Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,301 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dr Tegnell was interviewed last week and was asked about masks. He said that the evidence for their effectiveness is weak and he pointed to countries with stringent mask rules such as Spain, France and Italy and said they continue to have high case numbers.

It would be very interesting to have a debate between Dr Tegnell and the state epidemiologist in Spain. They are poles apart in terms of masks. In Spain masks are now required when walking alone in the countryside.

Why doesnt he debate his own public health authority which recommend them on public transport?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Not sure using Tegnell as a poster boy for correct measures is a great idea. Not exactly Mr. Popular or highly regarded there for the last good while.

She's specifically talking about the negative social effects of masks and particularly in the context of children. And she's also offering her opinion at a time when deaths and case numbers have fallen dramatically in the UK.
    This raises the wider question as to what point masks should they be scrapped. There were 10 covid related deaths in the UK yesterday. Do you think it would be okay to go from them being mandatory to voluntary in the UK soon?

I think the question of masks in schools for what age groups is a complex one. For under 12s when a vaccination cycle completed is a different situation to now.

But I dont see the relevance to for example masks in shops or public transport or other indoor settings of random people.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Why doesnt he debate his own public health authority which recommend them on public transport?

He touched on that. He said they discussed masks as part of a broader discussion on additional measures in December and saw how they could potentially offer a small benefit in certain situations at certain times. That's why they recommended them, he said, for certain times on public transport.

Corholio wrote: »
    Not sure using Tegnell as a poster boy for correct measures is a great idea. Not exactly Mr. Popular or highly regarded there for the last good while.

He acknowledges that mistakes were made. I'm not saying he got everything right. I just think it'd be very interesting to have a debate between Dr Tegnell and his equivalent in Spain, Dr Fernando Simón.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think the question of masks in schools for what age groups is a complex one. For under 12s when a vaccination cycle completed is a different situation to now.

But I dont see the relevance to for example masks in shops or public transport or other indoor settings of random people.

It is complex, but I imagine it must be difficult to concentrate properly wearing a mask for hours every day. At school, I mean.

But when do you think they should be scrapped? For a lot of people they are an issue. I have seen no discussion on the conditions that need to be met in order for them to go from being mandatory to voluntary on public transport and in shops. In the UK, I mean, in the light of the plummeting numbers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

It is complex, but I imagine it must be difficult to concentrate properly wearing a mask for hours every day. At school, I mean.

But when do you think they should be scrapped? For a lot of people they are an issue. I have seen no discussion on the conditions that need to be met in order for them to go from being mandatory to voluntary on public transport and in shops. In the UK, I mean, in the light of the plummeting numbers there.

I doubt it, seriously. Unless somebody is just looking for some kind of lame excuse. Apart from peeps with some serious problems.

To be completely honest with you, I suspect, that " a lot" is soo noisy on the internet and at the end we'll all find out it's not "a lot".

The least restrictive measure (masks are proven to work), is causing brain hemorrhage for some thinkers, imo.

From the article:
    The Sunday Express has learnt that Boris Johnson is keen to start relaxing the rules at schools which have been criticised in some quarters as “child abuse.”

Journalism :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

"Ellen Townsend, professor of psychology at the university of Nottingham, has warned that masks have a damaging impact on the mental health of teenagers.

She said: “Masks are dehumanising and a constant reminder to be afraid of others."

I know people will say that a professor of psychology does not a virologist or epidemiologist make, but I think that what is missing in the debate on masks is the transformative effect they have on society, as outlined by Professor Townsend.

The salient point she makes, in my opinion: "That we are a danger to each other. Blanking out half of the face has a significant impact on communication and emotion perception."

I totally disagree with her, ask her to come on here for a debate, you can set it up, seeing you have such a horn to hear her twitch.

Not into her one bit, she is pushing a fear narrative and a lot of her takes are extremly negative. I'd say she has a tendancy to dwell in despair.

I say: “Masks are humanising and a constant reminder to be compassionate of others."

No doubt your imagination is complex. Why would you imagine that?

Seanergy wrote: »
    I totally disagree with her, ask her to come on here for a debate, you can set it up, seeing you have such a horn to hear her twitch.

Not into her one bit, she is pushing a fear narrative and a lot of her takes are extremly negative. I'd say she has a tendancy to dwell in despair.

I say: “Masks are humanising and a constant reminder to be compassionate of others."

I don't understand why people just can't debate things civilly without resorting to insults. My drawing attention to Professor Townsend's views does not mean 'I have a horn to hear her twitch'.

Is Professor Townsend to be dismissed out of hand because she doesn't praise masks?

• Advertisement

I don't understand why people just can't debate things civilly without resorting to insults. My drawing attention to Professor Townsend's views does not mean 'I have a horn to hear her twitch'.

Is Professor Townsend to be dismissed out of hand because she doesn't praise masks?

No need to jump on a phantom bourgeois horse.

Prof ET was far from being dismissed, clearly asked you to get her in thread to debate the psychology of masks in Covid-19 times.

Her obsession with fear, is nothing new, in this thread 'fear' was mentioned in 90+ posts in part1 and 70+ times so far in part2.

Here is the first post referencing fear from part1 of the masks thread by GT89(now banned) who incidentally liked your ET introductory post #3565
    Whether it be fear of getting the virus or fear of spreading it it's all fear at end at the end of the day . The masks serve a constant reminder of this fear. Maybe if people just forget about the virus and stop thinking about it the fear would disappear. The masks serve as a constant reminder of this fear.

No need to jump on a phantom bourgeois horse.

Prof ET was far from being dismissed, clearly asked you to get her in thread to debate the psychology of masks in Covid-19 times.

Her obsession with fear, is nothing new, in this thread 'fear' was mentioned in 90+ posts in part1 and 70+ times so far in part2.

Here is the first post referencing fear from part1 of the masks thread by GT89(now banned) who incidentally liked your ET introductory post #3565

Sorry, I misunderstood your post.

I just think a debate on masks would be fascinating. Especially a debate based on the approach adopted by Sweden and the approach adopted by Spain. Maybe such a debate has happened, but I just missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I wear mask indoors in public spaces, to protect me, to reduce viral load, end of

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

It is complex, but I imagine it must be difficult to concentrate properly wearing a mask for hours every day.

But when do you think they should be scrapped? For a lot of people they are an issue. I have seen no discussion on the conditions that need to be met in order for them to go from being mandatory to voluntary on public transport and in shops.
    /QUOTE]

The mask is awful. If you do have just a heavy cold, it is like a Kleenex hankie about the face all the time. Very necessary to take off the mask and to use the Kleenex. The mask is like an indication of financial leprosy.

'When will they be scrapped?' - well, to be cynical - when the PUP is ended at the end of June. though hopefully before then.

The Biden administration launches a $500,000 contest to improve face mask designs.

LINK

We all know face masks can be troublesome to wear. They can irritate your skin, hurt your ears and fog up your glasses.

That's why the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has launched the $500,000 "Mask Innovation Challenge" to find new and effective masks people will find more comfortable to wear.
    Contest participants have until April 21 to submit innovative ideas that would help eliminate common concerns that come with wearing masks while making sure they effectively protect against the coronavirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The Biden administration launches a $500,000 contest to improve face mask designs.

LINK

We all know face masks can be troublesome to wear. They can irritate your skin, hurt your ears and fog up your glasses.

That's why the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) has launched the $500,000 "Mask Innovation Challenge" to find new and effective masks people will find more comfortable to wear.
    Contest participants have until April 21 to submit innovative ideas that would help eliminate common concerns that come with wearing masks while making sure they effectively protect against the coronavirus.

Sounds a bit like this
    If you can build a better (more pleasurable) condom, Bill Gates has $100,000 for you

People who don't want to wear them will always claim they chafe or whatever...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 111John111

Hello,

I've been living in England, and am moving back to Ireland in a few day.
    Over here I've been saying that I'm medically exempt if any cops ask about face masks, but I can't find any clear answers about this for Ireland, does this work in Ireland, and can anyone link me to the actual law on this and the exemptions?

I'm coming back by ferry. What about the Passenger Locator Form, is it being checked that people have filled this in?

Cheers

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Sounds a bit like this
    If you can build a better (more pleasurable) condom, Bill Gates has $100,000 for you

People who don't want to wear them will always claim they chafe or whatever...

Not in the slightest and if the condom is hurting your ears and or fogs up your glasses maybe you should try putting it on your other head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

masks (or to be more accurate - face coverings) are a load of sh1te. Impact is negligible and so called "mask - mandates" are just make believe to keep the easily wound up calm.

The only reason to wear them is to avoid confrontation which in itself is troubling.

