Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Seanergy wrote: »

I pass by our local primary school every other day and can't help noticing the clusters of children in the playground, almost always in groups of 4,5,6, heads almost touching.

In addition to no requirement for primary schoolchildren to wear masks, the social distancing rule is clearly also being ignored.

One can see readily how transmission from child to child and onward to the home and the reverse can take place.

Have people learned nothing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

railer201 wrote: »
    I pass by our local primary school every other day and can't help noticing the clusters of children in the playground, almost always in groups of 4,5,6, heads almost touching.

In addition to no requirement for primary schoolchildren to wear masks, the social distancing rule is clearly also being ignored.

One can see readily how transmission from child to child and onward to the home and the reverse can take place.

We learned from Norma schools are safe..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

It's truly bizzare. Considered to be too "distressing" in May. For who? The anti-social-distancing parents? the anti-mask parents? the playschool teachers? the children? the people dying? who?

Very little learnt, so far.
    EwEi9q_WEAEsIbW-e1616533633124.png

It's truly bizzare. Considered to be too "distressing" in May. For who? The anti-social-distancing parents? the anti-mask parents? the playschool teachers? the children? the people dying? who?

Very little learnt, so far.
    EwEi9q_WEAEsIbW-e1616533633124.png

No bother for children to wear masks at Halloween for generations, so most of the above are just excuses and patent nonsense. But now having abandoned the mask option, and also the 2 metre distancing, one wonders what exactly is the situation in the classroom too.

One wonders also how Norma Foley's statement that schools are safe squares with the internationally accepted advice, by all relevant health authorites, that both masks and/or social distancing of 2 metres is the standard advice to check transmission.

Very little learned as you say, or perhaps more accurately, what a bunch of clowns !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Ah grand so, you don't mind infecting others because of a little discomfort with masks. That's the Irish me fein attitude.

Infecting others? With what?
    That is next level stuff it is like telling everyone who get in the car that they do not mind starting some possible hypothetical killing spree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

You really think it's a good idea to make primary school children engage in social distancing with each other???

If you really think we should be telling 6 great old children they now can't play with their friends in school, then you sir, need your head examined.

I have two children, 5 and 2. The 5 year old only gets to play with other children when he's in school, when he's At home he's out the back garden with us our out in Parks, again with us, but he has no contact with any other children besides school. My two year old daughter has yet to play with a child other than her brother.

My children, amongst many others have taken a far bigger hit this past year than most others, and it boils my blood that there's people like you who think they should do more. Get a grip ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,291 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Infecting others? With what?
    That is next level stuff it is like telling everyone who get in the car that they do not mind starting some possible hypothetical killing spree.

What do you think they'd be infecting other people with, in the midst of a respiratory pandemic, with hundreds of new cases a day in the country?
    Stop being so disingenuous.

If you get in a car after drink driving, or without NCT or with known mechanical issue etc or ignore speed limits or red lights then yes, I'd be telling them do they not mind the damage they might cause to others on the roads.

Same with a mask.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

You really think it's a good idea to make primary school children engage in social distancing with each other???

If you really think we should be telling 6 great old children they now can't play with their friends in school, then you sir, need your head examined.

I have two children, 5 and 2. The 5 year old only gets to play with other children when he's in school, when he's At home he's out the back garden with us our out in Parks, again with us, but he has no contact with any other children besides school. My two year old daughter has yet to play with a child other than her brother.

My children, amongst many others have taken a far bigger hit this past year than most others, and it boils my blood that there's people like you who think they should do more. Get a grip ffs.

It's not really what I said, so I'll summarise it for you. In the absence of a vaccine and in addition to handwashing hygiene, the health authorities of most countries, and we'll take the CDC as an example below have issued clear guidelines to prevent spread of the disease which basically consist of mask wearing and social distancing. So as in the link below, social distancing is being adhered to.

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1371552039759704066

Clearly this isn't happening at playtime - but if this is fine with you, that's grand - I'm just the messenger relaying what I saw. I'm personally not recommending anything, but I'm sure there's more than one solution. As a parent I would suggest that's your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

It is a question of getting used to something. You got used to wearing mask perhaps you even like it in your own way. I cant stand having it on my face more than few minutes.

Same here, I can't stand it, though it's been a year now. I haven't got used to it yet, and I never will, because it is something unnatural.
    But because I'm ordered to wear it, I wear it. But only for the shortest time required.
    So, I never go out of home, I'm not going to shops or other places, and I don't think I will ever go into a shop again, I found out that online shopping is much better.
    At work they told me that as soon as I can't stand the mask anymore, I am allowed to take a walk in the backyard away from the building. Needless to say that I am outside for most of the day.

But if all the rest of colleagues and people are fine with the ask, I am fine with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Same here, I can't stand it, though it's been a year now. I haven't got used to it yet, and I never will, because it is something unnatural.
    But because I'm ordered to wear it, I wear it. But only for the shortest time required.
    So, I never go out of home, I'm not going to shops or other places, and I don't think I will ever go into a shop again, I found out that online shopping is much better.
    At work they told me that as soon as I can't stand the mask anymore, I am allowed to take a walk in the backyard away from the building. Needless to say that I am outside for most of the day.

But if all the rest of colleagues and people are fine with the ask, I am fine with that.

Wearing clothes and using toilets are also unnatural as well. Nothing bad happened to us there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Still at it? Yay masks?

Even now when we found out that they dont actually do a thing and the most fervent number jugglers attest that they 'may' reduce the spread up to 1.8%?

Still at it? Yay masks?

Even now when we found out that they dont actually do a thing and the most fervent number jugglers attest that they 'may' reduce the spread up to 1.8%?

Still at it yourself?

Why don't you enlighten us please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Yep still wearing mask at work, publictransport, anywhere its mandatory or I'm asked to. I'm not wearing it at home but would if I get a C19 +ve test result.

Wearing clothes and using toilets are also unnatural as well. Nothing bad happened to us there.

Wearing clothes help us to stay warm, unlike other animals we do not have hair all over the body.
    And using toilets it's just a convenient way not to have "stuff" all over the place.
    Having the mouth covered is unnatural. Whoever says that there's no difference between having or not having a mask on is lying, in my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Wearing clothes help us to stay warm, unlike other animals we do not have hair all over the body.
    And using toilets it's just a convenient way not to have "stuff" all over the place.
    Having the mouth covered is unnatural. Whoever says that there's no difference between having or not having a mask on is lying, in my opinion.

Humans as a species started off without clothes or toilets, so they are both unnatural. I'm guessing you're fine with clothes and toilets but masks are unnatural.

Great that you found a good reason for wearing clothes and using toilets. But masks help with preventing the spread of disease and you don't see any benefit in masks?

Great that you found a good reason for wearing clothes and using toilets. But masks help with preventing the spread of disease and you don't see any benefit in masks?

I said that they are unnatural and I can't stand them, that is much different to saying that they aren't a benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Humans as a species started off without clothes or toilets, so they are both unnatural. I'm guessing you're fine with clothes and toilets but masks are unnatural.

Ok, since it took people about hundred thousands of years to get to wear clothes (some tribes in south america still walk around semi naked), maybe we will see more people out and about with a mask in the next few centuries or millennia.
    Historians will be teaching pupils about this moment when this essential piece was adopted by humanity. By then they may figure out a way that people will be born with a mask firmly attached to their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Like yourself,I only wear a facecovering when absolutely necessary,mainly to avoid conflict with some minimum waged staff member having to confront me over the issue.

As it currently stands,I see the wearing of facecoverings as little more than a signalling mechanism to reassure the Authorities of tttthe compliance rate of the public.

Plus,it has put in place a bit of business for producers,or more likely,importers of the various designs.

At some point it will be seen as just part of the Tragi Comedic Opera called Covid in Éirinn :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Ok, since it took people about hundred thousands of years to get to wear clothes (some tribes in south america still walk around semi naked), maybe we will see more people out and about with a mask in the next few centuries or millennia.
    Historians will be teaching pupils about this moment when this essential piece was adopted by humanity. By then they may figure out a way that people will be born with a mask firmly attached to their faces.

:rolleyes:

At least we can forget this written piece of history in next two minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Hooray! It's official. The Saviours of the Nation are - the Nurses and hospitals. The brand new magazine called The Pulse - "A special tribute to nurses and all the covid heroes whose sacrifice we applaud".

• Advertisement

Pure BS. Nobody was ordered to wear a mask this time last year, nobody.

using masks it's just a convenient way not to have "stuff" all over the place.

Pure BS. Nobody was ordered to wear a mask this time last year, nobody.

No, it was strongly adviced, then it was said it was useless, or even dangerous, then again advised, then ordered.
    Someone has worn them since the very beginning, if they had them available at home.
    I'm sure someone will swear that they can live and breathe with the mask on their nose and mouth just like when they don't.
    But I'm not one of them, and I feel and believe that not havong a mask on is way better.
    For this reason I'm more often outside my workplace than I'm inside.
    using masks it's just a convenient way not to have "stuff" all over the place.

In the past two pandemics nearly nobody, or nobody at all, was wearing a mask, surely there was "stuff" all over the place, but I think nobody did care.

No, it was strongly adviced,

Incorrect.

though it's been a year now.

It has not been a year, your BS has been called out, stand up and take it.

Extract from the Expert Advisory Group(EAG) from this day last year 25th March 2020.

Screen-Shot-2021-03-25-at-09.45.11.png

Screen-Shot-2021-03-25-at-09.52.40.png

Incorrect.

Whatever you want :)
    It has not been a year, your BS has been called out, stand up and take it.

It seems you fail to see the fact. The fact is that, either advised or mandatory, I've been wearing a mask since March 16 last year, everytime I'm in a public space, indoor or outdoor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Like yourself,I only wear a facecovering when absolutely necessary,mainly to avoid conflict with some minimum waged staff member having to confront me over the issue.

As it currently stands,I see the wearing of facecoverings as little more than a signalling mechanism to reassure the Authorities of tttthe compliance rate of the public.

Plus,it has put in place a bit of business for producers,or more likely,importers of the various designs.

At some point it will be seen as just part of the Tragi Comedic Opera called Covid in Éirinn :)

STOP EVERYTHING...this guy has it all figued out. Scrap all the global research by qualified experts, dump the evidence, this guy figures it's all a scam to sell a few masks. Thank God you have emerged from nowhere, with no evidence, to inform us and put the scientific community in their place. Thank you for you service.

No, it was strongly adviced, then it was said it was useless, or even dangerous, then again advised, then ordered.
    Someone has worn them since the very beginning, if they had them available at home.
    I'm sure someone will swear that they can live and breathe with the mask on their nose and mouth just like when they don't.
    But I'm not one of them, and I feel and believe that not havong a mask on is way better.
    For this reason I'm more often outside my workplace than I'm inside.

In the past two pandemics nearly nobody, or nobody at all, was wearing a mask, surely there was "stuff" all over the place, but I think nobody did care.

What past two pandemics are you referring to?

People gave up on flu pandemic measures a century ago when they tired of them – and paid a price..

https://theconversation.com/people-gave-up-on-flu-pandemic-measures-a-century-ago-when-they-tired-of-them-and-paid-a-price-156551

A bit of comparison between last flu pandemic and covid19 problem we have now.

xhomelezz wrote: »
    What past two pandemics are you referring to?

The one in 1957-59 (or 1960) and the one in 1968-1969 (extending to 1970).
    They even managed to organize Olympics and Football Championships during both of them, along with one of the greatest and largest concerts in history.

• Advertisement

The one in 1957-59 (or 1960) and the one in 1968-1969 (extending to 1970).
    They even managed to organize Olympics and Football Championships during both of them, along with one of the greatest and largest concerts in history.

https://www.britannica.com/event/1957-flu-pandemic

https://www.britannica.com/event/1968-flu-pandemic

One can only speculate, if some of the basic guidelines we are following these days would affect outcome of the two mentioned pandemics. Imo, I would say a lot..

Advertisement