Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,291 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Spanish flu was much worse than either the 1957 or 1968 flu pandemics, and masks were a significant feature of measures to contain that outbreak.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

xhomelezz wrote: »
    https://www.britannica.com/event/1957-flu-pandemic

https://www.britannica.com/event/1968-flu-pandemic

One can only speculate, if some of the basic guidelines we are following these days would affect outcome of the two mentioned pandemics. Imo, I would say a lot..

An article I read a few days ago was saying that back in those days people would show off how many disease they had survived and built antibodies against, rather than telling people they had taken a vaccine. Don't know if it's true, but the article said that mothers in those days were so proud of how many virus their children had got.
    In August 1969, in the full of a pandemic, half a million people gathered with no hygiene and precautions in a field for four days to listen to the best music ever.

https://www.monrealenews.it/images/articoli/2020/08/woodstock.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The Spanish flu was much worse than either the 1957 or 1968 flu pandemics, and masks were a significant feature of measures to contain that outbreak.

The final number of deaths for 1957 and 1968 pamdemics have never been officially assessed, they say 1 to 4 million deaths each.

An article I read a few days ago was saying that back in those days people would show off how many disease they had survived and built antibodies against, rather than telling people they had taken a vaccine. Don't know if it's true, but the article said that mothers in those days were so proud of how many virus their children had got.
    In August 1969, in the full of a pandemic, half a million people gathered with no hygiene and precautions in a field for four days to listen to the best music ever.

Hard to show off if you are dead?

The article sounds like dangerous and ignorant nonsense given that vaccines played a key role in combating and ending those flu outbreaks.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1957%E2%80%931958_influenza_pandemic#Vaccine_and_aftermath

It doesn't like sound we have any lessons to learn from the 1950s and 1960s outbreaks in terms of masks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

So last week it came out that leaving cert students taking part in oral exams don't have to wear a mask. There's loads of measures, screens, distancing and opening windows.

And this week it's been changed and now they have to wear a mask during their oral exams.

It's just an examiner and a student in a room, you would think distance would be enough... Unless it's not about distancing anymore? Yet, there's workplaces following the back to work guidance and it's all about distancing. When will we get around to these workplaces?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

So last week it came out that leaving cert students taking part in oral exams don't have to wear a mask. There's loads of measures, screens, distancing and opening windows.

And this week it's been changed and now they have to wear a mask during their oral exams.

It's just an examiner and a student in a room, you would think distance would be enough... Unless it's not about distancing anymore? Yet, there's workplaces following the back to work guidance and it's all about distancing. When will we get around to these workplaces?

The reason for the unmasking in the first place was so that clear recordings would be sent to the examiners. The SEC maintain that the control measures contained in the guidance published last week were informed by public health advice and the change has been made to ensure the full confidence of teachers and candidates.

While not strictly required under public health advice, it said said the concerns raised can be met through this additional measure.

That's the theme song being sung in the mainstream.

Majority of schools did not have perspecs screens ready for the LC orals in schools on Monday. Due to a lack of screens installed/supplied maybe the SEC had to revert back to masks wearing as a level playing field for all.

The highlight here is public health advice excuses mask wearing when perspecs screens are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Some doctors do have different opinion about wearing masks.
    https://puresocial.tv/dr-lee-merritt-md-masks-the-science/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭abff

I saw a poster in my local Maxol today. It said “staying human is more important than living in fear” above images of people shaking hands, a maskless face and people embracing. I was somewhat taken aback and asked the cashier about it. He said that he didn’t necessarily agree with it, but people are entitled to express their opinions.

Just wondering if others share his view? (For the record, I don’t agree with him that posting something like that is a matter of freedom of speech.)

abff wrote: »
    I saw a poster in my local Maxol today. It said “staying human is more important than living in fear” above images of people shaking hands, a maskless face and people embracing. I was somewhat taken aback and asked the cashier about it. He said that he didn’t necessarily agree with it, but people are entitled to express their opinions.

Just wondering if others share his view? (For the record, I don’t agree with him that posting something like that is a matter of freedom of speech.)

Do you stay human when you are dead?
    I reject the premise, it's not living in fear anymore than driving with a seatbelt on is.

There's a theory people started shaking hands to check the other person didn't have a concealed weapon... does that count as living in fear?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Some doctors do have different opinion about wearing masks.
    https://puresocial.tv/dr-lee-merritt-md-masks-the-science/

OMFG, you'll have to try harder.

• Advertisement

I do agree about freedom of speech, it's fine.

On the other hand if I would be running the local Maxol, I would use that poster for everything else apart from displaying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I agree with the Cashier.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

over time this mask thing may diminish the ability to fight through even the most basic flu.

I know that decades ago mothers put their children in with any children that had chickenpox. To build immunity.

btw the flu injection .... gives you flu.

over time this mask thing may diminish the ability to fight through even the most basic flu.
    I know that decades ago mothers put their children in with any children that had chickenpox. To build immunity.

Did they send the kids in to play with pregnant women who hadn't had chickenpox? Why not?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You haven't wondered why that's not done now?

No, a daft statement. Would the cashier hold the same opinion if the images were not of a maskless face but instead of people smoking in forecourts?

Can a flu vaccine give you flu?
    No, flu vaccines cannot cause flu illness. Flu vaccines given with a needle (i.e., flu shots) are made with either inactivated (killed) viruses, or with only a single protein from the flu virus.

Extract from the Expert Advisory Group(EAG) from this day last year 27th March 2020.

Screen-Shot-2021-03-27-at-10.00.36.png

Screen-Shot-2021-03-27-at-09.59.08.png

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Do you stay human when you are dead?
    I reject the premise, it's not living in fear anymore than driving with a seatbelt on is.

There's a theory people started shaking hands to check the other person didn't have a concealed weapon... does that count as living in fear?

Can we just step back a minute and acknowledge that this is a very mild virus for the vast, vast majority of people.

Shaking someone’s hand or giving someone a hug is not going to kill anyone. If you really believe that, and because there are vulnerable people out there, we can’t do these things ever again, I feel very sorry for you.

Parachutes wrote: »
    Can we just step back a minute and acknowledge that this is a very mild virus for the vast, vast majority of people.

Shaking someone’s hand or giving someone a hug is not going to kill anyone. If you really believe that, and because there are vulnerable people out there, we can’t do these things ever again, I feel very sorry for you.

Ever again?
    No idea what you are on about tbh.

You can pass on an infectious disease which can hospitalise or kill another person through lose contact. We have hundreds of cases a day of this disease and community transmission is occurring. So to categorically state thsts not going to kill anyone is dangerous nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You could say it's a very mild virus for those it doesn't seriously effect or kill, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭User1998

Which for the vast, vast majority of people, that’s exactly what it is, a very mild virus

User1998 wrote: »
    Which for the vast, vast majority of people, that’s exactly what it is, a very mild virus

Honestly believe there are much more suitable covid threads to accommodate you guys. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

User1998 wrote: »

Except for the 6,750 people that died in Ireland so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Noticeably a lot less people are wearing masks, which is good to see. Never worn one myself throughout this programming, but it's good to see people are finally waking up. If you die of heart disease, cancer etc and you happen to have covid then you become another covid death. Time we all move on together and ignore the brainwashing from the government and fake dishonest corrupt mass produced media.

Except for the 6,750 people that died in Ireland so far.

Pedantic perhaps,but worth a punt anyway...

Up to Yesterday 26/03, there were 4,651 confirmed Covid related deaths in This State,The Republic of Ireland.

The total population of Ireland is c. 4,979,110 ( https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/ireland-population/)

Total Covid cases to date 233,327

(https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/#the-latest-news-as-of-545pm-on-friday-26-march)

Total Covid Hospitalisations 13,423.
    Total current covid hospitalisations 304.
    Total requiring ICU 1,409.
    Total Tests completed 3,915,728.
    Total Positive tests 240,695.

(https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/hospitals-icu--testing)

Perhaps,we'll just have to worry a bit more about those concealed weapons ?

If we can just remain fearful for a bit longer,all will be well.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Noticeably a lot less people are wearing masks, which is good to see. Never worn one myself throughout this programming, but it's good to see people are finally waking up. If you die of heart disease, cancer etc and you happen to have covid then you become another covid death. Time we all move on together and ignore the brainwashing from the government and fake dishonest corrupt mass produced media.

A lot of people has been programmed by fake media alright. The fake conspiracy theory sort.
    I will stick to the science.
    Our hospitals didnt fill up in Jan cos of a spike in cancer or heart disease. It was because of covid.
    Wear a mask to protect others.
    And lets get out of this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

A lot of people has been programmed by fake media alright. The fake conspiracy theory sort.
    Our hospitals didnt fill up in Jan cos of a spike in cancer or heart disease. It was because of covid.

Jan is the same every year. After Christmas hospitals are full of people with the flue. Magically it is different this year because they are pushing the covid and vaccines agenda. Wise up, never submit to masks or vaccines with long-term health affects. Government are not there to protect you, they are there to control you.

0_JS214227485.jpg

• Advertisement

Good point.

Did we eradicate those ailments ?
    If no,where have they gone,if Covid sufferers displaced them ?

Advertisement