Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

xhomelezz wrote: »
    0_JS214227485.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D...those hats are cool...is there a link to where I can order a gross,to match my Facecovering :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,291 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Good point.

Did we eradicate those ailments ?
    If no,where have they gone,if Covid sufferers displaced them ?

I have no idea what your disingenuous post is about but it has nothing to do with masks so I wont be going down that rabbit hole here.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

:D:D:D:D:D...those hats are cool...is there a link to where I can order a gross,to match my Facecovering :D

You have to ask the guy I answered to. He is running online tinfoil business, pretty sure he will be able to serve you well

You have to ask the guy I answered to. He is running online tinfoil business, pretty sure he will be able to serve you well

A Joint-Venture perhaps ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

A Joint-Venture perhaps ?

Good idea! The two of you will take over the tinfoil world.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Good idea! The two of you will take over the tinfoil world.

Best of luck!

Thank you,we'll cut you in for the first production batch,presented with a handshake and a bear-hug on a podium in front of the GPO..

https://static.reuters.com/resources/r/?m=02&d=20200321&t=2&i=1506299181&r=LYNXMPEG2K0FT&w=640

Now that I think of it,we'll throw in a few pairs of Tinfoil Gloves as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Jan is the same every year. After Christmas hospitals are full of people with the flue. Magically it is different this year because they are pushing the covid and vaccines agenda. Wise up, never submit to masks or vaccines with long-term health affects. Government are not there to protect you, they are there to control you.

Mod

I suggest the conspiracy theory Forum. Don't post in this thread again.

Thank you,we'll cut you in for the first production batch,presented with a handshake and a bear-hug on a podium in front of the GPO..

https://static.reuters.com/resources/r/?m=02&d=20200321&t=2&i=1506299181&r=LYNXMPEG2K0FT&w=640

Now that I think of it,we'll throw in a few pairs of Tinfoil Gloves as well :)

Lol

As much as I would love to accept your kind offer, I'm afraid I have to decline. Allergy to tinfoil ruins it for me, so I have to stick with the real world.

Thanks

Think we are miles away from the topic, so back to masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

To be honest when this thread popped up first I foolishly thought that we were going to discuss the merit or not of masks. This has since turned into the mask appreciation thread. All the while its clear to see that masks make fk all difference.

When will the mask advocacy group think that maybe, just maybe they overestimated the mask effect just a little?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭amandstu

To be honest when this thread popped up first I foolishly thought that we were going to discuss the merit or not of masks. This has since turned into the mask appreciation thread. All the while its clear to see that masks make fk all difference.

When will the mask advocacy group think that maybe, just maybe they overestimated the mask effect just a little?
    What is your evidence that masks make no difference?

You say it is "clear".Please enlighten us

• Advertisement

Still at it? Yay masks?

Even now when we found out that they dont actually do a thing and the most fervent number jugglers attest that they 'may' reduce the spread up to 1.8%?

That poster just randomly pops in.....with nothing.

amandstu wrote: »
    What is your evidence that masks make no difference?

You say it is "clear".Please enlighten us

It is clear to me that it makes no or no tangible difference from all the countries that have really strict mask regimes. Really strict anywhere-past-your-front-door regimes, outside even. And they are swimming in cases. Like Poland for example. Or Spain.

I understand that you will not accept this as evidence. Fair enough.

But there was also us going all through the summer last year without masks and no significant cases. No spread to supermarket staff.

All the statistical indicators suggest it makes no difference.
    The one or two half hearted attempts at studies didnt show anything either, so they were mostly ignored.

With the best of goodwill even the most ardent mask advocate will have to admit at best the mask effect is going to be very marginal.

That poster just randomly pops in.....with nothing.

Bit like the mask effect.

As I said, absolutely nothing to back up that claim.

As I said, absolutely nothing to back up that claim.

Ok then lets turn it around.

What did masks do?

Ok then lets turn it around.

What did masks do?

Sorry, not buying this. This thread went through this so many times already. And I believe you know that.

Sorry, not buying this. This thread went through this so many times already. And I believe you know that.

But the same thing applies the other way around.

I am not going to reiterate every little thing every single time either. Its just going around in circles anyway.

I'm just sticking my head in every now and then to gauge the mood in here. OK, I admit, part of it is curiosity to see whether the 'slow children' are still at their favourite toy. But part of it is genuine curiosity how long the mask advocates can continue to ignore the lack of any tangible real-world evidence.

What is the belief here? Without masks it would be all sooo much worse? Or is it that its no biggie to ye so even if it improves the situation by half a percent its all worth it?

It is clear to me that it makes no or no tangible difference from all the countries that have really strict mask regimes. Really strict anywhere-past-your-front-door regimes, outside even. And they are swimming in cases. Like Poland for example. Or Spain.

