Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

GT89 wrote: »
    Sweden has lower Covid than Ireland now and people there are not wearing masks over there. Clearly they are doing a better job than us atm. Masks are either useless or actually causing the spread of covid not stopping it.
    How about countries in Asia? Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, etc?

They've almost universal mask usage. Are they doing worse than both Ireland and Sweden?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The Czech Republic have seen a spike since rules were relaxed.

It makes a very good argument for not relaxing the rules too early.

Rules were tightened on Sept 3rd to make mask wearing mandatory in public buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Well maybe Czechia did something that worked other than wearing masks. People bang on about the Czech Republic and how they have done much better than us because they wore masks but if masks are so effective why haven't we had the same results as them once we've reccomended it.
    Because it is not generally claimed that masks are a magic bullet or the only possible measure needed to combat covid

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Graham wrote: »
    Isn't that exactly what was stated in the post you quoted:

‘Picking your nose and doing star jumps reduces the variolation of Covid’ is my theory. If I advance it, it doesn’t make it any more read worthy.

It was a nothing article on a sketchy, at best, theory. The kind of article that gets pulled out from the stores of news for slow news days.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

How about countries in Asia? Hong Kong, South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, etc?

They've almost universal mask usage. Are they doing worse than both Ireland and Sweden?

Or perhaps China where the bloody thing is meant to have come from. If masks were effective the virus would have never gotten out of China.

• Advertisement

3xh wrote: »
    ‘Picking your nose and doing star jumps reduces the variolation of Covid’ is my theory. If I advance it, it doesn’t make it any more read worthy.

You should definitely continue your studies, do let us know when you've completed the first draft of your investigations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Well maybe Czechia did something that worked other than wearing masks. People bang on about the Czech Republic and how they have done much better than us because they wore masks but if masks are so effective why haven't we had the same results as them once we've reccomended it.

Because we done things are ways.

The Czech Republic made masks mandatory very early on in this pandemic.

Look at us. A recommendation in May, which people took as "if you want to". Made mandatory in certain places in July (offices and factories seem to be exempt here).

The Czech had four months of mask wearing before we did. And people here are confused because of our government's half arsed measures. That's why we haven't had the same results as Czech Republic.

You should definitely continue your studies, do let us know when you've completed the first draft of your investigations.

At least now you can see how you misunderstood my post regarding the telegraph article. Shame you can’t admit it but resort to that kind of childish response, Graham.

The basis for the article was quite clear in the post that linked to it. It's an interesting observation from a credible source (New England Journal of Medicine) and it ties in well with other discussions/observations/studies about viral load and the potential for viral load to be reduced through the use of masks.

Why you felt it necessary to compare that to your nose picking study is anyones guess. I can only assume it's because you've run out of credible objections to wearing a mask.

The basis for the article was quite clear in the post that linked to it. It's an interesting observation from a credible source (New England Journal of Medicine) and it ties in well with other discussions/observations/studies about viral load and the potential for viral load to be reduced through the use of masks.

Why you felt it necessary to compare that to your nose picking study is anyones guess. I can only assume it's because you've run out of credible objections to wearing a mask.

Ok, I’ll spell it out;

First, it was; we don’t need masks as they’re not thought to work outside of a medical setting. They will also encourage more face touching.

Second, they become advised. Then mandatory, in numerous settings. The reason; they help to reduce the chance of you spreading it and a little less of a chance of a potential recipient contracting it.

Numbers of positive cases increase in line with greater mask use (this increase may, potentially, be due to the opening up of premises, we won’t know. However, premises did open up earlier than mask use/case numbers rose)

Now we’re being told here the theory is that if you contract it while wearing a mask, it’ll be a lighter illness as the ‘viral load’ is lower.

The study was a highly limited one involving a few lab mice in a box with a mask/shield across it and some got what were perceived to be heavier and lighter reactions to Covid.

As I say, my nose picking and star jump theory is as valid in this Covid show as that theory advanced in the telegraph link.

• Advertisement

The study was a highly limited one involving a few lab mice in a box with a mask/shield across it and some got what were perceived to be heavier and lighter reactions to Covid.

I wonder if the reason it's called a study is the fact they're studying it.

Makes sense to me.

At the end of the study, there may be a conclusion.

I wonder if the reason it's called a study is the fact they're studying it.

Makes sense to me.

Well come back to me when it’s a little more ‘advanced’ and closer to fact than some other slow news day, hysteria-inducing click bait study.

Well come back to me when it’s a little more ‘advanced’ and closer to fact than some other slow news day, hysteria-inducing click bait study.

You do realise that you're not forced to read such articles or even participate in discussion about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Shortage of availability of masks in Feb/March but then you already know all this.

Scarfs, snoods etc are just as effective as masks. We were/are still being asked to wear face coverings, not just masks. Was there a shortage of scarfs??

