Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I saw 2 bus drivers yesterday driving, one had his nose out and the other had no mask at all on, all his passengers had their masks on. I give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 foggiestyle

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I saw 2 bus drivers yesterday driving, one had his nose out and the other had no mask at all on, all his passengers had their masks on. I give up.

Take a day off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I've been getting buses a few times a week since the pandemic started. Most of the bus drivers I encounter have not been wearing masks.

Being honest I'm not too bothered by it. Once the passengers are wearing masks the driver could be naked for all I care

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 foggiestyle

ShyMets wrote: »
    I've been getting buses a few times a week since the pandemic started. Most of the bus drivers I encounter have not been wearing masks.

Being honest I'm not too bothered by it. Once the passengers are wearing masks the driver could be naked for all I care

Same as , a lot more issues going on in life , than a few people who don't want to wear one /or wear incorrectly, either through some sort of ailment like COPD or mental health problems. I have mine on so I'm protected, and so have the majority of the Country.

What if the driver has covid? You aren't protected just because you have a mask on. You might say take a day off but the reason we are in this never ending lockdown is because of people who are spreading the virus, not wearing masks correctly when having covid is spreading covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/244/made/en/print

Requirement to wear face covering when travelling by public transport

5. (1) A person shall not, without reasonable excuse, travel by public transport vehicle within a relevant geographical location without wearing a face covering.

(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply -

(a) to a person under the age of 13 years,

(b) to a person driving a public transport vehicle from a compartment in which he or she is the sole occupant,

(c) where there is a screen in a public transport vehicle which separates the driver of the vehicle from persons boarding or alighting from the vehicle, to a person driving the vehicle from behind that screen,

(d) where there is not a screen in a public transport vehicle which separates the driver of the vehicle from persons boarding or alighting from the vehicle, to a person driving the vehicle during the periods when no person is boarding or alighting from the vehicle,

(e) to a member of the Garda Síochána in the course of performing his or her duties.

Sections (b) (c) and (d) may apply,depending on the vehicle and/or service.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

What if the driver has covid? You aren't protected just because you have a mask on. You might say take a day off but the reason we are in this never ending lockdown is because of people who are spreading the virus, not wearing masks correctly when having covid is spreading covid.

You don't have much to be concerned about.

Oddly enough,Public Transport Worldwide has NOT been found to be a contributor to the spread of this particular virus,although every year it will doubtlessly aid the spread of every other form of ailment.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-why-public-transport-could-be-safer-than-we-thought-12091657
    The risk of coronavirus spreading on public transport has remained substantially low through the pandemic, several international studies have shown.

Safety measures imposed on public transport around the world since COVID-19 hit have made them "the safest places on earth", Dr Julian Tang, a professor of respiratory sciences at Leicester University, told Sky News.

Instead of worrying unnecessarily about the Busdrivers maskless fizzog,EVERY Bus Passenger should ensure that the Window adjacent to them is OPEN and remains so for their journey.

Covid and it's co-viri,do NOT like freely circulating fresh air.....try to recall your Mother's exhortations to "Go out and play in the fresh air"...like a lot of Mammyism's,there is a great deal of sense in it. ;)

In the meantime,wear yer mask if you derive comfort from that,but by far the best advice you can get is GET OUT AND ABOUT yourself and note down the numbers of people outdoors without facecoverings of any type.

It's probably not what you want to hear,but reality is heading off down the road anyway...with you or without you.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/244/made/en/print

Requirement to wear face covering when travelling by public transport

Sections (b) (c) and (d) may apply,depending on the vehicle and/or service.

They don't apply, no screens or separate compartments in use on these buses.

Oddly enough,Public Transport Worldwide has NOT been found to be a contributor to the spread of this particular virus,although every year it will doubtlessly aid the spread of every other form of ailment.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-why-public-transport-could-be-safer-than-we-thought-12091657

Instead of worrying unnecessarily about the Busdrivers maskless fizzog,EVERY Bus Passenger should ensure that the Window adjacent to them is OPEN and remains so for their journey.

Covid and it's co-viri,do NOT like freely circulating fresh air.....try to recall your Mother's exhortations to "Go out and play in the fresh air"...like a lot of Mammyism's,there is a great deal of sense in it. ;)

In the meantime,wear yer mask if you derive comfort from that,but by far the best advice you can get is GET OUT AND ABOUT yourself and note down the numbers of people outdoors without facecoverings of any type.

It's probably not what you want to hear,but reality is heading off down the road anyway...with you or without you.

I am out and about, I work 7 days a week, and deal with the public. im not hiding in my house, I just take precautions when out. in my opinion it is very unprofessional for a bus driver to be driving customers around with no mask in a PANDEMIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From Twitter!

To those who still wear their mask below the nose, it's been a year now; it takes less time to potty train a toddler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Tired332

I feel so bad for the deaf people who need to read lips to communicate, because of all of the face masks right now.
    Let's give them all a moment of silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

It's not about the comfort... I have pillows in action for comfort, face masks are being recommended for different reasons.

Since you mentioned open windows on buses, yeah that's right. Makes me just laugh to see four lads in the jeep with masks on, but windows shut, guess they feel warmer..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

xhomelezz wrote: »
    It's not about the comfort... I have pillows in action for comfort, face masks are being recommended for different reasons.

Since you mentioned open windows on buses, yeah that's right. Makes me just laugh to see four lads in the jeep with masks on, but windows shut, guess they feel warmer..

I wrote about a taxi a few days ago with passengers and driver masked up and no window open. I think masks are worn because you have to, I don't think people care.

I wrote about a taxi a few days ago with passengers and driver masked up and no window open. I think masks are worn because you have to, I don't think people care.

People are just too lazy to use brain for thinking. So we'll keep impose restrictions and not cooperating part of population will moan about it. Nothing changed.

They don't apply, no screens or separate compartments in use on these buses.

Like many of such well crafted legislative pieces they must be read and considered thoroughly..
    (d) where there is not a screen in a public transport vehicle which separates the driver of the vehicle from persons boarding or alighting from the vehicle, to a person driving the vehicle during the periods when no person is boarding or alighting from the vehicle,

The driver of such vehicle as you describe,is only required to wear a facecovering during the periods when persons are boarding or alighting.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    People are just too lazy to use brain for thinking. So we'll keep impose restrictions and not cooperating part of population will moan about it. Nothing changed.

It's a point of view,but I would suggest it is in the descendant.

Those in favour of more Impositions are already facing an increasing pullback against those proposals,which is steadily gaining traction out on the streets amongst ORDINARY people.

The ordinary non-cooperative's are not moaning about it,they are simply and quietly ignoring it.

I readily admit that this,far more than street demonstrations and speechmaking,will present the Authorities with a FAR greater credibility problem.

It did for Prohibition in 1920's USA,and mandated facecoverings here will fare little better.

Nothing Changes.

Like many of such well crafted legislative pieces they must be read and considered thoroughly..

The driver of such vehicle as you describe,is only required to wear a facecovering during the periods when persons are boarding or alighting.

so the driver has covid, no mask and is driving and coughing non stop. do you not think there is a good chance he/she will pass on the virus to the passengers? don't worry about what the legislation says. just use your common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

Same question, one year later.

This time last year, Martin Cormican, HSE lead for infection prevention control and antimicrobial resistance and Dr Nuala O’ Connor, Irish College of General Practitioners lead advisor on Covid-19 and antibiotic resistance both answered alcohol hand rub.

How do you fare?

Screen-Shot-2021-03-06-at-01.33.09.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

soap/alcohandrub, goggles, mask, gown, gloves for me please

pottokblue wrote: »
    soap/alcohandrub, goggles, mask, gown, gloves for me please

You have to pick one FFS :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Seanergy wrote: »
    Same question, one year later.

This time last year, Martin Cormican, HSE lead for infection prevention control and antimicrobial resistance and Dr Nuala O’ Connor, Irish College of General Practitioners lead advisor on Covid-19 and antibiotic resistance both answered alcohol hand rub.