I understand that you will not accept this as evidence. Fair enough.

But there was also us going all through the summer last year without masks and no significant cases. No spread to supermarket staff.

All the statistical indicators suggest it makes no difference.
    The one or two half hearted attempts at studies didnt show anything either, so they were mostly ignored.

With the best of goodwill even the most ardent mask advocate will have to admit at best the mask effect is going to be very marginal.
    One example might enlighten .Tell us about your first example .Poland.

What are the statistics re mask wearing in Poland and how do they show that it was ineffective there?

Spain if you prefer or are more familiar.

amandstu wrote: »
    One example might enlighten .Tell us about your first example .Poland.

What are the statistics re mask wearing in Poland and how do they show that it was ineffective there?

Spain if you prefer or are more familiar.

Masks are a restriction (of civl liberties).
    The need to provide evidence that it is effective, necessary and proportionate is on the restriction. Not the other way around.

AllI see is that some of the strictest masks countries are the worst for numbers. And still are a long way after.

But the same thing applies the other way around.

I am not going to reiterate every little thing every single time either. Its just going around in circles anyway.

I'm just sticking my head in every now and then to gauge the mood in here. OK, I admit, part of it is curiosity to see whether the 'slow children' are still at their favourite toy. But part of it is genuine curiosity how long the mask advocates can continue to ignore the lack of any tangible real-world evidence.

What is the belief here? Without masks it would be all sooo much worse? Or is it that its no biggie to ye so even if it improves the situation by half a percent its all worth it?

Just wonder what's your favourite toy.

Anyway you are just looking for a little wind up, that's all.

• Advertisement

The need to provide evidence that it is effective, necessary and proportionate is on the restriction. Not the other way around.

AllI see is that some of the strictest masks countries are the worst for numbers. And still are a long way after.

See, ridiculous claim.

If you won't back up your claims ,I will exercise my freedom to ignore you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭abff

And are seat belts also a restriction on personal freedom? Just asking ...

abff wrote: »
    And are seat belts also a restriction on personal freedom? Just asking ...

I believe so (to a degree) but it is also the case that they may involve a degree of third party harm if not used (I don't use them and have been duly punished on two or three occasions)

I personally feel it is a grey area -unlike mask wearing in a pandemic where it seems clear to me we can ,by so doing all do a small part to keep the infections as close to under control as possible.

See, ridiculous claim.

How so? They clearly are. Not sure how you want to talk that one away.

How so? They clearly are. Not sure how you want to talk that one away.

Just avoid situations when you supposed to wear one and off you go, mask free life. Simple.

Nope, masks are not restriction, last time I checked, masks are considered as PPE.

Just avoid situations when you supposed to wear one and off you go, mask free life. Simple.

Nope, masks are not restriction, last time I checked, masks are considered as PPE.

Dont be silly. Masks are whatever they are. Them being mandatory in shops & supermarkets is a restriction.

Are you gong to tell me blue is red next?

Dont be silly. Masks are whatever they are. Them being mandatory in shops & supermarkets is a restriction.

Masks are whatever they are? Yes told ya PPE (personal protective equipment).

I guess next thing considered restriction and damage to your civil liberties, will be when you asked in the shop to pay for your shopping.

Why would I tell you blue is red???

If you don't mind, I'll stop replying to you. Better things to do.

Enjoy the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It's a scientific fact wearing a mask greatly reduces the chance of getting the virus . The virus enters the body thru the nose or mouth. I wear a mask to protect you you wear a mask to protect
    yourself and others. You should wear a mask in shops any building and on the street
    Someone who says masks so not work, well it's like saying
    Most people have to go to shops to buy food at some point
    Even on the street you should wear a mask
    There s not many people who wish to stay at home 24,7
    Most people go for a walk or go to a shop
    there's no need for seat belts or
    Condoms are a waste of money they do not protect against stds
    I understand young people think ah sure its not a big deal
    I'm gonna live for ever
    And right now there's maybe 100s of people
    who have covid but do not know it
    Eg they may have mild symptoms or no symptoms
    I see people walking on the street with kids
    and they are not wearing a mask
    You could get it on the street standing in a queue
    waiting for a traffic light to change
    Many people have given up on social distancing

Google long covid if you think it's not serious or it doesn't
    effect young people who get it

And things will get better in a few months we,ll all have the jab

Yes masks are a slight inconvenience,.
    Seatbelts are a restriction we have basic rules we follow
    in society for the common good like not walking in the middle
    of the road waiting in a queue outside a shop
    We do these things for a logical reason
    If you want total freedom live on a island or in a cave
    I'd prefer to wear a mask and be in good health

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,291 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

You'll have to explain how a safety responsibility required to use a service (public transports, retail, financial service) in a shared public space is a restriction on "civil liberty".

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement