or caused by the mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

patnor1011 wrote: »

link to the study:

Well, though I'm not child anymore, I can clearly say that I feel much different when I wear a mask and when I don't wear it.
    When I wear a mask, I feel more tired, I get a sore throat and eyes, I also have a lack of appetite. Because I have to wear this mask at work, I am visibly slower at working, sometimes I could even say I'm lazy, and need to have a break often.
    When I'm home for the whole day, I feel much better.

In my country, Italy, it is mandatory to wear a mask whenever we are out of home, even for a walk in the countryside, so, to feel better, I rarely get out of home, say less than once a month. And of course, I don't go shopping.

It's obvious that to many people a mask is a real problem. Others are quite happy with a mask on their face, to the point that I know people who wear it even inside their home. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Yeah sounds like another made up story alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

I'll probably keep up the good habits even when things get back to normal. Wearing a mask in crowded places and washing hands with soap often is no great inconvenience to avoid catching a cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Are people still crying about the hardship of wearing a mask for the brief time they are out in public? Such a soft generation oh poor me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Well, though I'm not child anymore, I can clearly say that I feel much different when I wear a mask and when I don't wear it.
    When I wear a mask, I feel more tired, I get a sore throat and eyes, I also have a lack of appetite. Because I have to wear this mask at work, I am visibly slower at working, sometimes I could even say I'm lazy, and need to have a break often.
    When I'm home for the whole day, I feel much better.

In my country, Italy, it is mandatory to wear a mask whenever we are out of home, even for a walk in the countryside, so, to feel better, I rarely get out of home, say less than once a month. And of course, I don't go shopping.

It's obvious that to many people a mask is a real problem. Others are quite happy with a mask on their face, to the point that I know people who wear it even inside their home. Seriously.

The virus doesn't care whether it's a home or what - it just loves enclosed spaces and hanging around in an aerosol cloud with people adding to the viral concentration by sneezing, coughing, shouting even talking. And then more transmission by sharing food, plates and utensils. It's doubtful if the 2 metre social distancing even applies to enclosed spaces, apart from the impracticality of it.

So seriously yes, it's worth thinking about again. The home is just another enclosed space, like a train, bus, car, office, shop - you name it.

Miike wrote: »
    I'm very wary of low quality research that publishes only part of their data set but still references the unpublished data. I've searched high and low to find the other data which they say is supplementary but no accessible anywhere. I've requested these data via RG - If any of the authors reply I'll update. Even the 2nd revision of this research is shockingly low quality.

It's worth noting the data collection and sampling methods here are highly influential on the results but I reserve slating the article until I've seen the complete data set.

Since I doubt most people here will bother opening the article and reading it I want to just highlight this direct quote from the limitations of the study:

I glanced at the paper and the survey questions/online registry.

Only 27.1% of 20,353 people left a name and/or e-mail address when filling out the online survey questions, as it was optional.

Who were these 363 doctors who were asked to make entries and to make parents and teachers aware of the registry, why/how were they selected?

Look forward to your slating.
    The optional possibility to leave name and e-mail address for possible questions was used by 27.1% (5.513) of the participants. A validation performed with the software Bouncer proved 4 710 (85.4%) of the mail addresses to be reachable.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

https://praguemorning.cz/ffp2-respirators-mandatory-public-transport

A bit of news from Czech republic related to masks. Let's see if it's gonna work. Numbers are crazy there for a good while now, no end in sight. Since it's my home country, I'm seriously disappointed they let covid go off like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

xhomelezz wrote: »
    https://praguemorning.cz/ffp2-respirators-mandatory-public-transport

A bit of news from Czech republic related to masks. Let's see if it's gonna work. Numbers are crazy there for a good while now, no end in sight. Since it's my home country, I'm seriously disappointed they let covid go off like that.

Why just on public transport? Shouldn't it be where people mix?

• Advertisement

Why just on public transport? Shouldn't it be where people mix?

Public transport is big at home, I guess it's much bigger volume of peeps using public transport to compare with Ireland.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    Public transport is big at home, I guess it's much bigger volume of peeps using public transport to compare with Ireland.