• Advertisement

paw patrol wrote: »
    masks (or to be more accurate - face coverings) are a load of sh1te. Impact is negligible and so called "mask - mandates" are just make believe to keep the easily wound up calm.

The only reason to wear them is to avoid confrontation which in itself is troubling.

Seems like you are wound up about it.
    Careful now.
    That might mark you out as one of the easily wound up?

Jeez, after more than a year in this and people still posting the same nonsense. Amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The reason to wear a mask is to protect yourself from getting covid ,
    which is airborn, and also to protect others ,
    from getting the virus.
    if you want to walk around not wearing a mask, you are potentially risking getting a potentially deadly virus.
    And if you get the virus you are also putting your family in danger.
    unless you live by yourself and never go near any other person.
    And you will not be allowed to go inside a shop.
    the government did not shut down 1000,s of business,s as a joke or as part of a weird conspiracy theory.
    we are in lockdown to prevent the spread of covid 19 and also to prevent
    our health service being overwhelmed .
    We have a limited no of icu beds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

riclad wrote: »
    from getting the virus.
    if you want to walk around not wearing a mask, you are potentially risking getting a potentially deadly virus.
    the government did not shut down 1000,s of business,s as a joke or as part of a weird conspiracy theory.

Ah now, do you expect people to care?

riclad wrote: »
    from getting the virus.

Why has been far more deaths and case numbers in Spain, where masks are required everywhere, than in Norway?

I checked about masks in Norway. Masks are mandatory in the following situations only:

Wearing a face mask is mandatory if you are over 12 years of age when:

You travel by public transport from the place of arrival to the place where you will be in quarantine

You leave Norway prior to completing your quarantine duty period and travel by public transport to your place of departure

The municipal doctor specifically assesses your situation while you are in transmission quarantine to travel by public transport in order to reach a suitable place of residence.

Source: https://www.helsenorge.no/en/coronavirus/face-masks/#recommendations-on-the-use-of-face-masks

My concern has always been what conditions have to be met in order for them to be scrapped, or made voluntary.

In the UK SAGE are saying they'll be required until next year at least:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9437665/Boris-confirms-shops-reopen-Monday-lockdown-roadmap-doubt.html

"You call this freedom? Boris offers a future full of endless Covid rules with vaccine passports almost certainly needed for mass events, travel abroad and even work – as SAGE predicts social distancing and masks will be needed for another YEAR"

Is that the kind of society people want to live in?

My concern has always been what conditions have to be met in order for them to be scrapped, or made voluntary.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9437665/Boris-confirms-shops-reopen-Monday-lockdown-roadmap-doubt.html

"You call this freedom? Boris offers a future full of endless Covid rules with vaccine passports almost certainly needed for mass events, travel abroad and even work – as SAGE predicts social distancing and masks will be needed for another YEAR"

As I thought so, your goal is somewhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I want to live in a society that is safe, thank you very much.

Why has been far more deaths and case numbers in Spain, where masks are required everywhere, than in Norway?

I checked about masks in Norway. Masks are mandatory in the following situations only:

Wearing a face mask is mandatory if you are over 12 years of age when:

You travel by public transport from the place of arrival to the place where you will be in quarantine

You leave Norway prior to completing your quarantine duty period and travel by public transport to your place of departure

The municipal doctor specifically assesses your situation while you are in transmission quarantine to travel by public transport in order to reach a suitable place of residence.

Source: https://www.helsenorge.no/en/coronavirus/face-masks/#recommendations-on-the-use-of-face-masks

Norway is a low density country bordered by low density countries. Spain is a country with a large tourism dependent sector. Norways largest city has a population one fifth of Madrid. Madrids population is 80 percent that of Norway as a whole.

They are also recommended in norway:
    The Government also recommends that face masks are used in the following situations (not time restricted):
    All places where it is not possible to keep two meters away from others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,559 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

111John111 wrote: »
    Hello,

I've been living in England, and am moving back to Ireland in a few day.
    Over here I've been saying that I'm medically exempt if any cops ask about face masks, but I can't find any clear answers about this for Ireland, does this work in Ireland, and can anyone link me to the actual law on this and the exemptions?

I'm coming back by ferry. What about the Passenger Locator Form, is it being checked that people have filled this in?

Cheers
    Saying your medically exempt? So your not? You just don't want to wear one?
    Pretty strict here in shops and especially public transport tbh thankfully.

Advertisement