Researchers from Duke University in North Carolina tested 14 different face coverings to see which type was most effective at limiting the spread of droplets.

bandanas and neck fleeces, such as balaclavas or snoods, didn’t do much at all to block the droplets.

Researchers from Duke University in North Carolina tested 14 different face coverings to see which type was most effective at limiting the spread of droplets.

bandanas and neck fleeces, such as balaclavas or snoods, didn’t do much at all to block the droplets.

Yet they are perfectly acceptable to wear.

I can't ever remember coming across anyone wearing a snood or scarf over the last 6 months.

Maybe you're experience is different, are snoods particularly popular amongst your friends.

Here's a video showing some actual real research

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I have to say I'm a bit surprised with people saying they touch their face more when wearing masks.
    I actually find the opposite: I touch my face much less. Not saying that I have eliminated it completely, but once I put the mask on and adjust the nose bridge, I rarely have to touch it again - only on the odd occasion that the mask hasn't settle properly. That also has the knock-on effect that I don't touch my face even when not wearing a mask (before Covid I was pretty bad on that aspect, touching my face frequently).

On the benefit of wearing a mask, I have an example that would justify the usefulness of wearing one: I suffer from chronic sinus issues - blocked nose mostly, which gets worse during high pollen/hayfever periods. So there is sneezing involved - and occasionally I find myself in the embarrassing situation of not being fast enough to cover my nose before sneezing. Surely one would argue that in that scenario the mask will catch most (if not all) of my germs?

And before anyone comes to say "ah, another pro-masker": I hate them, I absolutely do. I find that after the first 2 hours of wearing one (no matter what type, I have tried a few different ones) I get a headache and gastric acid. I will still wear one whenever I will go shopping - I just find myself going to shops much less now, doing all my shopping once a week in one go. I have a trip coming up and will be on a plane for 4 hours and I prepare myself psychologically for the fact that I will have to wear a mask for 5-6 hours in total.
    The day we won't have to wear one because things have gotten better will be a great day indeed.

Watch at 1:18 to see what happens with a sneeze!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Polar101

I can't ever remember coming across anyone wearing a snood or scarf over the last 6 months.

I actually saw one today, they looked quite covered.. but must've been uncomfortable since it's +22C today. But yeah, don't see that too often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

From the article linked above and the effectiveness of different types of masks

1595520113544.png

You do realise that you're not forced to read such articles or even participate in discussion about them.

And have you accuse me of not taking in all available evidence, info, research? Being dismissive of ‘studies’ before reading them? No chance.

I reviewed the available ‘evidence’ in that^^^ study that was tempered even by its own doctors partaking in it and like any clear thinking person, put it in the bin along with all the other wannabe famous researchers/vested interests’ studies that are jumping on Covid bandwagon, Graham.

Anyone perpetuating the ‘possibility’ that wearing a mask now lowers your viral load and subsequent bodily reaction is a right t*t

I reviewed the available ‘evidence’ in that^^^ study

There's why you're confused. It's not presented as evidence.

It's a study.

Watch at 1:18 to see what happens with a sneeze!

Oh for god sake! What on Earth is all that liquid coming out of their mouth when they sneeze at 1:24, Graham?!

There's why you're confused. It's not presented as evidence.

It's a study.

Yes, well done, Graham. Evidence in the study. You’re just embarrassing yourself now. Deliberately being childish to avoid saying ‘yep, **** study with meaningless observations’

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Yes, well done, Graham. Evidence in the study. You’re just embarrassing yourself now. Deliberately being childish to avoid saying ‘yep, **** study with meaningless observations’

Shìt man slow down, take a breath, wear your mask, keep SD, wash your hands. Simple. No need to go spastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Hmmm,so america is not the only country with loons in.

Good to know

Maybe you're experience is different, are snoods particularly popular amongst your friends.

Here's a video showing some actual real research

“A face covering is a material you wear that covers the nose and mouth.“ - from HSE website. Scarf/Snood perfectly acceptable once they cover the mouth anD nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

All this evidence is not evidence according to a few of the skeptics because the studies have been carried in 'lab conditions'. It seem that for some reason laboratory testing is not realistic and therefore should be ignored. The skeptics will only accept scientific studies carried out in supermarkets, because ....well actually I can't explain why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Sconsey wrote: »
    All this evidence is not evidence according to a few of the skeptics because the studies have been carried in 'lab conditions'. It seem that for some reason laboratory testing is not realistic and therefore should be ignored. The skeptics will only accept scientific studies carried out in supermarkets, because ....well actually I can't explain why.

It's a well known fact that Covid-19 is avoiding supermarkets, so no need to do any studies. Also masks works only on hospital grounds, the minute you walk out you can forget it. They'll only give you false sense of security and you'll start touching your face like mad. Plus of course masks are highly contagious :D That's about science some trying to push through. And don't forget about that guy with filthy scarfs :D

Advertisement