Ireland has no metro, thankfully. Doubt it has, but going to ask anyway, has the state give a breakdown in cases from different forms of public transport?

From what I read they are going to cut out scarfs, paper napkins and homemade face masks. More details to be announced tomorrow.

What's the availability of F2 masks, pricing?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

JJayoo wrote: »
    Are people still crying about the hardship of wearing a mask for the brief time they are out in public? Such a soft generation oh poor me lol

It's a bit like wearing a yellow star on your chest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Parachutes wrote: »

Yeah its EXACTLY like that :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Parachutes wrote: »

Looks like you have no clue whatsoever. I mean this kind of shīt is cheapest ever. Are you comparing wearing a mask to yellow star on Jew's chest during the holocaust? You might get yourself checked by professionals.

Seanergy wrote: »
    Ireland has no metro, thankfully. Doubt it has, but going to ask anyway, has the state give a breakdown in cases from different forms of public transport?

From what I read they are going to cut out scarfs, paper napkins and homemade face masks. More details to be announced tomorrow.

What's the availability of F2 masks, pricing?

I'll have to find out. But public transport is much more available and used to compare to Ireland hence I get reasoning to apply use of FFP2.

This is quote from article related to costs

FFP2 respirators are significantly more expensive than standard medical masks. If they become mandatory, a family of four will have several options.

“Wear a respirator at work, school, it means using probably two respirators a day for every family member. This is the most expensive solution, around 8,800 CZK per month. However, the respirator can be disinfected and therefore extend its using. The total cost per family would be about CZK 3,000 per month,” said Capitalinked.com analyst Radim Dohnal.

According to Deputy Prime Minister Jan Hamáček (ČSSD), there are about 16 million respirators available in the country. Since Wednesday, the Ministry of Industry and Trade has been analyzing the production capacities in the country.

The chairman of the Association of the Nanotechnology Industry of the Czech Republic, Jiří Kůs, said on Thursday that Czech manufacturers of nanofiber respirators have a monthly production capacity of four million units. If necessary, it can immediately be increased to five million per month.

On the breakdown of cases related to public transport I can't find info, but take it as huge volume of people moving all the time, daily reported cases are through the roof for a long time, so I guess tracing must be next to useless. If you look at numbers in hospitals, it's well over 5000 for a good while now.

railer201 wrote: »
    The virus doesn't care whether it's a home or what - it just loves enclosed spaces and hanging around in an aerosol cloud with people adding to the viral concentration by sneezing, coughing, shouting even talking. And then more transmission by sharing food, plates and utensils. It's doubtful if the 2 metre social distancing even applies to enclosed spaces, apart from the impracticality of it.

Isn't that funny that the virus is transmissible when sharing food and plates, but not when you're eating in an enclosed space?
    There are places (bars and restaurants) where it is possible to eat without the mask. It seems that when one is eating, the virus takes a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Isn't that funny that the virus is transmissible when sharing food and plates, but not when you're eating in an enclosed space?
    There are places (bars and restaurants) where it is possible to eat without the mask. It seems that when one is eating, the virus takes a rest.

No it doesn't seem that way at all. I think you know this.
    Hospitality is closed in Ireland and talk of re-opening in summer, outdoor dining only.
    If you have found a credible source saying it's safe to be in an enclosed space eating or drinking without regard to time and distance and masks then please share.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

There are places (bars and restaurants) where it is possible to eat without the mask

Not now there isn't

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    No it doesn't seem that way at all. I think you know this.
    Hospitality is closed in Ireland and talk of re-opening in summer, outdoor dining only.
    If you have found a credible source saying it's safe to be in an enclosed space eating or drinking without regard to time and distance and masks then please share.

I'm sort of a "guest" here in Boards.ie, I'm not Irish and live abroad, and here in my country, Italy, some bars and restaurants are allowed to stay open till 6 pm serving meals indoors. Of course tables are arranged to keep people at a greater distance than before, but people are in an enclosed space, without mask for at least an hour, talking, laughing, maybe coughing, and all.
    In workplaces, canteens are just the same.
    That's why I say that it seems that virus gives customers a wide berth during meals.

It is possible that the rule to allow restaurants open for indoor meals is present in other countries too.

Advertisement