How do you fare?

Screen-Shot-2021-03-06-at-01.33.09.png

hand sanitizer is of more benefit than anything, miost people with masks will touch off them numerous times probably not even realising thenselves, for me they are a waste of time excepy maybe in cramped conditions.

hand sanitizer is of more belefit than anything, miost people with masks will touch off them numerous times probably not even realising thenselves, for me they are a waste of time excepy maybe in cramped conditions.

Hand sanitizer isn't the best either, it's proper hand washing that gets the germs off.

Maybe instead of blaming masks, can we start blaming hand sanitizer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Hand sanitizer isn't the best either, it's proper hand washing that gets the germs off.

Maybe instead of blaming masks, can we start blaming hand sanitizer?

well proper hand sanitizer is effective as is good handwashing, that's not up for debate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

hand sanitizer is of more benefit than anything, miost people with masks will touch off them numerous times probably not even realising thenselves, for me they are a waste of time excepy maybe in cramped conditions.
    People don't always wash their hands properly either and may have a false sense of security as a result....are you implying we should forget hand washing because some people are not doing it right?
    well proper hand sanitizer is effective as is good handwashing, that's not up for debate

So hand sanitizing is fine because it's been shown to be effective and is not up for debate. But, you say, masks that have also been shown to be effective are a waste of time? I think your perceptions are clouding your judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,291 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Coronavirus is primarily spread by respiratory droplets in the air - not by contact \ touching \ fomite transmission. Hand sanitiser is not effective against respiratory droplets in the air. So there is no basis to say that hand sanitizer is of more benefit than anything, when it does nothing against the primary transmission mechanism of the virus.
    You can't sanitise your lungs. You can sanitise your hands after touching foreign surfaces.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I wonder how do anti-maskers feel about that low oxygen line they like using when talking about masks?

Been wearing a mask for months, in work, in the shops, anywhere there's people. I also have a pulse oximeter so that I can monitor my oxygen when/if I get covid.

Been wearing masks for months now and I haven't suffered from low oxygen from mask wearing, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I wonder how do anti-maskers feel about that low oxygen line they like using when talking about masks?

Been wearing a mask for months, in work, in the shops, anywhere there's people. I also have a pulse oximeter so that I can monitor my oxygen when/if I get covid.

Been wearing masks for months now and I haven't suffered from low oxygen from mask wearing, at all.

Well that is purely your own experience. I mean it is like with bra. Some woman will not go anywhere without it and some cant stand it. I wonder how braless woman feel going out without one, hang on I will ask my wife...
    It is a question of getting used to something. You got used to wearing mask perhaps you even like it in your own way. I cant stand having it on my face more than few minutes.
    You conditioned yourself to wear a mask, perhaps you are in the vulnerable category and you believe it can protect you. Pretty much the same like feeling being naked without wearing bra.

I do not care if people around me wear mask or not it is their own decision but militant fanatical stuff - like calling people who do not bother to wear one "antimasker" is really kindergarden stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

You seem to be under the impression that reality and evidence mean anything to these people....

Masks Under the Microscope

https://www.nist.gov/feature-stories/masks-under-microscope

Nice read up on face masks, if anyone is interested.

• Advertisement

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Well that is purely your own experience. I mean it is like with bra. Some woman will not go anywhere without it and some cant stand it. I wonder how braless woman feel going out without one, hang on I will ask my wife...
    It is a question of getting used to something. You got used to wearing mask perhaps you even like it in your own way. I cant stand having it on my face more than few minutes.
    You conditioned yourself to wear a mask, perhaps you are in the vulnerable category and you believe it can protect you. Pretty much the same like feeling being naked without wearing bra.

I do not care if people around me wear mask or not it is their own decision but militant fanatical stuff - like calling people who do not bother to wear one "antimasker" is really kindergarden stuff.

Ah grand so, you don't mind infecting others because of a little discomfort with masks. That's the Irish me fein attitude.

Advertisement